Just sharing, my first "customer quilt". I haven't officially opened for business so to speak, but a member of my quilt guild asked me to quilt this for her. It was her very first quilt, a yellow brick road. It is MASSIVE! The largest quilt I've done - mostly backing as she gave me a good six inches additional on all sides. There were a few challenges (I think that's why she felt brave enough to send it to me to experiment on!) but I think it turned out really well! :)

I did an edge to edge paisley design, something I'm very comfortable with as I did this often on quilts quilted on my domestic. I did have one or two long stitches and a few puckery full spots as I think she must not measure her borders (something I didn't used to do either so I at least have experience with easing in the full borders). I think I did ok! :) I'm really looking forward to her reaction...I hope she loves it.

OH - a question - do any of you have any ideas for how to make wonky uneven borders look straight? Or is there nothing I can do? I tried to straighten the lines of this out on the frame but this is a new quilter, I'm kind of guessing her 1/4" is off as a lot of the blocks are a little off and eased into fitting. I'm not even sure how I would go about creating straight lines other than teasing them into place a bit as best I could. :(

post-10627-0-33056000-1359477298_thumb.jpg

post-10627-0-73017900-1359477320_thumb.jpg

Hi Valerie! Congrats! You ARE off and running! And doing such a great job!

Look up some of my old posts on "wonky" borders... (bobbi47) It seems to me that I had lots of them! What I usually did was piano keys... it tames them easily. You may still have a tuck or two, however they will be un noticeable.

I also found that when I "floated" my quilts as opposed to pinning them on, I had MORE wonky borders... just sayin'!

Have fun!

Thanks Bobbi! I'm having a good time. ;)

So far I have been floating my tops because I feel like I have more control over that fullness and easing it in without tucking. Maybe the down side to that is less control over the shape of the borders? I did however pin baste the borders to keep the shape. I just don't know if there is anything I can do for a border that was sewn with an uneven seam allowance?

Other than that I think she did a beautiful job for her first quilt - I love that pattern and her fabrics are gorgeous. :)

Always remember...you can't quilt out the mistakes of the piecer! Sometimes you can minimize mistakes by drawing the attention away. All we can do is exactly what you did! Just push that fullness around and distribute it as best you can. Bobbette is right about piano keys. They can take up a lot of fullness and you'll never know it was there. I think you did a great job! She should be very happy. There should be a lot of posts on this topic as it's something that plagues us all and we like to complain to those who know what we're talking about and can commisserate! :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived