Rattle in bobbin case

Dawn told me that the grease used is special and that it is unlikely you you can source it locally.  As I understood her, it is not the white lithium grease available at the auto stores.  What she sent me does not look like the lithium grease I have (it's a different color).  Wait until APQS can ship you some to be sure.  Jim

I seem to have to clean and oil my hook area as it get rattley pretty often, so this post got my attention. I looked at 2 videos, one on bobbin maintenance and the other on packing the gear box.  I didn't see one for repacking behind the bobbin case. Are you all talking about the gear box? If it is the gear box, Amy states that the sound would be like a growl. Dianna stated hers is making a rattle and so is mine.  I hope someone can clarify for both of us.  Thanks, K

For me, a growl means re-pack the gear box and a rattle means clean and re-oil the hook assembly.  I just assumed that Dianna got her advice to re-pack the gear box from someone knowledgeable: one quilter's "growl" is another quilter's "rattle"!  And Jim, I was told (years ago) that it's the same white lithium grease, but it would be nice to know for sure!!  I hope someone from APQS service will get on her and enlighten us.

As mentioned by several others, when my machine growls it means to repack the gear box, a rattle to me means low bobbin. I bought a couple of grease packs from APQS for about $2 each and repacked the gearbox, it was easy to do.

Leslie

Dianna:  If you're running your machine until the hook starts "complaining", you're not oiling it often enough.  I oil mine for every sewing session.  Some folks oil their's even more often, but I don't think that's necessary.  Failure to oil the hook will not only make the machine noisy, it will lead to premature hook failure.  It's one of the maintenance things you really need to do.  Good luck.  Jim

Thank you, everyone for you answers. My DH says it is a growl not a rattle. And yes I do the cleaning and oiling after every quilt. I have been very diligent in maintenance of my machine. I will be calling APQS in the morning and ordering some lubriplate grease GR132. So no quilting until it gets here. I have my grandson for the week and it is in the 100's so we will swim. Again thanks, Dianna

Archived