Readying your quilt for the LAer?

I have a "How to make your Longarmer Happy" note that I've given out on several occasions. The only problem is that after a certain customer, who keeps coming back much as I try to discourae her, has increased my original form 1 page to 3 pages! Wish I hadn't saved the changes on the computer. If you'd like a copy, drop me a line, and I'll send it to you.

Guess I've been off line for a couple of days. I'll see if I can't copy and paste this to the chat. This is the 3 page version. Please modify as needed.

How To Make Your Longarmer Happy

Backtack at the seam edges, i.e. when you attach your borders. Sometimes those seams will start to come apart before I get them quilted, and when completing your quilt top, it doesn’t look very nice to have a slightly open seam. Please check for popped seams. Ones that have worked themselves open, and not necessarily at an edge. Maybe you thought you had a full ¼” seam allowance on both sides, but the bottom side only had fringes of string. I try to fix them as I find them, but I’d appreciate it if you would take a look at your quilt before you bring it to me.

No “Friendly Borders”. These are the ones that wave at me as I quilt them. Quilt tops, especially the borders, should lay flat. If you need a lesson on how to properly attach borders, I would be happy to teach you! Along with this, please square up your blocks before sewing them together. Often times, blocks with diagonal or bias edges are stretched out of shape, so what was supposed to be a 6” block is now a 6.25 or even a 6.5” block in some areas. Squaring up your blocks before sewing them together will result in a nice flat quilt, and not one with B and C cup areas that are difficult at best to quilt down without wrinkles

Backings. Please press the backing seam open. This decreases the amount of bulk that you have across the width or length of your backing, and makes your quilt prettier in the end.

Selvedges. Please remove them from your backing fabrics before you sew the seam together. Selvedges are woven more tightly than the rest of the fabric, and this makes them difficult to quilt nicely.

If possible, please run the backing seams horizontally. This doesn’t mean that you should buy 7 yards of fabric when 4 will do. However, if possible, this makes it easier for me to load your quilt backing evenly.

Backings need to be squared up. Because I’m going to pin your backing to my canvas leaders, if the edges of your backing aren’t straight, it’s going to be impossible for me to have the backing lay flat. Flat backings mean that you won’t end up with pleats and folds in your quilt back. Please press your quilt top and backing before you bring it to me. I’m going to give them both a final press before I load them on to my machine, but this is just something to take out the wrinkles that have developed since you dropped it off.

Tops need to have the borders squared off. Extra fabric at the ends should be trimmed off.

Please don’t pre-wash your quilt tops. If you want to pre-wash fabrics before you sew them, great. Pre-washing the pieced together top means lots of little strings left hanging behind the quilt top. These can look really icky if they show through the quilt top.

Please trim threads, either the ones left from piecing, or if you’ve done any “unsewing”. They don’t look very nice to begin with, if they are long they can potentially get caught in my hopping foot and mean that the quilting pattern isn’t as smooth as it should be. Or, if I don’t see them and get them trimmed, they can get quilted down, and then they are that much more difficult to remove.

Appliques should be stitched down, not pinned. Nothing like running the quilt top through your hand and finding a pin. This can result in my blood on your quilt top, and that’s really not pretty.

Archived