tension issues

My stitches will look fine on the quilt top, but underneath the tension will suddenly go wonky:  very loose, loopy top threads coming down, & the bobbin tension looking very tight.  Sometimes it will revert to a good stitch again, sometimes either the top or the bottom thread will break.  

I spent the whole day taking my machine apart, cleaning, dusting, replacing the top tension screw.  Had some nice quality time with Amy (Thank you!!), did everything she said, but the problem persists.  I feel like I may have replaced the top tension assembly incorrectly, but I have taken it apart several times & can't figure out any other way to do it.  The top tension pulls very tight, even when it is loosened as much as possible; but I can't even tell if that is the cause of problem.  I have tried several different bobbin cases, and different threads, & still have similar problems.  Any ideas??

Just a thought; is the top thread getting caught/hung up?  I had this issue but I was using a cotton thread that I did not like, shocking pink on a white back and the stitches did the same as you say. Even though I used a pint bobbin thread I could still see the top thread on the back at interval; sometime stitches were perfect, other times, not. Each time I changed bobbins I had to watch for the same problems.  Needless to say, after I finished that quilt I threw that cone away. I blamed it on the top thread.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

It sounds like your thread is spooling unevenly off your cone and perhaps getting hung up on the little screw on the side of the machine whenever it gets slack. Then it will get really tight and either free itself or break.  Watch the thread coming off the spool carefully the next time you stitch and see if it's getting hung up.  You might also consider putting a net on your thread cone if you haven't already done that.  Hope this helps some.

Thanks Teresa; in fact, I did notice the thread spooling unevenly a few times.  I have a piece of cotton batting on the first hook to keep it straight, as recommended here long ago.  Maybe it is not doing the whole trick.  What causes that?  It is not just one spool of thread, it's all of them.

Ditto on the advise already given. If it's happening with every cone there's something causing it to tighten.To tame the top thread, use all the tension points. Wrap through all three holes in the guide above the tensioner.  Tighten both the top and bobbin thread a bit. If you've loosened the tension disks to the point where you can see daylight between them, your tight thread is happening before the tension assemble. When it gets tight, follow the top thread back to the problem area by tugging gently on the thread so you can see where it's hanging up. You may be flinging thread and catching on something. Or it may be catching on the thread net or a nick in the plastic center of the cone. Good luck and I hope you've already found the problem.

I've had this problem also, but mine was not catching on the thread spool. It was catching at the front of the machine where the front cover overlaps at the side of the machine. I solved it by adding another thread guide near the area where it was getting caught. No problems with thread breaking since. :D  Watch the thread as it travels the whole path, from the spool to the needle.

I've had it where the top thread will get a twist (like a knot) if the thread is going throught the 3 hole guide in the wrong direction.  That might play havoc with tension as the twisted thread passes through the tension assembly.  Most of our thread likes it if we thread the three hole guide under/over three times.

Nigel

Since you've talked with Amy, I doubt that this is your problem, but is your tension assembly securely attached to the machine?  When you tug on the tightening knob in all directions, is there any movement of the assembly?  There's a set screw at the back side of the head, and sometimes it will work itself loose and the assembly will move.  If you find any looseness, tighten up the screw and see if that solves the problem.  Good luck.  Jim

Thanks all.  Actually, I think the problem was the thread.  Odd, because it is a type of thread I regularly use, but not this particular spool.  For some reason, that thread would not pull easily past the three-hole thingy above the tension disc, when it was threaded "correctly."  I put it through only 2 of the holes, & it is working.  I hope this is the answer, 'cause Amy's not calling me back anymore.

Hi Catherine,

Glad you were able to get to the bottom of the issue! I apologize that Amy wasn't able to get back to you as quickly as we normally do. I'm at the HMQS show this week and at MQS starting next week so we're all teaming up to try and make sure our customers are getting help as needed, but with one of us "on the road" sometimes it takes a little longer to get everyone contacted again. We'll do our best to improve in that area! 

Thanks Dawn.  I realize there's a show going on, and that Amy is doing the best she can to keep up (and a great job of it!), but I called (went straight to voicemail, no one answered the main switchboard), AND e-mailed on Friday & have not gotten any response to either so far.  I think it would be a courtesy to customers if they'd just e-mail a note that someone would get back to them, or something to let us know that our communications have been received.  Thanks, & keep up the god work.

Archived