LUCEY is rattling, bobbin case question

LUCEY is rattling...I am working on a batik quilt....when I checked the bobbin area there is nothing loose...I cleaned, oiled, etc...then I remembered I had a new bobbin case...tried it...same rattling...it sounds like something is very loose somewhere...

Although it didn't solve my problem I noticed that when I compared the 2 cases I see the new one has a thin blue lining in it...but my original one doesn't... was it supposed to? Was it missing? could it have fallen out? I hope you know what piece I am referring to...

I read the other threads about rattling...but I don't think my machine was doing this before...

When my bobbin area rattles.. it usually means that it needs a drop of oil.   If you have not oiled the bobbin assembly area, you may want to try that.  If you do oil it regularly, then I am not sure what the rattle is and a call to APQS in the morning might be in order.

If you are using Magna bobbins you do not need the bobbin brake spring in your bobbin.

Is the bobbin you are using close to being empty, as all bobbins seem to rattly more as they get emptier for some of us we can hear that differences and know  we are about to run out of bobbin thread.

Yes, I have oiled it..and also do notice as the bobbin empties it rattles more but still there is a rattling...like something is loose or about to fall out...I have taken off the plate, all looks secure...stitches seem fine..I am quilting top and back batik...

Tella,

Some rattle is normal. When your machine forms a stitch, the bobbin basket (the dark grey part in the hook where your bobbin case snaps in) wobbles left and right. That small piece of metal that holds it in place and keeps it from spinning around (the hook retaining finger) must not be inserted all the way so that your top thread can sneak between it and the bobbin basket. When you quilt, you can hear that bobbin basket swiveling left and right, striking the sides of that finger--again, perfectly normal.

Try removing the needle plate and dropping 3-4 drops of oil down between the dark part of the hook and the rotating part. Turn the fly wheel by hand to distribute the oil down to the lower portion of the hook assembly. Then put the cover back on and sew on a scrap to pick up excess oil.

• 2 years later...

Dawn,  you just made my day.  I found this on the Forum after leaving Amy a "recording" of the rattle.  She will probably be laughing hard.  I took the plate off and oiled as you suggested.  Lo and behold, no rattle.  What a dummy.  I oil in the bobbin case at the bottom as you showed us in the maintenance workshop in early 2015 at Chris Ginkens studio in Houston.  I probably have not down this thing at the top in a while.  Will need to do a better job.  Was really scared.

Thanks for the Forum!!

mona

Archived