Today was my LAST DAY!!!

I'm officailly unemployed. lol

Feels funny really. I think it will take about a month to sink in good. lol

I had flowers and cake from the guys I work with and it was fun. I'm still in shock. 99% of my coworkers are men as I worked in a refinery and they gave me a wonderful farewell. It was such a nice surprise.

So Now what do I do?

lol

Quilt in the morning in your P.J.'s till 2:00. Then finally get around to getting your clothes on. Go out for a while to prevent cabin fever. Out to lunch or dinner is good. Log in and read all the posts on our website. Then later in the evening setting down for some hardcore piecing or applique while watching C.S.I. , History Channel, HGTV and more. I forgot to mention stay up as late as you want. Do not get up until you are ready to start quilting or you need to eat something so you won't wither away. Many of us are not in that danger.Get ready for bed and get up and do it again. I'm a school teacher so I have throughly tested this schedule and it works. Ha Ha Cheryll Good Luck

Yeah Grammie Tammie!!!

Gosh can you believe it, you can sleep in now!!

Actually Tammie, you are going to wake up so happy that you don?t have to go to work, you'll want to make a "B-line" to your Millie/CQ & start quilting in your Jammies!

I am "sew" happy for you, this has been a long awaited milestone for you.

Wish we lived closer so we could have a Starbucks together!

Have fun girlfriend, you are "going places" in your quilting, we just know it!!

See ya soon!;)

Way to go Tammie!

Best suggestion is don't tell to many that you have retired. They think that since you don't leave for work that you don't have anything to do and feel its their duty to keep you busy. Remember to stop and enjoy the world around you, then go and reflect it on a quilt.

I can't wait to see what you do now.

Tammie,

From what I've seen here in the forum you will have no problem "keeping busy". If you just do what you were doing in your off time before you will have a full enough day.

After I left day job I realized there was so much that I had been putting off until "someday". So many days now are somedays. Having my own little renaissance (sp?).

Enjoy

Tammie:

You can do whatever you want to do! :) What a great feeling you must be having now. I haven't worked except for my quilting for almost 10 years now and I never forget how lucky I am to be doing what I'm doing.

I'm so glad you made the decision and I think you'll never regret it.

Way to go Grammie! I quit two years ago and love every day! I love spending time with my husband. You'll enjoy being able to do what you WANT to do...not what you HAVE to do...a big difference! I'm so busy doing what I want to do that I now wonder how I had time to work outside the home! I found a wonderful piano teacher who is reintroducing me to the beauty of the piano. Plus getting to know so many wonderful women in the world of quilting. ENJOY and congrats!

Lisa Potter

Buzzy Bee Quilting

Congratulations! I am currently a stay at home mom with a 17 year old. (He really doesn't need me to stay home, but I taught high school for 15 years and when we moved to Ohio I decided to take a break. I have since gotten my Millinium (which I refer to as my Harley since it cost as much as the Harley my husband bought for himself) and even though I have yet to quilt for anyone but myself, I hope to get up the courage to try. It was a little depressing to be at home at first, especially when school started, but boy, have I adjusted. I second the suggestions above. Make sure to take time to have leisurely lunches with friends, and maybe a movie on occasion. It is easy to stay home and quilt:), but don't forget to keep your social interactions as well. Have fun and start as many projects as you want, you'll have time to play and play from now on. :cool:

Do not do what I did - I volunteered for too many community organizations. It felt good to do good but I was always frazzled by the demands on my time. I've got it down to a manageable few now (almost!). Do not go out and start a business with your best quilting buddy. We still have the business, we are still friends, but I've not much time for my own design and quilting efforts. Today I'm contemplating moving 8 more (of the 40 that need to go) boxes of fabric into the RV for vending at Road to California show next week, putting more products on our brand new website,clearing up an issue with our credit card service provider, writing two articles for two different newsletters, doing the bank deposit for a wearable arts group, and maybe, just maybe, I'll at least get a quilt loaded onto the Millenium. I am just a bit too busy for my own taste - must learn to say "no" more often.

Anyway, if you will be at Road to California, come see me at the New Moon Textiles booth which will be in the outdoor, tented vendor mall. Or take a look at the website newmoontextiles.com - there's not too much on it yet but there is plenty to come!

Tammie:

Its been almost 9 years now that I have been working for only myself, and like JudyL....I have never forggoten how lucky I am in doing what I want and working for myself.

I too am so glad you made the decision and I think you'll never regret it.

Wow the best is ahead, the golden dreams of time to do what we've dreammed to do, go places to buy more fabric, patterns, tools for quilting, to see family, friends, no more slave to the clock and $ of people who don't have your best interest in mind. Cherish the moments of time to quilt and whatever..... God bless.

Right on Grammie. The best thing I ever did was retire. Now I kind of do like Cheryll said.....stay in my PJ's till 2:00. That can get a little embarrasing however when the postman rings the bell arround 11:00 to deliver a parcel!

You can get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed with it only half finished.

Lib

Archived