Studio Cutter is on sale again

Studio Cutter on sale for $399 which is a great buy and all of the dies are 25% off.  If you've been on the fence about buying it now would be the time to jump off and get it.  I LOVE mine.  It was worth it for cutting the strips alone.  I know my friend always says she can use her rotary cutter and cut them just as well, but I'm telling you nothing beats the Studio Cutter so far for me.  Sheesh...I sound like a dealer for them...I'm not...lol...I just really like it. 

http://www.accuquilt.com/deals/current-deals.html?RILT=current_deals&utm_source=E131018C&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=consumeremail

I fan fold my fabric to layer it on the die then roll it through.  Mine can cut 10 layers at a time easily.  That means when I use a die like my charm square one which has 6 charm squares (5 inch square) I can layer fabric up to 10 layers thick and cut 60 perfect squares at one time.  Takes no time at all.  My 2.5 inch strip die has 5 wide I believe so I can cut 50 strips.  Length depends on how I place the fabric.  I can do WOF or fan fold the other way and do at least 23 inches long by five folds so that would be 120 inches long times 5 strips.  It is one of my favorite all time quilting things.  Cutting out the quilt pattern used to be my least favorite thing. Partly because it caused such back and shoulder pain to stand there and cut out a quilt and partly because it was so hard to all the pieces perfectly cut each time.  Neither of those things are a problem anymore. 

Go to this site and see all sorts of YouTube videos about it.  http://www.youtube.com/user/accuquilt/videos

I love my Studio too.  For me, it's not as much about saving time as it is about accuracy.    If I'm cutting fabric that is not attached to fusible web, I will starch & press in order to get perfect cuts.  Part of the fun of quiltmaking is fondling the fabric, right?  You can cut the fabric to the approximate size of the die if you want to be neater.  It does create some additional waste that way.  You don't have to do that if you want to be more conservative with the fabric.  Does this help, Cynthia?  There are many free videos available on the Accuquilt website that show the cutter in action.  One of my students has the Go cutter.  I tried using it but compared to the Studio cutter, both the machine AND the dies are inferior.  IMHO   The disadvantage of the Studio is that it is large & heavy.  I really needs a dedicated space.     Nancy in Tucson

I don't have room for the Studio .....but I do have the Go cutter and I really do like it.  Advantages are that it takes less space, the dies are less expensive, and you can easily hual it to retreats or whatever...but if I had more room, I probably would get the Studio...you can cut more layers with that one....I can cut six layers with the Go...but sometimes I find that only cutting 4 is better.....

For those of you who have or who have used both the Studio and the Go, is there a difference in the ease of turning the handle to move the die and fabric through the cutter?  I have the Go and have thought about getting the Studio but am interested in knowing if it will be easier to use.  Thanks!

Oma and Others with a Studio,

I have been pondering getting a Studio Cutter and DH just recommended I get one. For sure I would use the 2 1/2" strip die. What other dies do you recommend? I like to do needle turn appliqué so I would probably pass on the iron on shapes.

Thanks for your input!

Heidi, you can still cut out your shapes just don't put the iron on stuff on the fabric.  I've never done that anyway.  Look at some of the shapes AccuQuilt has.  The circles for making the little "Penny Rugs".  They have a Rose of Sharon set of dies.  Can't get any simpler than that.  Really...google some info on it or check out their YouTube site above.  Imagine perfectly cut circles in all sorts of sizes.  I know people say how easy it is to cut layer cakes and charm packs by hand, but I'm telling you I can do it in two passes and they are perfect.  I can make jelly rolls so quickly.  What you would want to order depends on what kind of quilts you like to make.  Tell me that and I can offer some advice.

What's nice with the Studio is that you can also use all the Go! dies if you by the adaptors (there are 2 different ones, but you really only need the large one - the one for the strip dies). I don't do appliqué but I do use lots of different strip cutters (the 2 1/2", 1 1/2", and the 2" are probably the most used) plus many of the other geometric shapes. I love the half-square triangles, triangle in a square, drunkards path, winding ways, quarter square triangles, etc. The other nice thing about the Studio is that if you are cutting out an entire quilt and using the Studio dies, you can cut up to 10 layers (versus a maximum of 6 layers with the Go!) at a time making the cutting faster! And yes, it is much easier to turn the handle on the Studio than the Go! Be aware that the Studio dies are much heavier and more expensive than the Go! dies.

If anyone purchases a Studio and wants to purchase a set of 8" dies, 10" dies, 12" dies I have them for sale. I purchased them when I purchased my Studio, but I haven't used most of them because I already had most of the shapes for my Go! and just always grab the old ones!

I use the 2 1/2 strip set the most....for my bindings and also for borders.....I also have used my 5 inch square die (same size as charm squares) for twister table runners and dissappearing nine patch.  and I have used my 2 1/2 inch square dies for cornerstones.  I am in the process of using my go to cut up my smaller scraps to use in scrap quilts and have downloaded several of Bonnie Hunter's free scrap patterns for that....Lin

We have the go and I'm really not very happy with it.  There is No Way I can possibly use it

because it is so hard to turn, even with only one or two layers to cut, and by tight, I mean

it broke one of the cogs off.. himself had a ball figuring out how to get it open and the piece

removed so we could turn it again.  I need to ask them if we can buy just the cog wheel for it,

and if there are any adjustments we can make to make it easier.  They have the rollers set

too close together. 

We are considering the Studio, just trying to figure out where to put it.

I also like the dies the Studio has that aren't available for the Go. 

Unless you are a casual quilter, meaning maybe 2 quilts per year, I wouldn't consider the Go.

