Domestic machine quilting

I hope this isn't taboo here...........

I took a machine quilting class with my Bernina (Virty) last Sunday, and it sure was an eye-opener. I am not good at all at free-motion quilting, so that is a little discouraging. But everybody says with practice I can do well, so I'm practicing. The funny thing to me is, even though close up the teacher's stitches (she used mine to demo "drunken slug meandering" - i.e., stippling) are, of course, fabulous and mine are scarey, from a normal distance the sampler looks great!

Are there any other domestic machine quilters here, or previous dom's? Would love to here your experiences with how long it took to get to where your conscience would let you give something away that you had quilted on your machine, etc.

Patty I started quiting on my domestic about 8 years ago. At first it was the stitches that were the problem.................keeping them uniform. I do have to say the PPP makes perfect. I also suggest you try drawing your designs on paper over and over and then do more PPP on the machine.

I do not do much quiltng on my domestic any more and will occasionaly do some feed dogs up presser foot down on small things for myself. I am however doing some stuff on my current customer project on my domestic. It is a balloon quilt and I am doing the detail of the balloons on my little machine.................do not want any wobbles and there are lots of layers in the applique. No way I will try those layers on the longarm..........................I finished the background and took it off my longarm last night.

Patty,

Over the past 5-6 years, I have done lots of freehand quilting on my Bernina. Like everyone who does this, I started out slow and built up my confidence with lots of practice. I took several classes from my local quilt shop on freehand quilting. I learned a lot from the instructors. I also have several books to reference (I love books! ;) and have built up quite a library, now). The books show all sorts of quilting designs to experiment on.

You should just go for it. Make a few small 12"x12" quilt sandwiches out of muslin to practice. I use the gloves with the rubber thingys on the fingertips to help control the fabric as I move around. Remember to breathe, relax and to look an inch ahead of the needle to see where you're going, don't look right at the needle area.

As you progress, build up your needle speed and move the fabric at a faster pace. The faster you move, the smoother your curves will be, and you get more creative with your designs that way, too.

Put on some pretty music, and drink a glass of wine to relax if that helps. Just have fun and play. After you've done a little practice on the 12" pieces, move to larger pieces of muslin and use different threads. Then, move to the real meal deal and do some of your wallhanging size quilts.

I do all sorts of freehand designs like swirls, loops and simple freehand feathers on my quilts. I think that my experience with freehand quilting really helped me jump right into longarm quilting with more confidence. I think that after I found out I really enjoyed the "quilting" part of the process, I just had to have a longarm. LOL!!

Have fun and just go for it!

Hi Patty,

I have been free motion quilting on a Bernina for the last 5 years. I started with the 153, but now have a 440. At first I thought I would never "get it," but after a class at my LQS and PPP, I got it. I think you will, too.

I was reading Shana's post, and I have to agree with everything she wrote. I also feel that a bit of speed works for me. It is harder for me to go slow and keep my stitches uniform. I also wear the quilter's gloves, at least I wear the left hand glove. Often I only wear the one. If the quilt is on the large side, I use my right hand to hold onto the quilt.

Something else that might help you is watching Ricky Tim's "Grand Finale" DVD. I purchased it a year ago, and have watched it (or specific parts) over and over again. I highly recommend it. I love books, and now have quite a collection of them, but sometimes watching a DVD is even more helpful to me.

Good luck,

Sandy

I cannot beleive the instructor used the phrase "Drunken Slug" I am sure she had a sense of humor but I would have been insulted. I think you took it better than I would have!!! Keep your chin up and yes we all need to practice whenever we learn something new. It is your quilt, do it how you like it!! If you really don't like your work on a gift you can keep it for yourself or say that's the way you wanted it!!

I've done over 30 twin size bed quilts on my domestic sewing machine (I should have gotten my Millenium years ago!) and here are my hints beyone the good advice already on here:

1. Make sure that your quilt is well supported so that gravity doesn't pull it when you're trying to quilt in a different direction. I put my machine on the dining room table with the flat bed so that I had a flat surface to put my hands on. I scrunched the quilt up around where I was working so that there was room for the quilt to move without having to move the whole quilt.

2. Plan your quilting so that you minimize how much fabric was stuffed between the needle and the rest of the machine.

3. Use monofilament thread - your quilting will show but not your boo-boo's!

4. Use Superior thread's Bottom Line in the bobbin - you won't have to change bobbins as often and it melts into the back and doesn't show much.

