flip flop quilt need thread color suggestion

Here is a photo of a quilt I pieced for DD.  It will be our first custom quilt.  I was thinking pebbles around the flip flops, water and bubbles in the sashing and sunbursts in the yellow portion of the log cabin blocks.  I welcome any suggestions, but I really don't know what color thread to use.  I bought variegated to go with the variegated thread I used in the flip flops but now I'm afraid the quilting won't show up.  I don't know if I'm more afraid it won't show or that it WILL show. LOL

Thanks for suggestions...

Joan

post-3214-0-25726500-1380570839_thumb.jpg

I agree with the gals above; remember that if your variegated thread has any of the fabric colors you will lose the quilting in the area the thread matches the colors. It looks as if part of it isn't quilted and can be very distracting. Have fun with this one. What a cute and fun quilt!

I had a friend with a computerized gammill who made two of these.  I think she used a varigated yellow/gold and did sunburst in the borders like you described. She wanted free hand lines around the flip flops...which she had me do...used matching thread. It helped the flip flops to pop out.  I sid around the flip flop strap part for her too.  Sorry but I don't have any photos.

Hi Joan, This is a flip flop quilt that I did for a customer; she wanted the quilting to be very geometric, so that's what she got. She didn't want any quilting in the flip-flops themselves, as she wanted them to pop out a bit. 

Another option for thread color is Bottom Line White (its 6-something) and tends to not show, but just add texture.

post-2881-0-24484600-1380599359_thumb.jpg

Joan that is a cute quilt!   I really like your ideas.  and the others offered.

When I first saw it I thought a very light gray or a very light lavender would

look great on the pebbles.. the other colors,  well, I hadn't gotten that far.  lol

If you want the actual stitching to show, pick a color that shows but doesn't dominate..

If just the fact that is quilted and you want the thread to be more hidden, then

choose a thread that sort of fades into the background.  Or, could use the monolon

and it really doesn't show but very little.

My fingers runneth over time today. 

Sorry. 

Rita

Archived