Air erasable marker

Guest Linda S

I like the Marvy purple air erase markers by Uchida. They actually have an eraser end if they don't go away fast enough. However, here in Oregon, there are times when the design disappears before I make it to the end of my tracing! ;)

I like the Marvy purple ones too - I've had marks disappear overnight, and since we don't have any humidity to speak of, I think that's pretty good! I've also purchased the Marvy pink ones and blue ones, but I haven't used either of those on a quilt yet.

You need to be very careful with the Frixion pens. They are great on light fabrics, but on dark, they will leave a "snail trail"..lighter, shiny mark. I haven't been able to wash the marks out on test fabrics. A friend used them to mark on white satin fabric, and they left very distinct light lines that would not come out. She had to completely re-do her embroidery project as a result. I would do a test mark before I marked a whole quilt, especially a customer one. I use them for marking seam allowances, matching points on piecing, and applique placements.

Guest Linda S

The Frixion pen marks actually have to get below 14°F to re-appear. We generally don't get that cold here in Eugene unless we put our quilts in the freezer. I can, however, still see slight marks from the pens on light fabric. Generally, I've quilted or put applique over those marks, so it doesn't really matter.

Linda,

Rarely do we store our finished quilts outdoors, so the winter temps aren't the concern - it's shipping a quilt to a show (via high-altitude aircraft or long-haul brown trucks) and having it delivered with marks that the show personnel won't take ANY steps to remove. WE are willing to take an iron or hair dryer to our quilts - they are not.

The Frixion pens can be a great tool - you just have to know ahead of time what you are getting into - and how to get it OUT. That's true with ANY marker.;)

I generally use the blue or black one to make registration marks on light fabric. Sometimes they need a second going over with the blow dryer as some of the lines will reappear, but generally thats it. And I tell my customers about the pen just in case a faint mark shows up later. So far so good. I so much prefer using these over anything else. My customers don't seem to mind and actually like that I introduce them to a cool new product.

;)

Jess

I have tried using frixon pens and on some fabrics they leave a grey or white line. I marked on red & black mottled fabric with a black pen. I cannot get it out with the iron. It leaves a grey line . I am going to try some marker remover. I hope this does the job. I will be very cautious using the markers from now on. My fs assured me they would come out completely with ironing.

Archived