Took a Baby Quilt with me to Curves

I took a Baby Quilt that I had just finished to Curves with me on Friday night... and behold.. One of the ladies wanted to know how much I would sale it for. So I went home and finished the binding and in the process of making a lable for the baby..... I will deliver the quilt to my Curves Class on Monday... HOORAY!!!

I like it when the money comes in so easy... I will start taking more finished quilts with me that I want to sell. I make all kinds of quilts, but haven't sold too many of them yet...

Barb

:cool:

WAY to GO, Barb! That's a great idea. Make lots of baby quilts and lap quilts and take with you. I'll bet you could sell small ones as emergency car quilts in case of snow storms. You do nice work. I'm sure you'll do great.

I'm making a prayer quilt for my boss who has cancer. I asked everybody at work to sign a block, not intending to find business; but now several have mentioned that they have quilts to be finished, or always wanted to learn. The school where I work has also asked me to make a donation quilt for Relay for Life that they can sell chances on to raise money.

Barb this is wonderful! Congratulations!! and thank you for sharing with us a new way to perhaps bring in the customers and for giving us a glimpse of what can happen when we step out of the box.

Teresa, I am glad to see that business is picking up for you. It gives this lonely ole lady hope:D

Barb, isn't it interesting when you bring something in to "show and tell" for either your friends, colleagues or "workout buddies" at curves and then suddenly you generate new business? I don't advertise quilting at work, but I do have a few wall-hanging sized quilts hanging in my office for decoration, and I've received several unsolicited requests to make quilts for the people I work with. I've made a few quilts on commission this way. Barb, best wishes for you in the future! I think you have even more customers now. :)

Vicki is on to something! You could design a quilted purse that has ivy leaves on it and an embroidered words "Ivy Corner Quilting" on the purse. Make sure you have a handy pocket on the side that fits your business cards!!! :)

I also recall Linda Steller wears quilt-themed tshirts and generates business that way.

Quilted tote bags, quilted jackets, quilted hats, quilted shoe covers...;):P...OK, quilted shoe covers might be pushing it a little too far on the extremely psychotic/just plain silly side, LOL, but you know...whatever works! You can be a walkin'-talkin'-quiltin' billboard!

Thanks for all of the ideas... I like them.

Curves is a place for women to workout... Barb Grant is the lady who runs the Curves location and she is the one that wants to buy the baby quilt.

I like the idea of putting IVY CORNER QUILTING on a bag to take along with me... I do pass my Business Cards out all of the time...

Thanks. Ladies... You are all great!!

Barb

I have another suggestion for making your business more visible. Besides being a newbie longarm quilter I am also a commercial embroiderist. I must Love big equipment since I have both Millie and a single head Tajima at home in my sewing studio "area" (ever expanding).

I have been planning on incorporating machine embroidery and quilting - what better way than helping fellow quilters increase their visibility. It can be as simple as a stock embroidery design with your company name added or a professionally digitized logo. I can sew it out onto totes, shirts, jackets, caps - if it can be sewn on, it can be done!

A very good friend has a swiftly growing commercial embroidery business with a retail location and one of her tag lines is - "Promote your business- Wear It". It is so very true. If anyone is interested feel free to contact me .

Lisa:D

Check out the graphic cartoon-design that Grammie Tammie has on her web site -- the longarm machine looks a lot like a APQS Millennium...and the "Grammie" looks a lot like Tammie! :D You can ask her where she got that graphic -- she probably designed it herself (wouldn't surprise me...she's so talented) or she hired someone to design it for her.

Lisa, I also have an embroidery machine (not commercial size) and I would like to have the Millennium embroidered on something, let me know if you do get it digitized, I would gladly pay for you to stitch one for me. I loved that t-shirt also! It's a hoot! Maybe we should all wear one to MQS in June... ~Kathy~

Have you gotten latest issue of Unlimited Possibilities?

Inside they had an article on "Onion Jackets". It showed the many jackets and vests Longarmers have made. I was just blown away by some of the things that these ladies had done.

I in no way am a seemstress(sp?) but I just had to try one of these vests. Used an old vest of mine as a pattern and just quilted the daylights out of it. The color choices were not that great, and I didn't plan it out very well. Just went for it. It actually worked. Only had to sew up the shoulders and bind it like a quilt. Overall, an easy project and what better advertising than to walk around with a piece of your work on your body.

Showed it to the neighbors and I have been asked to make some for them.

Just thought I'd share!

Happy Quilting!

Laura

Ladies,

I designed a shirt for longarm quilters. It says, "Make Mine Continuous Line". It is great for advertising and for a work shirt. It's pictured on Columbia River Quilting website. Here's the link: http://columbiariverquilting.com/continuous_line_design_tee_shirts.html

The newer ones don't have 2005, as pictured.

I take orders as well, at toodevine4 @ aol.com (remove spaces) Please take a look. They are wonderful quality shirts, not a standard "show shirt."

I have sold many at Innovations and HMQS in Salt Lake. I hope you like them! It was featured as a new product in Unlimited Possibilities July 06 issue.

Teri Devine in Idaho

Several years ago, when I was quilting for customers as my only income, I gave my favorite customers a little present- and it advertised my business too. Many piecers like to store their quilts in pillow cases and I often received and returned customer quilts in pillow cases.

I bought those plain 100% cotton laundry bags (from Walmart, Target... where ever I found them at a good price, sometimes just a dollar) and embroidered my business name across them. Since my business is called Apple Creek Quilting, I used an embroidery machine applique design of an apple and added my business name to the top with my phone number on the bottom (in a circular array around the appliqued apple) in the largest hoop. My customers carried their quilts in those bags to guild meetings and such... and I got free advertising!! Those bags were such a success, I started to make them for any quilt that was being given as a present by my customer- embroidered with the piecer's name, recipient's name, special date, and occassion on the other side of the laundry bag....with my business logo on the front, of course! :D

Archived