Place to buy thread and batting in central Iowa

Welcome to the forum!

Lots of online vendors are happy to sell you supplies. These may or may not require a business license and/or a minimum purchase.

Do you have a business license? If not, I actually recommend you use JoAnn's coupons to stock up on batting. Buy what you know and like. Warm battings are what most home quilters use and are acceptable for most applications. I recommend Warm Co. Soft and Bright--their 100% poly batting, to many of my customers for charity and utility quilts. The blended battings at JoAnns work perfectly well as long as you're familiar with them (I hate the bamboo/cotton--so linty I always feel like I need to wear a mask when I use that one!)

Thread is a different story. You may not find a local supplier for longarm-strength thread. Superior, as mentioned by Shirley, is well-accepted. Many love Fil-tec thread, Signature is great, Metro is wonderful and inexpensive, etc. Check locally by doing a search on the various websites for stores within your zip code. If none are close to you, order on-line.

My favorite site for quick service and almost-wholesale prices on thread is www.sewthankful.com

I prefer the look and feel of the NOT cotton battings. I have used a bit of wool and it works nicely like my poly thinsulate worked. The wool I like is Quilter's Dream, I think Lyn Heilman on here sells it. Every once in a while she even posts with a sale. So far I haven't seen the wool in general stores only quilt shops.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Where in Central Iowa are you? I live in Oskaloosa..........I usually buy my batting and thread online. Threads from Superior or Fil-Tec. I like to buy batting by the roll, as I think it is more economical and less waste than the package batts. I buy that from Quilted Memories........... www.quiltedmemoriesllc.com.......Hobbs Batting. She is in Kansas City area. I also buy batting from Quiltbug.com..............Quilter's Dream batting. Both give good service. It just depends on what batting you like.

The Sewing House in Ottumwa has some packaged battings - Hobbs, Quilter's Dream, Warm. They also carry a huge line of Isacord thread.

Welcome to the forum. It you like Quilters Dream batting and you are not able to buy wholesale try this site, prices include shipping. The service is great.

http://www.quilternatives.com

For Isacord or Floriani thread this site has great prices. For cones of Floriani look under the link for FuFu. The spools are sold under the Floriani name and the spool as FuFu for some reason!

http://www.sewingmachine.com/Embroidery-Thread-Thread/b/2277113011?ie=UTF8&title=Embroidery+Thread

As others have mentioned SewThankful is a good site and has great service.

Welcome to the forum! I sell Hobbs batting by the roll and packages, Superior Threads, Fil-Tek( Glide ) Thread, Quilter's Rule, Constantine Templates, notions, wide backs and much more. I offer wholesale and retail pricing. Please feel free to call or e-mail. Our website is www.quiltedmemoriesllc.com . We offer free shipping on all web orders $100 or more.

Archived