Broken needle damage

Well I am having a hard time with this quilt that I am currently working on!!!

It's the same one that I changed out the wide back because it looked so bad.

Today I hit a fat intersection while SID'ing around a block. The event startled me so much (my first needle break on this machine though I have had plenty on my DM!) that I jerked the handle and the since the machine was in SR it kept stitching.

The needle broke at the eye and created a sharp edge that shredded both top and back for about an inch. Thank goodness this is my quilt but I am still upset. Ay suggestions out there on how I should approach the repair?

I did not find the needle piece that broke off. I thoroughly cleaned the bobbin area and felt for burrs. I could not find any. I put on my practice sandwich and threaded the machine with some cotton variegated fil-tec thread and manga glide in the bobbin. So far no shredding or breaking, she is sewing great.

Am I out of the woods on this? Could that needle piece be lurking in the bobbin basket and hook area?

I had that happen the other day while doing a pantograph.  I couldn't find the needle head either, not even in the batting.  Fortunately the quilt was batik top and backing and, while some threads were shredded most were OK.  I showed the customer and she couldn't even see where it happened. 

In the past, where the damage was more severe, after explaining it to the customer, I have taken a scrap from the backing and got a scrap from the her to cover the front damage. I then made a very small applique over the damaged areas on the backing and front.

So sorry this happened to you. Just the noise is so startling that I mentally freeze for a second or two - hence the damage!

Thanks, Anne , I think I will do a little appliqué on front and back to cover the shreds. My only problem is that this is a BOM and it was one of those where we were given just enough fabric for the block, so I am going to have to try and find the fabric. Fortunately it was local and I meet with the group this week.

I found the needle tip on the floor- YAY!

• 1 year later...

I broke a needle and have some damage on quilt back. Does anyone have another idea for fixing. I put fusible on the inside for strength. Any other suggestions? Is there a fusible that is translucent? What about fray ck. want to give customer some options.post-1280-0-89969200-1428505703_thumb.jpg

I got the fray block and Alene's fray stop product. Made samples of frayed fabric , marked and tested each. Gave to customer to let her decide. I think both were about the same. She was very nice, we had a hard time finding place when looking for it. Hope it won't happen again., but I'm sure it will.

Archived