A cautionary tale. You've heard it before.

A while ago I shared a Cattails in the Meadow quilt where it was to be a wedding quilt so the maker subbed hearts for the cattails.

My customer placed one red heart prominently.

She washed it. The red bled. She didn't remove it immediately so she had several red blotches scattered across the quilt. So sad...:(

Following some professional advice (not from me) she treated it with several substances and after a final treatment which removed the majority of the red dye transfer, she again washed it. And left it in the washer too long. The dark greens and dark blues bled. OMG--the quilt had been wet and dried four times. It had been treated with Synthrapol and Retayne finally. And it still bled.

She presented it as-is to the couple, who probably never will notice the funny blotches scattered over the batiks she used, so all's well for them. But she will probably always consider this time-consuming and expensive quilt a failure. What a shame.

post--13461909078852_thumb.jpg

It sounds like the problem wasn't failing to pre-wash...it was leaving it sit in the washer wet...twice. Then possibly putting it in the dryer before all the blotches had been removed after several treatments. Who knows...but it looks good now. Very pretty.

Originally posted by oma

It sounds like the problem wasn't failing to pre-wash...it was leaving it sit in the washer wet...twice. Then possibly putting it in the dryer before all the blotches had been removed after several treatments. Who knows...but it looks good now. Very pretty.

Sorry to say, that's the "before" picture.:(

I love the crinkle effect of shrinking cottons and 100% cotton battings so I am very guilty of not pre=washing but many moons ago my mom taught me to wash all new garments in cold water and if its a really dark color soak it in ice water to lock in the color so it does not bleed in the future when washed with other garments ,thus far it has worked very well for me ,now when it comes to my quilts I turn off the hot water connection that leads into my washer because my washer mixes the water to reach a minimum cold temp , plus the fact we have well water so it is icy cold by the time it reaches the washer just an added bonus , and I do not let my quilts sit in the waher or dryer , but I do put my quilts through the heavy duty cycle just to make sure no seams come apart which has happened twice but now I know its made to last a lifetime with normal washings from the new owners .I use a lot of white in my quilts so I guess thats why I am so extra cautious .

Guest Linda S

I prewash all of my fabrics in HOT HOT water with retayne. If you like the crinkly look, Queenie, believe me, you will get a nice crinkly look to your quilts even if you pre-wash. I always do.

Linda R or whoever might have thoughts about this. Would it have helped this quilt if the very first wash was done using Synthrapol or Retayne, or do you think she would have had this problem anyway? Or what would you have done with this quilt knowing the fabrics had not been prewashed, and you wanted to wash it?

Linda S, do you worry about colour fading using really hot water when you prewash your fabrics?

It may have helped but I think lots of reds tend to be "defective" for lack of better word, I think that red will bleed forever. for what ever reason they just don't set right. I would suggest a color catcher every time it's washed it will be less each time and lucky its a small heart.

if I catch a red that bleeds I throw it away. not worth the trouble.

I'm a compulsive pre-washer too...especially reds & hot pinks which I might wash multiple times with color catchers. Loved Maggie's idea about stitching a small bit of muslin to red before washing...that would help check for crocking too! Thanks for sharing tips, everyone.

Archived