tables turned?

I quilt for a woman who is justifiably proud of her piecing, loves to piece but not to quilt so she has "adopted" me as her longarmer.

She entered a quilt in a recent big show and on her entry she wrote "Made by Paula Piecer with help from Linda Rech." She didn't write that I had quilted it, just that I "helped" her.

I was listed as co-maker of the quilt on all print material--certainly not what she had wanted or expected I'm sure!!

It makes me giggle a bit--she didn't give proper credit to me as a professional quilter. Perhaps she thought she was being cute or coy. I was a bit startled as I read her description when I saw the quilt hanging at the show but noticed later in the show book they had a different interpretation of "helper" and listed me as co-owner/maker.

Next quilt I do for her I'll have a place for her to sign the "credit the quilter/share the awards/quilter gets the ribbon if it wins a quilting award/don't tick me off" disclaimer.

Such a strange world sometimes....:o

Guest Linda S

Makes you wonder, doesn't it? One of my customers won a blue at the fair, but it was a piecing award. I still like to think that it was the awesome quilting that drew the judges' attention to begin with! I was happy for her and didn't begrudge that award. I was listed as the quilter.

Don't know why I'm always amazed at someone's ability to do what she did with no guilt. "Help"?

Sheesh, make you a bet that quilt was much more beautiful because YOU quilted it. Good on your for the disclaimer. I have one on my intake form and the first time I quilt for anyone, they have to initial and date it.

Hahahaha that blew up in her face didn't it? Now it is in writing that you are co/owner! I'd ask to share in the winnings too. I'm lucky my customers always give me credit for the quilting, not that I always get the ribbons and no prize money but at least they give credit where credit is due. I'll be curious to hear if she says anything to you about it.

Locally at the fair a lady entered her quilt properly made by and quilted by but at state fair she entered it in all done by her. My friend had pieced and quilted her own but being her first time entering accidentally put it in 2 person catagory. The lady asked her if hers were in the correct class. My friend had realized her mistake as well as the lady's and commented that no I put it in the wrong class but you have entered before and so did you. The lady was speachless having been caught. She didn't think anyone could know. My friend and I have a little joke now. As her only comment to work on was her piecing and her quilter side did quite well. So know whenee talk I give her a hard time about her piecer side. Her piecing to be envied.

Shirley

This is such an uncomfortable area as there doesn't seem to be any proper quilt etiquete (sp) for how to handle show entries as far as the piecer and quilter goes, it seems like every show is differant as far as credit, prizes, and awards. I just wish the quilt show person in charge (whoever that may be) would set standards that all shows would go by...and all credit would be given where it is due. We need a national set of standards! I know...I'm just dreaming and just spouting off - hope I didn't offend anyone but just a thought.

I agree with you Vicki. At the big shows usually the rules are strict and categories adhered to. As you enter smaller shows--usually county and regional fairs and many times Guild shows, the guidelines are sometimes blurred and categories combined. Organizers of all shows--big and small--make lots of decisions as to categories, sizes, two-person verses solo, hand quilted/machine quilted/freemotion/computerized. And they all depend upon the entrants to be honest. If the rules say no quilts over two years old--so be it. No quilts that have won awards in other shows--OK. If you hired a quilter--state that fact and name them. If you side-stepped the paid-for-quilting category and enter the quilt as a collaboration--well, it better be one. I think the issue is that there is no way to check on the facts stated and there are cheaters out there for sure.

I think "Quilt Show Etiquette" is too soft and sweet. It should be "Quilt Show Iron-clad Rules of Behavior and Expectations of Fair Play." Oh well....;)

Now, not to get anyone's dander up or even up on their hind legs.... a slightly different perspective

I am a 'new er' long armer. I previously did it all on short arm or even quilt as you go. From that perspective, I was simply uneducated on this 'idea' of the quilter. I did not have any work that I had quilted by someone else, but am around most piecers in the sewing circles I am in. I have not yet long armed for someone else yet either. I do totally see the LA point of view - but I must confess - this is a newer understanding for me. I simply did not even think about it.

So I would say - perhaps it is an educational moment for those piecers. They may be simply thinking of the design or whatever and really they do not understand / comprehend what skill goes into the quilting portion of the project.

Jus' sayin' maybe education is the answer...

:cool:

We had a lady in our little group that just pitched a fit one year because one of own members put a quilt in our quilt show that she quilted, but did not piece ! It was stated so on the description card with the quilt. "Pieced by.......Quilted by......" This same lady who pitched the fit, routinely showed quilts that SHE pieced but had someone else do the long arm quilting ! She also won ribbons at the State Fair with those quilts, but in her mind that was different. She made the quilt and hired someone to quilt it.......She did list her quilter's name on the entries.

I'm sure there might be some out there who just don't realize what they are doing and then there are others who know full well what they are doing ! Too bad it has to be that way.

I sort of feel a rub if I have to compete with a "computer aided" quilter when I am doing "hand guided". No offense to those who have the computers, but in a competition they should be judged separately. I think the big shows do, but in our little County Fair Open Class, this was a problem this past summer. Maybe they will add another category for next year. They finally split up the "hand quilted" from the "Machine Quilted" because we had a judge who was so biased toward the hand quilted that the machine quilted items were pretty much disregarded from the git go. Made a LOT of people very angry.

Originally posted by LibbyG

I'm pretty sure at the Lancaster AQS show in PA this year that the best longarm quilting was done by a machine. I can't understand how a machine can be the best quilter.

Libby--did you mean by a computerized machine?

If there is only one "best" ribbon for machine quilting most shows lump all machine quilting together. There are several fantastic DSM quilters doing show-quality machine quilting--in fact last year at MQSWest a DSM quilter won a big award for quilting. And a huge brown fully-computerized quilt with great digitized patriotic motifs won a big quilting award recently as well. I guess do the best you can, be honest when you enter, and let the work stand on its own.

I was gaping at a gorgeous quilt at a big show last week and when reading the specs on the label, the maker said she had quilted the whole thing on a domestic machine. It was stunning! As I looked and looked at a feather motif that repeated perfectly around, I noticed that it was even and had an exact sequence and angle for each stitch. Comparing notes with the white-glove lady she shared that most of the motifs were digitized and stitched in the hoop to be later appliqued on! She flipped over the back to show me the single line of stitching for the feathers where there was a double line on top--a thread that matched the background and a thicker contrasting thread for the motif. And the whole small triangle was appliqued on. So, my point is-- I guess it doesn't matter how you get there as long as you adhere to the rules of the show. :cool:

Originally posted by VIVIANMABLE

We had a lady in our little group that just pitched a fit one year because one of own members put a quilt in our quilt show that she quilted, but did not piece ! It was stated so on the description card with the quilt. "Pieced by.......Quilted by......" This same lady who pitched the fit, routinely showed quilts that SHE pieced but had someone else do the long arm quilting ! She also won ribbons at the State Fair with those quilts, but in her mind that was different. She made the quilt and hired someone to quilt it.......She did list her quilter's name on the entries.

Same situation at our guild show. A lady who pieces and hires a longarmer for hers actually SAID to me "Well the piecing is more important than the quilting, so mine is ok, but yours shouldn't have been entered" Makes me want to make a wholecloth and title it "The QUILTING makes the quilt!" :cool:

Gotta love my husband...he was sitting here with me over lunch reviewing the board and he says:

"It's only a quilt when it's been hand pieced and hand quilted".....he so loves to instigate arguments--haha....and he's put up with a machine in the house for 13 years now....he's so funny!

I reminded him that he'd be pretty cold in his recliner if he had to wait for me to hand piece/quilt something!

Archived