About piecing: BOM - who has done one they love?

Sylvia, I have never done a BOM, but I'm thinking about doing one, does that count for anything? :P I have been in the guild for four years and they have a mystery BOM every year. This year I did one block so far and I have good intentions of making the quilt. Hmmm, we shall see! Maybe the trick to getting a BOM done is to pay for it because money can be a motivator. :P A week or two ago I was browsing the Stitchin' Heaven web site, they have some beautiful BOMs.

Both of your quilts will be beautiful and I look forward to seeing the pictures when they are completed.

Well, Debbie, we will have to compare when done!

Carmen, I bought the Dancing with the Stars BOM from Stitchin Heaven this week while Mike was in the hospital. I think I will just buy the fabrics and do it as I please (if the instructions tell me how much of each fabric to purchase).

I wanted to do the TAOS BOM but it is not offered anymore. I love that one!

Sylvia, I have my sister's Taos quilt here to be quilted. She purchased the pattern, selected the fabrics and made it on her own. I found this site where you can order BOM, or you could do a Google search and find others where you can still get it.

http://www.quiltnbee.biz/shop/BOM.htm

I looked at the Dancing with the Stars and it is gorgeous! I'm going to have to knuckle down and sign up for a BOM!

Debbie, I love your quilt!

I am addicted to BOM's. I think I have 4 going right now. Somehow doing one block seems doable while making a whole quilt is sometime intimidating. I have a Tonga Batiks, Bunny Hill (all hand applique that's gonna take a little time), our guild log cabin variations and my local shop BOM. I have a Debbie Mumm top done - just needs quilting. I have vowed to not start another one til some of these are actually finished. The Bunny Hill designs are beautiful and if you like to take handwork with you when you go places, they are great. If you don't like handwork, well, don't go there!

Sylvia,

I have made 2 BOM. One was the pumpkin & the other was a red, white, blue with the preprinted Eagle panels going down for sashing. I won a blue ribbon on both quilts at our Monarch Quilt Show in the years past. My problem was waiting each month for them to be sent so I finally ordered them to be sent all at once. Loved making them.

Diana

Debbie, your bird quilt is beautiful!!!! I am not-so-much with the applique although they make the prettiest quilts, I think!

Carmen, I will order the TOAS pattern and try my best to get similar fabrics. The one for the BOM is perfect for my tastes. I tend to lean towards the fall colors - but you know you have visited me and I so hope you will again!!!! And bring the babies!!!

Sunflower, hand applique to just not my cuppa. I love how it looks but I don't want to do it. That is like torture for me to go that slowly!

Diana, you are right, waiting is the hard part. Funny, on one of the BOMs I was busy and had four before I even started the first one so now it seems like I am on fire!!!!! Ha!

I have done one BOM, but that was years ago, about 12 to 15 years ago. It was an appliqued angel quilt. I bought it in Omaha from a quilt shop...hm, I'll get it out and photo it later when the light is good. I am not much of a BOM person, but loved the angels.

Let's put it this way...I've started 2 BOM's in the past. Reading between the lines, that means I've finished zero! LOL! One I became disenchanted with after the second block. The shop supplied kits and the fabrics were way off from the samples. Still have all the kits and patterns so, who knows, it may get finished some day or could show up in our guild's garage sale. The second I fell far behind in the homework and think that one has already found a new home. Did I learn my lesson....NO! I just started the Gardener's Alphabet BOM. I am going to put my best effort into keeping up with the homework because I know if I get behind, it's like a snowball rolling down a hill with me inside.

I'm doing Mimi's Bloomers by Erin Russek. Here is the link. She gives you a free block every month and you just buy the center pattern. I'm way behind on this though. I am on my 2nd block. Life just keeps getting in my way! I'm going to prepare a few more blocks so that I can do it when I have some free time. I using different colors for the flowers and the same green through out. I haven't decided if I'll do the potted pot block in the 4 corners or if I'll use one of the other blocks. For now I'm doing just one of each and then once they are done I'll do the other 3 corners. http://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-piece-at-a-time/mimis-bloomers/

block 6 just got posted and not yet on the full quilt part. Here is the link forhttp://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-piece-at-a-time/ block 6:

Archived