I can't wait to see this sewn together.  For the quilting design, how about flowing lines that follow the contour of the bargello rows with two to three feather rows interspersed (I see them in the areas where there are floral fabrics and that pink camo fabric made me think of it).  You would probably drop the needle down and move your quilt forward to continue on with the rows, since they are at the diagonal either way you load it?  Are you adding a border? If so, how about a wide border in the neutral tonal range of your top and piano key it?

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished piecing and adding the border.  whew - that was a lot of sewing!  13 bobbins worth!

http://tinypic.com/r/6hkbw5/6

for some reason though, I am scared to quilt this one!  I really want the feather design I chose earlier, but I don't think I can do it on my little machine and do it well.  Can anyone give me a quote to quilt it?  8' x 9' are the dimensions.

• 1 month later...

I had to build up some confidence before I could begin quilting this quilt.  Nervous!!!!

First feather is in!  Still scared that I will mess up all my hard work but I am going to plow ahead and keep rolling.  The blue is of course the chalk I used to lay out the feather on the front.  Critique from all of you pros out there is more than welcome!

see post below for pictures

You are doing an amazing job!  Smart to finishing your quilts now so you can enjoy them now.  And all the quilting skills you will have when you get your longarm.

I have saved too many quilts for when I get a longarm 'someday'.  It's pretty bad when grandkids grow out of the quilts before they are quilted.  Finally got the longarm and hoping for time to quilt.

Congratulations!

• 1 month later...

Well ladies....I JUST finished my bargello quilt!  Wow what a job!  I started it on my brother machine by free motion then in the middle I was a able to purchase a mid arm quilting machine and rack which made the job much easier!  Someday I will own an APQS machine!  I had a few wrinkles in the backer but nothing ridiculous.  I did a few projects in between including getting my hand stitched grandmother's flower quilt ready for hand quilting.  I had to break up the feather boredom on this one.... 

2u4plkn.jpg2m62uyd.jpg

Archived