Fantastic Thursday 5/16/2013

Yesterday was WILD Wednesday. I bought a pattern on a on a cd and it has all the file to embroider. I got my sample fabric out to make the first stitch out of  the angel. Gee the machine kept making this awful noise and the needle was making very loud popping noises too. And the needle was acting like it had glue on it, pulling up the fabric like crazy. So I kept my fingers next to the needle to keep the fabric flat!  I even thought calling a friend that does tons of emboridery on her machine but decided I could figure it our for myself.  Well I finished the sample stitch our and the tensions was crazy too. Here is a picture! Not good.

I put the project down walked away and quilt on the Millie Frannie Ann for a while. Looked at the Bernina! I had not put the foot on the Bernina to emborider the block! That was a moment!!!!!  LOL I will laughing for a while!

Happy stitching to very one today! I happy that WILD Wednesday is over!!!!

post-3467-0-49140100-1368721591_thumb.jpg

It's been a while since I've shared photos on here, but I thought I'd share my "project" for this week. I'm going to a quilt show tomorrow, and taking my Mom, her sister, and our cousin. We plan to make a day of it and just have fun. My dilemma was that while I need to take along my cell phone, glasses, car keys, etc., I don't want to drag around my big heavy purse. So, I pulled out some scraps left over from another project, and whipped up a little zippered bag. Just large enough to hold the essentials, and with a strap long enough to put over my head, so I can keep my hands free. I showed it to Mom and asked if she would like one as well, so I made another one. All together, it took about 3 hours to make these two little bags. Not bad for an evenings work! :D

I used a quilt-as-you-go technique, with cotton batting and a cotton backing fabric.

Now if I can just get the photos to work.....

8743756051_da5bf7b06a.jpg
IMG_0482[1] by s.waits, on Flickr

8744874804_3eaffcff99.jpg
IMG_0481[2] by s.waits, on Flickr

I was inspired by LInday Rech's picture of the sampler quilt that had off setting chain blocks, Linda it was gorgeous!!

I belong to a group that is getting ready for a retreat and the challenge is to use only red and white and make as many blocks as you want to go in for a drawing at the retreat.  I figured that everyone would have different patterns and fabrics etc, and I thought this would be a great time to make some chain blocks to bring them all together for the lucky winner.  So I made 15, not sure how many will be needed, but I will bring extra red fabric incase the lucky winner needs to make more, Hey, it could even be me.  LOL  A big Thank You to Linda for providing my inspiration.  I am thinking of doing the same for some other blocks that I have been accumulating. 

Monika,  I feel for you.  Good luck with all that packing!  I'm really glad I labeled everything I packed up from my studio as it made things so much easier as I unpacked here.  I wish I had been as 'fussy' with everything else that got packed up in the house.  We are still missing various things like 2 significantly sized items from the kitchen, the stereo my husband packed up from my studio (his stereo!). We have the speakers - the stereo itself?  who knows and we are running out of boxes not yet unpacked.......

Here's what I got done this week - Quilt # 4 in the on-going silk series,  a queen size panto for a new customer who owns the LQS in the town where I used to live (now 30 miles away). She makes quilts on commission and wants to talk about me doing more. (Rather them than the silk ones!)  And a small quilt made by my husband!  He made his 1st quilt about 2.5 years ago and has finished 2 more since then with a 4th in process.  He took a class last week with Diane S Hire, through my guild I encouraged him to complete the project and I quilted it for him this morning - a treat for me after the silk.

Here's what I got done this week - Quilt # 4 in the on-going silk series,  a queen size panto for a new customer who owns the LQS in the town where I used to live (now 30 miles away). She makes quilts on commission and wants to talk about me doing more. (Rather them than the silk ones!)  And a small quilt made by my husband!  He made his 1st quilt about 2.5 years ago and has finished 2 more since then with a 4th in process.  He took a class last week with Diane S Hire, through my guild I encouraged him to complete the project and I quilted it for him this morning - a treat for me after the silk.

post-1527-0-57134700-1368736332_thumb.jpg

post-1527-0-80995700-1368736348_thumb.jpg

post-1527-0-25620200-1368736377_thumb.jpg

I can relate to forgetting to put the foot on the Bernina, but the thing that I seem to do the most often is to fill my bobbin and then forget to put it back, and then I start sewing and WHAT A MESS!!  I think I won't do that again and then a few weeks later I do it again.  I think it's a problem with CRS--can't remember stuff!

The bags are great.  I keep thinking I am going to make some small ones, but I just never get around to it. 

Yesterday I started cutting out a Delicate Delft, I think it is called.  Anyway it is the blue and white for my good friend.  It's a kit I got from the McCall's quilting magazine.  I started sewing the blocks today.  I am about 1/2 way through making the blocks. I enjoyed this forum today.  You all have a good evening.

Nothing quilting, my machine is still broke and waiting for parts. Being on the west coast and working 13  hour days, it has been hard to talk with Amy. But parts are on the way and she'll be humming this weekend. Than it is me time LOL

I did make 3 May day dresses and alter a prom dress and made 4 quilt tops. Oh yes, and collected 5 customers quilts. It is going to be very busy soon ;)

No quilting today...it was my day to go to MQS and see all the beautiful quilts and shop! Spent a few minutes talking to Deloa Jones and got a few of her rulers that you guys have recommended. Back to the slave quilting tomorrow. hehe

Claire, your DWR turned out lovely.  What are you planning to do for setting on your Spring Bouquet?  How do most folks quilt one of those, in the edge of the applique, or just to the outside edge and not messing with the edge of the fusible?  I have several fusible applique patterns here and the Mckenna kit with all the animals, but not sure how to quilt it once I get it done.

Off to bed. 5:00 a.m. will be here soon.  Just three more weeks until a short (5 week) summer break for me. : )

I plan to machine stitch around the applique with an invisible thread. I don't feel comfortable with just the fusible. I'm not sure how I will quilt it yet. Probably SID around the applique with invisible thread again and either cross hatching or some background fill.

Claire

HAve spent the past 2 days at MQS in classes, looking at fabulous quilts and shopping.  Credit card company was in a tizzy wondering how I could be using my card in 3 different states within a few minutes.   He said that often happens when people attend trade show.  So glad the 2nd card still worked.  Will call the credit card company before I start shopping next time.   So glad they do such a good job watching our credit cards for fraud.

Headed home tomorrow hopefully in sunshine and not tornados.

Donna, I just got a call from my credit card company this morning. My card was compromised yesterday. I was at work for 13 hours. I certainly wasn't at Walmart shopping! I'm wondering how they knew it was not me though. It's reassuring to know that they watch it that closely though. I think I'll get one of those protective holders for my cards though.

On the quilting end, I finished the photo quilt for the Gift of Life tribute and am binding it today. I had a double wedding ring on the frame and just finished all the SID, but had to take it off to do the photo quilt. I'll reload it this weekend and get back at it. I think that one is going to take me a while. In the evenings, I am working on an appliqued Mexican Rose quilt for my spare bedroom. I have 2 of 12 blocks done. Another slow process.

Peggy

Archived