Best tutorial or instructions for tension on Millie???

Hi Everyone,

Happy Practicing Day over here!  I think I need to just stop practicing and jump in with both feet - My practice muslin quilts are piling up!  Yikes.

Question for you as I am now a little obsessed with my tension.  What is the best tutorial or instructions for our Milleniums to adjust the tension?

I have the bobbin fine (I did the palm test)  perhaps I need to buy a TOWA gauge??  Not sure yet. 

I just need a good basic tutorial about our tension and start from ground zero.  I really want to make myself familiar with how to fix the tension when its off a bit. 

Thanks Friends.

I don't have any suggestions for a good tutorial but would check out the ones that have been mentioned.  When I started I learned by quilting on practice quilts of muslin.  I have never use any kind of tension gauge for my Milli.  For me, it's a "feel" you get with the thread.  I can usually tell by pulling on the bobbin and the top thread at the same time.  And after every bobbin change I always do a tension test on a scrap of fabric at the side of my quilt. Different threads go through more holes or less holes in the tension guide.  The drop test that I have used for ever with my Berninas does not work for me on my Milli. I tried Jami Wall en's tension test after one of his classes and it failed miserably for me, so every machine is different.  Good luck! 

PS....I always surge around my practice pieces and take them to the Humane Society for doggie blankets.  They are always happy to get them.  That way, I don't feel bad about using up all that fabric, batting and thread.    :D

Superior threads has a superior section on tension under the Education tab on their website.  Pay particular attention to the article called 'Tug of War.'  Yes, I would recommend you get a Towa gauge.  All sorts of vagaries can cause your bobbin to drop or not in your hand.  There's nothing like a good steady pull to tell you if you have appropriate tension or not.  As Meg said - I use my Towa gauge all the time, and I also use Magna-Glide bobbins.  They can only give you great tension if you have a bobbin case that is set for the appropriate tension.  Also - you may have seen another thread on tension here where I posted a photo of a little test patch I sew in the upper left of each quilt -- out in the margin of extra batting and backing.  I use that for a couple of quick loops and spikes to see if my tension is perfect.  Only after confirming it there, do I proceed onto the quilt.  Saves a lot of ripping time!

I also recommend a TOWA.   If my bobbin tension is set, then all I need to fiddle with is my top tension.    The only thing I don't like about the TOWA is that I rely on it for each and every bobbin.   I should be taking the time to get that 'feel' like everyone else talks about. 

That being said,  I like that I have that 'sweet spot' with my TOWA (around 180 for my machine) and then all I worry about it adjusting the top -. I tighten the top until I see little dots. of bobbin showing through the top of the quilt, and then slowly loosen the tension 1/4 turn at a time until I don't see those dots. 

And then when you try a new brand of thread you realize it's a whole new ball game again! LOL I just realized that some threads are wound clockwise, some counterclockwise on the spool, and that will also affect how you deal with your top tension!  

Archived