Help please re travel in the Northwest - updates

My daughter and a friend are moving to Portland, OR.  They are driving and left VT last Saturday visiting friends and family in NJ, PA and OH.  They spent last night in Stuart, Iowa (I told her to give a shout out to APQS in passing ;) ) and are heading next for Mt Rushmore where they intend to spend tonight and tomorrow night.  My daughter had planned to fly but the friend suggested driving (touring?). Next they plan to visit Craters of the Moon in Idaho and then head to Bend, OR for their last night so they can arrive in Portland at a decent time of day. They have an apartment ready to move in to there.

My question - is it sensible to be heading for Bend from Idaho at this time of year or would it be better to head further north where there appears to me to be a more major road and more/larger communities along the way......or am I just being the over-anxious mother?

Any advice from those of you familiar with the area would be gratefully received - at least, by me!

4.13 - Updates below

Hi Anne~

I hate to tell you this but I do think you are being an "over-anxious mother"  LOL  I am always that too!!! are'nt all mothers?

I am here in Montana and the roads are indeed fine-they may hit a bit of weather but the roads departments are always on the move...I have just returned from the quilt show in St. George Utah (VERY sucessfull!) & am headed soon to Twin Falls for another show~The roads were great!! I love driving them and seeing snow on the mountain tops while dry on the roads!

They should have a great trip!!

It's a two lane road, but not a bad drive and going north would put them way out of the way for Bend.  I think the weather has been ok.  Here is a road trip site that gives information, but more importantly lets you see "road cams" which are cameras set up along the way so you can actually "see" what the conditions are.  I hope it helps to make you feel better.  I think a lot of the states have them so you could conceivably follow them all the way across.  They would be coming out of Ontario, ID to Bend.  Stay positive...they're just having an adventure.

http://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/RCmap.asp?curRegion=0&mainNav=RoadConditions

I have traveled this area a lot, since my daughter lives in Bend.  Not to worry..the roads are good, probably wet from rain..but nothing else.  It will take them about 3-4 hrs travel from Bend to Portland.  It is a nice drive and lots to see.  They will really like the Craters of the Moon, but the main visitor center will probably be closed this time of year?  However, they can still see quite a bit and if they stop at some of the rest stops along the way, they have walking trails where they can see even more of the lava flow and how it traveled through the country.

Lovely journey for them and they will remember it for the rest of their lives!  Tell them to take lots of pictures :D

Thank you dear friends!  That is exactly the kind of reassurance I needed.  I've been standing back throughout this process and not telling or even suggesting  :)  what they should do and which route etc but it's been hard!  This is definitely an exciting trip for them and something they will remember for a long time.

So thanks again for those 'voices' of reason!

I think they will be fine.  The roads should be great!  They may see some snow on the mountain tops.  It's sunny here in Boise.  The grass has been mowed once, vegetables in the garden are coming up, daffodils are blooming, trees and roses are beginning to bud.  

The Craters of the Moon is an interesting area, especially some of the lava tubes you can go in, if they like caves.  

As mentioned earlier, the webcams are a great way to get an update on the roads.  When I see it snowing where our cabin is, I know we need to go up for the weekend.  Just love to see the snow hanging on the pine branches.    Here is the site for checking the cameras: http://lb.511.idaho.gov/idlb/cameras

Lots to do outside in the west.  Better start planning your visit.  

Thanks Beth.  And yes, I'll keep you all updated! They should be quite close to Mt Rushmore by this evening if they keep to their plan.  I looked it up on google maps which is amazing. you can get close enough in the satellite shot to see the tops of the Presidents' heads!

Hi, They will be fine, the roads are clear this time of year for Bend to Portland. No matter which they come in. I am in Canby about 30 miles south of Portland. Let them know, I will help any way I can. There are great places and things to do in the Willamette Valley. We moms always worry about our babies, mine is in Georgia in the army now.

Thanks everyone.  So yesterday they visited Mt Rushmore and stopped in Sturgis, SD to get a photo of her by the town sign for my DH - that's as close as he will probably get to Sturgis, They spent last night in Casper, WY and stopped in Jackson Hole where, sweet girl that she is, she went into the quilt store there owned by a forum member to say Hi from me (I'm sorry I couldn't remember your name or the name of the store but she found you!). They are staying tonight in Idaho Falls, ID and heading to Craters of the Moon and maybe as far as Bend, OR tomorrow.

Archived