Washing Fabric

Hello Everyone,

I am a lurker?.I have never posted here before and I don?t own a long arm machine. I do though have dreams of one day owning a longarm and I have looked around on these message boards for some time now. I love how everyone helps one another out with any problem they may have. I also like to see all the pictures of the work everyone has done.

I learned how to sew in high school some thirty years ago and was hooked. I have been sewing quilt tops for about sixteen years. I always send my tops to a wonderful lady in Flower Mound Texas that quilts them for me.

I do have a question for everyone. When you are making a quilt. How do you wash your fabric to prepare it for the quilt? I ask this because this is the way I do it. I wash my fabric out in the kitchen sink. I don?t use soap?I just wash it in clean water. I then put it in my washer in the spin cycle to get out the excess water out. Then I put it in the dryer.

I used to have a washer that had a gently cycle and I would put it in there to wash it. My washer now does not have that cycle and I don?t like the way it all frays together in the regular cycle. Sometimes I feel like I am doing it the long about way but I want my fabric to be done right. How do you prepare your fabric for a quilt top?

Again I enjoy reading all the post that I hope someday will help me when it comes time to purchase my own longarm machine.

Cindy in Texas

Some fabrics I wash. I serge the edges first so no raveling. I generally hang them out on the washline as the dryer wrinkles them too much. I take them in and while they are still cold, give them a quick press and hang them on skirt hangers. There are some that I do not wash as I want that crisp new look for some of the quilts. Right now I am not quilting much. I have some shoulder problems (rotator cup) and can't get to see the orthopedic doctor until the 22nd. I have been piecing a few more quilt tops. Don't know if or when I will be able to get them quilted. I still have about 8 or 10 tops to do. These are all my own as I am not good enough to quilt for others. I have one on the machine now that I try to do a little at a time. I am trying some panto and some freehand. Not doing well at all..

Cindy,

I like to prewash in a lingerie bag, you know, mesh with a zipper. If there's a fair amount of fabric, I fold it up almost to the size of the bag and it does't get too wrinkled that way. I have also heard that trimmin the sides with pinking shears will keep it from ravelling, but I have never tied it.

Marion,

I hope your shoulder gets better soon. I'm sure you are a very good quilter, and probably your own worse critic. I hope you are back to quilting pain free soon.

Tina

Cindy,

First off welcome....to answer your question regarding washing fabrics. I personally don't wash my fabrics UNLESS there is an obvious reason of bleeding....REDS are the worst for bleeding. But then I have been known not to wash those either and have taken my chances with the end results.

The reason I don't wash my fabrics is as I said a personal one....I want my finished quilts to shrink up a bit and look like they are antique, and you can't get the major antique effect if you have washed all your fabrics. There are some who will wash their fabrics of the tops and not the batting and backing fabrics...you do get a bit of antiquing that way, but I'm looking for that really really worn look so that it why I don't wash first.

When I bring new fabrics into the house I spray starch them with a very heavy starch so that I get a very clean cut and CRISP points. I have better luck with star points when the fabric is stiff, and I don't have to worry about bias edges if the fabric is starched. It all washes out in the first wash, and the quilts are soft and have antiqued like I want them to.

You don't have to be so gentle with your fabrics. I was reading how you do it, and you don't have to be so gentle... When I do wash a fabric, I use the hottest water I can, a normal agitation, a mild soap, and dry it in the dryer on a cotton setting....that will take out absolutely all the shrink and you won't have to worry about it shrinking again...

On this subject I'm sure you'll get lots of opinion on whether to wash or not wash at all. All I say to people is that we have to agree to disagree. To each his own!

I wash all my cottons, purely out of habit I guess! I do like to work with them once they soften up, but on the other hand ~ good quality fabrics of today seem pretty soft already, so go figure!

I wash them like I would my everyday laundry. And, yes, the edges ravel, I've heard that clipping the corners of the fabric first would deter this.

I don't like doing laundry, I hate ironing....but....I find something satisfying in washing, drying and pressing new fabric (sick, I know ;)).

So, do what pleases you, but I agree that you don't have to worry about being so gentle with your fabrics that you have to hand-wash them in the sink...just my opinion.

Sandra

Cindy,

I'm from the same school as Bonnie on washing fabric. I don't.

I know we used to have to worry about the chemicals in the dyes and the processing, it used to irritate some folks. I have scads of allergies but have never had problems with fabric.

