Help!! Totally Frustrated

Hi all!  I got my Lucey in October and have had a problem with the thread shredding and it is showing up between the two pigtails.  I have checked for burrs on the top pigtail.  Tension looks good on both top and bottom.  The thread doesn't seem to be getting hung up anywhere.  I was using bottom line thread on top and bottom and now am using so fine on both.  No difference in either one.  I have spoken to Dawn and headquarters and am still having the same problem.  I am about ready to give up and put her up for sale!  Here is a picture.  (Sorry it's sideways!  )

post-44965-0-91198300-1388620844_thumb.jpg

To me it looks like the problem is from the last pigtail to the needle, or the needle itself. Does different needles/sizes make a difference? Or possibly it is happening as the thread starts it's rotation around the hook? It just looks to be lower than between the two pigtails, I think, anyway.  Hope you can get it figured out soon because you have a great machine.

Dawn may had suggested it already, but turn the pigtail in the photo upside down. It looks like that's where your thread is getting abraded. Turning it will expose the smooth area and allow you to continue quilting until you can order new pigtails. When you order, get four pigtails, a new bobbin case, a needle set-screw, and if you can swing the cost, a new bobbin assembly. These are crucial parts that, if they're on hand, will allow you to swap out and continue quilting. Invariably you'll need these on a Friday night of a holiday weekend with a deadline quilt loaded.

Another suggestion--I will continue forever to recommend Sewer's Aid applied liberally to the cone of thread and re-applied throughout the day as a way to smooth thread and defeat breakage. I slather it on the cone and also the bobbin thread. I use BottomLine and So Fine usually.

Hi,  I have a Lucey....I got it in March but really did not quilt much until this fall and I was having problems with tension on the back...turns out I was threading it wrong or rather the thread had popped out of one of the guides...anyway...don't give up yet.....it takes a while to get to know the machine.....your shredding problem looks to me like it might be lower down also...that it is shredding somewhere between that last pigtail and the bobbin somewhere.....have you checked the needle, and the needle plate?  How long can you stitch before it shreds...is it all the time?  have you tried a different sized needle?  Too small or too large of a needle can cause shredding...I assume you have been cleaning out the bobbin area well?  is the needle inserted all the way in?  This is solvable I believe....folks with more experienced that I will chime in here I am sure....Lin

I am sure there are a few reasons why there is a thread shredding problem.  I have been going through that right now and have communicated with Dawn regarding it.  Because I have other issues along with the shredding, I am now awaiting a needle positioner module to replace mine which Dawn thinks will, also,  take care of my thread shredding.  I know this is all frustrating, but I think this company is great and the help that we get from them and this board is absolutely wonderful.  I will let you all know the results of my "fix" once the part gets here.  I sure hope you can get your problem straightened out soon, too.   

Sorry for your frustration.

This is going to sound really funny, stupid, but do you have the tension really set correctly.  I had been quilting with a very fine thread that kept continually breaking.  Then I needed to change thread to quilt a different quilt and did my regular tension adjustments.  I ended up quilting a 97 inch square quilt over a few days and never had the thread break once. 

I hope you can find the right solution soon.

Boy do I feel your pain.  I have been through this very same thing and I know how frustrating it all is.  Since I had purchased my machine used from someone that had inherited it and really knew nothing about the machine...I ended up replacing the bobbin assembly and needle bar.  What a difference that all made for me!  I do have some threads that would shred no matter what I did and so I had decided that I just couldn't use those threads anymore. Then there was a discussion about using Sewers Aid or Mineral Oil on the thread.  So, I tried it and couldn't believe the difference it made! No more shredding or breakage and the stitches looked great. 

I am sure that Dawn has talked with you about all sorts of things to try.  I do agree with the others here on that the shredding is happening in your needle and or bobbin area.  That is where I would concentrate your efforts in resolving this problem.  You might want to check your bobbin tension, hook assembly, needle size, needle hole plate and how your bobbin is wound.  These can all cause shredding if they are out of whack.

When Penny had that problem, the needle or the bobbin casing was the culprit.

Once it was the needle hole in the throat plate, and I think once on the hook.

Since I got the tension set, Penny will sew with anything.. now and then a

very small adjustment on bobbin or upper tension.

Rita

Really appreciate all the suggestions. I have done the pigtail thing, tried different size needles and played with both upper and lower tension. Right now my stitches look perfect and still having some issues. Not as frequent as before, but still there. I have a new top loaded and if it continues tomorrow I guess I will ma another call on Monday. {{Sigh}}

Melzee  please don't avoid calling Amy, at the APQS plant.  She is terrific

and often, most of the time, can tell what a problem is by listening over the phone. 

Yes, over the phone.

Since Amy convinced Himself the inner workings aren't to be played with,

I selldom ever have a problem.  When I do it's my fault.

Love stitching well and not worrying.  The computer does my work.. not me.

Anyway Dawn knows all kinds of things, still there is nothing like letting Amy

hear the machine over the phone. Or maybe a different method or sequence

of things to do.

RitaR

Archived