5. Use a busy back!

Good luck!

Julia Graves

Well, sewhappy, you don't have to feel offended on my behalf. Hellene Knott wasn't describing MY stippling (although if she'd seen it afterward she might have!), but the most common stippling in general. That was the name she jokingly gave the style of stippling, because that's what it kind of looks like. She did have a lot to say, however, about how overused she feels the pattern has been, and encouraged us to use other types of stippling as well. I don't know if I'll ever be any good at any of them, but I am determined to put in weeks of practice before I decide I simply MUST buy a LA tomorrow if I'm going to continue quilting, LOL!

Thanks for your kind words, Teresa, and I do feel welcome here always. :)

Oh, and Julia, I hope you don't mind, but I have copied and saved your words of advice on my desktop. Thanks!

Patty, I did a few lap quilts on my domestic but never got really good at it. There is a lady in my local quilt guild that is absolutely "awesome" with her domestic machine. She does small intricate work, she does McTavishing, feathers, etc. and it is all beautiful. She has taken classes from professionals in this area. It can be done - so don't despair, just PPP.

Hi Maryhelen (I like your name),

I am very discouraged today. I have not had a chance all week to PPP, so was enthusiastic this morning. But have tried quilting a somewhat intricate (sp? oh dear, are the spelling police still out there?) design three times in a row and am failing miserably. Maybe I'm trying to do something too soon...... What kind of designs did you start with?

Anyone out there know the best way to transfer a design to a quilt without getting pencil or other stuck in youir stitches, tweezing out the stitches when getting tracing paper out, or having to be able to perfectly stitch the design on the pattern with no thread to begin with? Help!

Hi Patty,

Are you coming on Sunday to the longarmers meeting? I know that you said your mom in law was ill, so I hope she is better, and you can make it. I did lots of quilts on my DSM, and found that the only part of quilting I didn't like was basting it with pins. The dog is really helpful in that part!

I'm with you, and didn't like tweezing out all the little bits of Golden Threads paper, so I did lots more freehand than printed designs. Which doesn't mean that I don't have books of designs either! I suggest taking a look at Darlene Epp's freehand quilting designs. They aren't cheap, I think about $50 for 3 of them, and you could probably get them through Columbia River Quilting. She's got gobs of great ideas for free hand stuff, and as everyone else here has said, lots of practice will make things better.

Beth

Hi Patch! I use a Bernina 440 to quilt too. I don't have a long arm , but wish I had one! Before I got my 440 I used my Bernina 1530. I really like the stitch regulator on the 440. I am still getting used to it though. Have you used the alarm for when you go too fast? I find that my stitches on the back seem to make kind of like loops and it doesnt' look very nice. My dealer said I was probably going too fast and pulling on my quilt. So, I started to use my alarm. It is hard to go slow enough. My alarm was buzzing ALLOT! :) I also use the quilter's gloves. My hands just slip around too much without them. I have a question... What is PPP? linda

Shana, (quiltmonkey), HI! I see where you were talking about getting a better stitch when you go faster with your Bernina. I feel it is easier to do faster, but like I just said to Patch, my back just doesn't look very nice. Do you think I am doing something else that is making it do that? HUMMMM!! Just as I am writing this, I am thinking I didn't have that problem when I used my 1530. I just got out a lap quilt that I had done with my 1530 bfore I got my 440, and you know what? It looks good on the back!!! No loops or pulling looks!! HUMMMMM.....I wonder what it is that is causing this on my new machine!!!??? Because I KNOW I was going pretty fast on my 1530! It just feels better and goes more smoothly! ( is that a word....smoothly?:P) Got any suggestions?????? thanks! linda

Hi Linda, I think the weird stitches on back could be caused by the thread tention, from what I've read here. I'm sure Shana will know. I use the Bernina 153 QE. It has no alarm, but I do set it at 1/2 speed so I can't go too fast. That is fast enough for me right now. I also find it easier to do well if I go as fast as 1/2 speed will allow. Also, you might get loops on the back if the bobbin's in backward, seems I read here somewhere. Good luck! Oh, and ppp is practicepracticepractice. Now I've got to go ppp!