I think about the only time I would pre-wash is if I was making a quilt that had some fabric I bought at Walmart or Joanns mixed in with quality cotton fabric. :o I will freely admit that I am a fabric snob. I want the good stuff. :) I want the fabric to have a nice hand and a consistent weave, no slubs or irregularities.

I spend a lot of time building a quilt. I want it to last a good long time. And about that time, I will spend endless hours piecing and quilting. I don't want to spend any time standing at the sink or washer or ironing board washing and then pressing my unpieced fabric into submission. :( T-e-d-i-o-u-s. Quilting is supposed to be FUN. Washing, drying, ironing, huh. That's not fun, that's housework. :P

Golly, I hate ironing so much, I would probably pay somebody to press my quilt tops before I quilt them. How's that for the opposite of Domestic Goddess? :cool:

I never wash fabric first. Companies like thimbleberries even include a flyer (when you buy a whole bolt of it so maybe your LQS isn't showing it to anyone) with their fabrics explaining why you don't have to prewash and even why you shouldn't. I personally don't have the time to prewash, I do at least 50 charity quilts and at least 20-30 other quilts per year plus raising kids and helping with our rental house business. I also don't like the look of prewashed fabric even after ironing. My quilts never bleed or shrink too much but I only use good quality quilting fabric, never WalMart type stuff. Hope that helps, just an opinion but I think if you buy the good stuff you get the good quilts.

Cher

I only prewash fabrics I suspect will run. Sometimes I miss one that is trouble, sometimes I wash ones I didn't need to, but it makes me feel better. Dark solids always get washed if the final product will be. As Are batiks. On the other hand for art, I don't prewash.

Ferret

I always prewash. I had a really bad experience with "color fast" fabric that bled like crazy when I steam pressed the top to help square it up.

I test every fabric first - throw several in the sink and look for running. The worst are of course reds & batiks, but also blues, browns and oranges. Sometimes I've had to rinse a fabric 7 times before it stopped running. If it continues to run, I don't use the fabric.

After that, I wash as usual in the washer with a color catcher, just to be sure. I dry on low, and try to pull the fabric out before it's completely dry and I can still smooth out any wrinkles. That way I don't have to iron.

I make quilts on commission and include a color catcher in a little pocket on the back of the quilt along with washing instructions. By prewashing, I know I'm giving my client a quilt that won't shrink or bleed.

Hope this helps!

Julia Graves

Cindy, I do not usually pre-wash. Once I'm done with a quilt and I put it in the washer, I use this stuff called Retayne (no detergent) and I have never had a problem with bleeding, even with reds. In fact, I just finished a red and white quilt with no problems at all. If I do decide to prewash, I also use the Retayne (no detergent) and there is no bleeding.

Bonnie, I have a question for you regarding the starch: With your fabric stash, do you have to keep your starched fabric separate from your non-starched fabric or do you keep it all together? I was told they are supposed to be kept separate. Your thoughts? Thanks :)

Gable

Gable,

I have been keeping my starched fabrics and my non in the same area for years...I color coordinate my colors so the reds are in one drawer and blues in another etc. I only starch the fabrics as I am needing them so if I use 4 yards of a 6 yard piece I only starch to the 4 yard mark, and I'm sure that some over spray as gotten onto the rest, but I don't worry about it. I have never had any problems with bugs....I have had several tell me that the starch attrack bugs, but so far I haven't had any problems with that. Been doing it this way for literally years an no troubles yet. :cool:

Color Grabbers should be in everyones house, regardless if they pre-wash or not....They do come in handy, mostly for my clothes washing...hubby hasn't had pink undies for years. Swear by them.

Guest Linda S

No fabric comes into my house without hitting the washer first. I don't like breathing in the chemicals when I'm pressing quilt pieces, and Marsha McCloskey (my hero) feels that washing the fabric "roughs up" the fibers to make things piece better. I'm with her. If fabric is red, purple, yellow, hot pink, it goes in the washer with Retayne before I use it. I actually enjoy ironing the fabric I've washed.

Linda

I put mine in the washing machine as soon as I get home from the fabric shop whether I am going to use it soon or not. Nothing goes down into my sewing room unless it is washed and dryed/shrunk and ironed. That way when my impulsiveness hits and I grab some fabric and start making something I don't have to worry about if it is "pre-bled and pre-shrunk". I just put it in the washing machine w/ a smidgen of Tide and dry it on high. Yes, I have to iron...but I enjoy pressing all that pretty fabric and imagining a new quilt coming out of it while we are watching TV....but don't ask me to iron clothes....THAT is a chore!

Archived