Rita

Thanks for your in put. Honestly I had only considered an Accuquilt for my piecing, since it often feels like it takes nearly as long to cut a quilt as to piece it. I also enjoy wool appliqué so now there are so many more dies that would be fun. Thanks

I mean

it broke one of the cogs off.. himself had a ball figuring out how to get it open and the piece

removed so we could turn it again.  I need to ask them if we can buy just the cog wheel for it,

and if there are any adjustments we can make to make it easier.  They have the rollers set

too close together. 

Rita

Rita, AccuQuilt sells a kit to repair/replace the the handle mechanism. Why don't you call them. There is also a video explaining how to do the fix.  

I haven't used charm squares much, can someone explain why I might want the die that cuts with pinked (ragged) edges vs a straight edge cut? And do you like the fact that sqaures are cut off angle with the die? Or do you align the fabric to the die cutting direction instead of perpendicular to the roller? I thought grain running perpendicular was recommended?

Appreciate any thoughts, I haven't had time to look at Youtube yet.

Colette, I have sent you a PM regarding my die sets.

Also, when you run a die through the cutter, you want to align your fabric with the blades of the die - not the outer edge of the die. Most dies are set on a slight angle and this helps control some of the "stretch" in the fabric so you get more accurate cuts. You want to run the fabric with the lengthwise grain perpendicular to the rollers to also control the stretch. Fabric stretches and you need to control how much. Also, when you are running strips through the cutter and there is a fold at one end of the fabric, feed the folded end in first. You'll get much better cuts.

I am another lover of the Studio. I did have the Go first but when Accuquilt had a sale I bought the studio. It is so much easier to turn, no problem at all. The strip dies are fabulous. With sets like the Take 5 and the churn dash two passes cuts 20 blocks.

The drunkards path are so easy to cut and they have little notches to help line the pieces up.

For quilters that love hand turn appliqué you can use the appliqué dies to cut out your templates for your appliqué. The studio can also cut your felt and wool fabric. I just bought the extra large tumbler die and was able to cut 20 tumbler blocks in one pass. I also have just got the large isosceles triangle, which is going to be great to make bunting. Honestly I'm just to lazy to cut these without the dies. :)

Colette, I prefer not to have pinked edges.  And I think that's the whole thing about it...personal choice.  Like Kath, I really like that some of the more complex quilt patterns have the notches on them so they line up easier.  I remember when I cut these out by hand.  Studio Cutter is so much nicer.

Sue E.  thank you for that info.  I will do it after tomorrow is over.  We are having a surprise 25th anniversary

party or reception for our daughter and son-in-law  then I can breathe.  So will probably do it next week.

Problem is though, a new gear isn't going to make it easier to turn as the 2 rollers will still be the same

distance apart.

Will talk to them about that.

Thanks.

Colette:

I'm pretty sure that the dies with all the snips around the edge are for making rag quilts....the ones that have the seam allowance exposed and then snipped so that they ravel & fray when washed.  Not my thing but for those who make them, the die cuts do all of that snipping work for them.

I put my Studio Cutter on a stainless steel portable island that I bought at Ikea. It rolls right out of the way when I need the space for something else. It also has a "towel" bar on each when I hang my June Tailor Short Cut rulers on S-hooks. There are 2 shelves underneath for storage. It's the perfect all around solution to the problem of no space.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/00058487/

We finally figured out that my quilting room is 10.5 by 10.5 feet in size.   :(    We had to turn the closet into an alcove just to get Lenni in.  I also have a corner unit for my Viking,  and a small cabinet that has several small drawers in it.  There is very little floor space, and no space for the cart, and no space for the Studio on top of it.    We are trying to figure out where to put the Studio if I do buy it, and no sparks of inspiration are coming to us. <_<

Oh, way back when, we use to call those carts with 3 shelves and wheels a utility cart..  I'm shocked to realize I remembered that name!   ROFL.

I do thank you Darlene and everyone else for the info.. 

Rita

I recently did a small quilt out of left over charm squares that I had bought with the pinked edges.  I learned that one manufacturer's charmed squares were not the size of another...so it took some doing to piece this little quilt together....so making my own charmed squares out of my scraps or yardage with the Go makes them more uniform in size.  I have used a sharpie to mark "line up" lines on my dies where I have about 1/4 inch of fabric extra on the sides to get a clean cut.  And I have also put on a few more perpendicular lines to aid me when I am loading up the dies with scrap fabrics to cut....I do try and put  my scraps on the lengthwise grain to help in getting straight cuts and uniform sizes as multiple layers of fabric can slide a bit while going through the cutter.  I see that the newer Accuquilt dies are putting angle lines on the strip dies to add in making angled cuts out of your strips as a second cut.  Rita, I too have a very small room for my longarm down in my basement.  What I have done is to have my main cutting and sewing room upstairs in another area.  I have second sets of tools I use in both places so I don't have to keep running up and down the stairs,  This actually works good for me as when I am cutting and piecing, I am close to everything...like the kitchen  :)  Maybe there would be space for the cutter and cart in some other area?  I have been keeping an eye out for one of those utility cars to use in my longarm area but I need a fairly narrow one.....Lin

Thanks everyone for your answers and comments, this is all helpful! I was intrigued to discover the Accucut and similar paper /craft cutting dies from other brands are compatible, some likely requiring adapters, but nice this can be extended to other uses.

Can the narrower die, such as Super 2 1/4" strip, go in the wider SG tray, using the wider SG plastic, or does everything have to be the same size, Super die, tray and plastic, or SG die, tray and plastic? I'm trying to minimize how many pieces/parts I'd need to get started.

Archived