EMERGENCY- need help near Dallas/Farmer's Branch

My son Brandon took that job in Dallas and has been there for three weeks. His wife and girls are still in Kentucky until mid December.  He is in a real bind and I can't help him.

He was staying in a cheap hotel, but he decided it was too dangerous. He can't afford a more expensive one on what money he's making.  He's been sleeping in the back seat of his truck in a nice shopping center in a nice area because he felt that was safer than the drug and hooker hotel he was in.

Today, somebody rear ended his truck and tore it up. He doesn't have another vehicle there.  He replaced the tail light and said he will just have to drive it wrecked for now.

He hasn't been able to find a house they will be able to afford to rent.

He is depressed and I am very worried. He is talking about quitting and coming back here. If he comes back here he will never get a good job. He will end up in a factory.

Can anybody help at all?  Maybe a room to stay in, maybe a dinner or something?  I know it's hard for him being away from Tiffany and the girls, but nothing is going his way.

So sorry I wish I could help, I can really relate because my brother is in a similar situation.  He moved to Florida then relocated to Las Vegas because there just isn't much good work anywhere it seems.  It's been years and he had to room mate with a few people but he is finally standing on his own two legs out there.  Sending prayers your way hoping that something changes soon for the better!  :(

Sorry to hear of your son's situation. Certainly sometimes, when it rains it pours. I contacted someone I know who spent 5 years in Texas, Dallas area and are back in NY now.  They also had tough times. Here are some things for your son to try:

In Tx they have a help line. If you call 211, you can get many resources.

I was told the Salvation Armies in Tx, a lot of them serve food, brk, lunch, dinner.

There is a place in Pilot Point, Tx called Goodfellows Storehouse, it is on Rt. 377. He can probably get the # from the 211 help line. The man to speak to is Luther. I understand he started it years ago and can possibly know more avenues for help for your son in his area.

I am waiting to hear from someone else in Tx. If I have any more info. I will pass it along to you. Continued prayers for your safety and for your sons safety and that things will turn around for him quickly. K

Oh my goodness! Dear sweet Teresa! So sorry to hear this......  Does your son's employer have any suggestions for him? His company most likely has a human resource department that contains a support services for its employees. Please ask your son to check with his employer for advice and suggestions. I also suggest he contact the local non profit support agencies to help him bridge the gap. We Americans pay taxes to support these non profits, and they are available to all of us when we need help.

One thing I have learned in life is this: Becareful what you ask for (help) because you just might get it!   The important thing is that he asks for help. I promise there are many places and people and support groups (charities) out there ready and willing to help him bridge the gap.

I did a search and found the places in Dallas area that can help him through the tough transition:

http://greatnonprofits.org/categories/view/homeless-and-housing/sort:review_count/direction:desc/state:TX/city:Dallas

((hugs))
Shana

Dear, sweet friends. Thank you for your advice, help, and phone calls. I spoke to a wonderful forum member a couple hours ago and she offered an air mattress, a meal,  and washing machine if Brandon will call her.  I am waiting for him to get off work and call me back. There may also be a lead on a house that might be available in exchange for some cleaning, minor repairs. We are waiting to see.  Things are still very much up in the air, but I knew I made the right decision by asking for help here.   You all hold a very special place in my heart. God bless each one of you.

(((((((friends)))))))))

I am so sorry for you and your son... our children even when they are grown are such a worry for us mothers.... If he would be interested in moving to Nebraska... the BNSF railroad is hiring and Nebraska is a safe place to live.. and good jobs... check out their web site if he is interested. Prayers to you and your son for his safety and help for him...

Archived