Starch and Steam or tucks??

I am in a real bind! I am trying to get this quilt done for a show this weekend and I am at a loss! I had to take a 1" tuck on the left side border already but this bottom border is so wavy I would have to take A LOT of tucks to get it flat. I've been researching the S & S method but I don't know how much it will help!? I have another baby quilt I need to get done today and I just want to sit and pout right now! Any advice would be MUCH appreciated, I have learned so much on this forum, I couldn't ask for a better group! 

Jenn

post-7392-0-32719800-1370541429_thumb.jpg

If the fabric hasn't be prewashed we've found that steam alone will shrink up an amazing amount of fullness.  I have one on the frame now that that measures 90 inches through the middle and 86 at the edge.  Steam took care of most of the problem.  I'll let the others tell you about quilting options to suck up the fullness.

Nigel

I was making batik blocks that had a couple of curved seams creating an X in the middle.  Because I cut my curves too sharp I ended up with major D cups on each block.  I starched until wet and then pressed (no steam except from the wet starch) and with two applications every one of those 8" blocks were ready to trim to put in rows.  I ended up with a flat, squared, king-sized quilt.  It would be worth a try.

Jenn, the starch and steam method will do wonders. Since the quilt is on your frame I think you'd have to take it off the frame to s&s. I did a quilt last year that was off by almost 4 1/2" and the steam worked to tame it. You could also pin the dickens out of it to help work in the fullness. Good luck!

Jenn,  Becky may be right about the red bleeding,  do a small test and you will know right away.  I had worse borders than that but I refuse to unload and reload a quilt, so alittle trick I do and works well is to take your ironing board and put under your quilt while its still loaded on frame and your can starch and steam and work on it that way. It beats all the trouble of reloading and taking a chance it doesn't load straight.

Jenn,  Becky may be right about the red bleeding,  do a small test and you will know right away.  I had worse borders than that but I refuse to unload and reload a quilt, so alittle trick I do and works well is to take your ironing board and put under your quilt while its still loaded on frame and your can starch and steam and work on it that way. It beats all the trouble of reloading and taking a chance it doesn't load straight.

Great idea, Jenn. Thanks.

Well I ended up doing a little of everything! I pinned the heck out of it then steamed the thing to death! Then for good measure I used Best Press to suck in a little more. I ended up needing to take 2 more pleats but that sure beats the mess I had to start with! I plan on talking with the customer about the border situation, she is fairly new to quilting and this was her first 'big one' ...102"x112". I ended up with very few puckers after the S & S method so I would say it was wildly successful!

I used a star cut out stipple pattern on the iQ system, which worked out fantastic as I had both hands available to smooth and move fabric around. I was really happy to get this off my frame for sure! 

And a huge thank you to all the forum members, I've been a lurker forever, I haven't really needed to post anything until now because I can always find an answer to my question!  :D

Jenn 

post-7392-0-00231500-1370619985_thumb.jpg

post-7392-0-67340400-1370620011_thumb.jpg

Jenn,  you  really got that one tamed!  Do you do a full float with your quilts?

I only do a partial float and, by ensuring the width of the bottom and top edges match and that I keep the sides at the same width each time I advance the quilt I've managed this issue most of the time. 

Of course, when you know in advance that the quilter has not produced a 'square' quilt but just tells you to do whatever it takes (!) then anything can happen.  This one gave me real headaches but she was thrilled.  Only her 2nd quilt and she felt she had done a great job!  It certainly looked better after quilting... and from 20' away :lol: !

post-1527-0-65094600-1370793115_thumb.jpg

post-1527-0-53790900-1370793131_thumb.jpg

I do a full float, I have tried to load the bottom on the bar but I just can't get it right. I am overly obsessive about lining everything up from the start, using seams and landmarks to make sure it is loaded square, though that's not always a guarantee when I get to the bottom, I have found out. I have been testing out the impact the side clamps have while quilting and I have to say, I will be using them religiously from now on! I really think some of my troubles at the bottom have stemmed from not using the side clamps after every realignment. I also started using an acrylic paddle I got with my base extender to smooth from the inside out while basting down my edges, that has helped too! I am still finding that I learn something new with every single quilt I do!

And you did a very good job taming that blue beast! I will be a lot more cautious of the quilts I take in, there will be a full look over with the customer before they leave! I have way better things to do than stress out over a wonky border..like quilt! LOL

Archived