Should I change my needle after this?

Who knew that your machine could sew through such thick plastic? I found that I had to use my seam ripper to let this last quilt off of the leaders because of the short backing - I actually sewed through the pins at one point....

2821848590104810669S425x425Q85.jpg

of course I am joking - I will change it before the next quilt goes on!

Been there done that a dozen times. In fact I've seen it sew through my finger wthout breaking too!. I hate short backings. Can't figure out why they would make these intricately pieced works and then can't figure out how much 4 inches larger is.

Oh, I could go on and on......,. lol and yes, I would probably change the needle. lol.

Carol :)

Wow! My greatest fear...well, one of my greatest fears....has been to run over a pin! I thought all kinds of bad things would happen! Of course, I wll try not to let that happen...lol...but glad to see that my machine won't explode!! But, yes, change the needle....heheheh

I have attempted to sew my finger, luckily I have acrylic nails. It bent the needle, broke the acrylic and just made my finger sore. I actually was thinking about taking them off until that happened. They have saved me several times. For some reason I keep getting my finger too close to the hopping foot too. So they are well worth the time and expense. Milli never missed a beat, but the needles don't make it thru it tho.

Glad its not just me.

Shirley

That's what I was so amazed at - that it didn't do anything to my machine or needle, in fact, that was along the bottom row and then I finished doing piano key borders up both sides all the way from the bottom to the top and this was a really big quilt - I'll post pics as soon as my customer picks it up...

I am saving the pins to show her why the backing needs to be bigger, in fact, I am doing Sandra's presentation at my guild meeting next Monday and think I'll save those pins to bring along...

all that to say - we do have great machines!!!! Thanks APQS!

Guest Linda S

The only reason I don't have pins like that is -- I don't pin!! I've actually sewn through my zippers a couple of times. Oddly enough, the needle didn't break and it didn't damage the zippers enough to make them unusable. Yes, we definitely have some powerful and amazing machines.

I don't use the flower head pins... I use the Corsage Pins with the big bulb on the end. Even tho I have zippers, I actually still prefer to pin to my leaders. The only time I use my zippers is to zip on/off my practice sandwich piece, or a long-term piece that I am working on... that will take many months of quilting so I can zip on/zip off quickly.

Anyway glad all is well... yes, definitely show these at the guild meeting. Too funny.

Archived