Background fill suggestions

Wowser - tough one I think. The only thought I had was to try & stitch an inner border in the taupe, using a repeating shape & filling it with a pattern taken from one of the jugs. eg the lower right jug in the 2nd photo or the one in the top photo to the right of the lower hand. Some thing overall in the rest, but echo the small motifs a few times for better balance. As much as I love McT, I'd look for some thing more angular. Perhaps you'll get an idea for something if you look at SW art. Good luck, I'll be watching to see what you decide to do.

Buttonflower

That's a lot of real estate to cover with an overall. Placing quilted motif scattered around the applique will add more interest but may also detract from the appliques--which are stunning. I would bite the bullet and do a medium-density fill all over the sandy fabric--something smaller that the smallest motifs. I would try something angular--like triangles in a meander. Another is that wormy, topographical filler that looks like an elevation map. Shannon does this one all the time and it would be fast and effective with matching thread. An outline and then a quarter-inch echo around the appliques would beef up the smaller ones. Just a thought--can't wait to see finished pictures!

Archived