Rotary Blade sharpener

Guest Linda S

I have the electric True-Cut Rotary Blade Sharpener and it rocks. The kind that you have to manually twist back and forth do not work. Also, I've heard the kind that you push the blade through the slot do not work well either.

Guest Linda S

I got mine wholesale from EE Schenck. I think the best price I've seen them retail has been at Nancy's Notions, but that was a while ago. We had a discussion about them over on Machine Quilter's Resource and there were several people who liked this model. Yes, it's the True Sharp Power Rotary Blade Sharpener

Linda

Guest Linda S

You will eventually need to have the extra stones. They last quite a while and you can turn them. Well, if you can budge them! I've had some difficulty trying to move mine, but it is possible. You will eventually need to buy more honing oil, and if you keep the stones clean, they will last a long time.

• 5 months later...

My DH gave me one for Christmas and I have tried several blades which come out with a rough finish and the blande doesn't cut as well as it did before. I think I may have done some thing wrong. Any tips on which stones are better or how the blades should sit...? Do you run it for more than the 30 seconds? I love the idea of having this sharpener I need some HELP please, before I return it.

I have the True Sharp and it does an OK job; my husband sharpens knives professionally by hand and he usually does the sharpening for me. If they are nicked then he runs them through twice on the rough stone first and then twice on the fine stone. If he is just touching up then he only uses the fine stone. He said if they would use diamond stones it would be far superior. Nothing out-cuts a brand new blade; and they tell you that. These sharpened blades do have their place for some cutting jobs - I save some for paper and also pass them along to scrap-bookers in my family.

Bonnie Hunter reviewed the Tru-Cut sharpener and posted a video on her blog sometime in December. She gave it a favorable review but said you need lots of oil and that the blades shouldn't be nicked or very dull. She thought it worked best if you sharpened your blades before each project and kept them fairly sharp. Bonnie's blog address is quiltville.blogspot.com I have seen these on Amazon and I've been thinking of getting one.

Archived