Patty, Hi! Thanks for the info! I am pretty sure I don't have my bobbin in backwards. If it is the tension, what tension? the top? I have always heard you don't mess with the bobbin tension......EVER!!!:mad: Is that your experience too? I will try setting it at 1/2 speed. I have not tried that before! I am finishing up a baby quilt this week , and I will try that when I quilt it! Sounds like I am going to have lots of time to quilt this week... we're expecting 12" of snow tonight and tomorrow, so I'm not going anywhere!!!:D thanks again....... guess I just need to PPP!!!!!!:P linda

Linda,

Trust me, I'm not a pro so I could be totally wrong (anyone else that want's to chime in, please do). Anyway, depending on your thread, you might want to loosen your upper thread tension a little, like down to 3 or 2...just play with it. I remember it this way: "lower is looser" (as in the number is lower, the tension is looser). Give that a try. If you still get loops, try threading your bobbin tail and playing with it again. Sometimes different threads act differently. Most times when I quilt with my DSM, I use Bottom Line in my bobbin and I've had good luck with it. You can also try increasing the upper tension to see if that works, maybe to a six or so, but usually my experience is that loosening the upper tension is what fixes things. I've never messed with the screw on my bobbin -- I think that's for when you're playing with really thick threads, cords and stuff in the bobbin. I have a spare bobbin for that, but I've not experimented with heavier bobbin threads, yet. Good luck, Linda. Let us know how things work out.

Thanks Shana!! I will try loosening my top tension. I already thread my bobbin. I read someone else mention that Bottom Line bobbin thread. Is that the actual name brand? Where can I get it? I do not have a local quilt shop. They are practically extinct around here:( Have to travel hours to get to a nice fabric (quilt) shop. thanks again! linda

Hi,

My 440 seems to sew free motion best with the same weight thread in the top and the bobbin, unless I really play with my tension. I can get the stitches to look good if I take the extra time to adjust and test, and adjust some more. Perhaps if you're just starting, try the same (I think a standard is 40 wt., but not sure) thread top and bottom.

I found that I like the stitch regulator on when I want to sew slowly, and follow a stenciled design, but if I want to meander/stipple, or other free motion, more repetitive designs, I want to go much faster, therefore setting off the alarm constantly. For these faster times, I turn off the stitch regulator, but still use the BSR foot. That works for me; give that a try and see if it helps you somewhat.

Good luck,

Sandy

I don't quilt on my DSM any more because I own a Millie...but I do teach machine quilting on the DSM (kind of ironic). Get the book by Diane Gaudynski on machine quilting. Diane has won 4 times at Pauduch for quilting on a DSM. Her book is filled with so much information along with trouble shooting tips. She talks of body positon when quilting, machine height, needles, thread issues as well as thread weight...I recommend this book to anyone who is serious about quilting on their DSM.

Loops on the bottom are caused by one of two things....top tension too loose or bottom too tight. It can also be caused from not lowering your presser foot...the feed dogs are down for free motion and even though your free motion foot barely touches the fabric it does have an effect on your tension. Some of my students forget to lower their presser foot...reminder yourself to double check. If you are getting loops on the top...top tension is too tight or bottom is too loose.

Most of all remember...practice does make you better when quilting on a DSM. I always recommend that my students keep a practice piece of muslin and everytime they sit down to piece a quilt....just practice for a few minutes with free motion quilting.

Hope this helps...

Good Luck,

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

P.S. The largest quilt I ever quilted on my DSM was 90 x 110. I am thankful that I won't ever do that again:P

Aw... I envy you gals with the 440 and beyond. I'd have been very happy just to have the 163, with all it's extra stitches. But I'm finding I don't use all the embroidery stitches, as what I really love to do is make quilts. I guess my 1/2 speed option works like a foot pedal BSR, as I just put my pedal to the metal and go go go! Sometimes..... LOL!

Thanks, everybody, for answering Linda's question. Good luck, Linda! And do let us know how it comes out.

Thanks everyone for the great info!! I will try it all till I get it!! I have found that when I practice on my 12"x12" squares, I do really good, but when I get my bigger quilt in there, it just doesn't do as nice.....aagghhh! I will keep trying!!! I'm off to my sewing room now to work on my baby quilt.... maybe I can get it done today so I can start quilting it tomorrow!! thanks again, ladies! linda

Archived