DH is coming around

So...he is finally starting to see the light...I have had my machine for 3 years this month and finally he realizes that I have plenty enough to keep me out of trouble all day if I stay home and quilt!! Yippee!! I have not written my letter to my employer yet, but I may practice;) Between you and me, I think it is just that time of year, I have about 5 t-shirt quilts to make in addition to several real quilts. Most people don't like the t-shirt quilts, but they do generate the moola and that is what it takes to pay off this machine...soo woohoo, he is getting it!!!

Oh, I'm so happy for you. My DH still thinks this is a "hobby". We've had several "discussions" about this is a true business and I have deadlines. He doesn't get it yet. I work 4 days, but would sure like to make it 3 now. Right now I have 14 quilts stacked up - a hobby - get real DH!!! I really hope you get to work full-time quilting. We will all help you write your resignation letter!!! Yipeeee!

You Go Girl!!!!!

Sharon.

Me too...and you too!! My DH doesn't think of it as a hobby, he knows it is a real job, it is just to sporatic and he is trying to keep my feet on the ground. He is a general foreman over a plant in North Kansas City and he schedules rail cars for repair everyday. He has this perfect system and he wants to "help" me. His company sends people from thier plants all over the US to learn his system, so I know it is good for railcars, not sure about the quilting business. I am willing to give it a try, but he is trying to be MY general foreman too...and that ain't gonna work.

I am so happy for you. I have had the worst fights with DH. He to thinks it is a hobby. I am a newbie to LA but not to quilting (30+ years). He to wants to manage my business. I had to keep reminding him this was my business. I helped him start his produce business and that is his. Hopefully he will come around also.

Oh, Mary Beth, I don't think anyone of us really thought he wasn't wonderful....just clueless.

Now a hobby....my hubby could suggest several...all also expensive. Which I like because he doesn't give me any hassle about my toys.

Lets see there is scuba, small bore and large bore shooting matches, woodworking....Gene loves to build stuff and he's a great person for "I would like this to do that and whatta ya think....AND whamo...in no time I have what I wanted.

Right now he needs to put his plumber hat on...the hot water heater went out today, bummer....guess I had better start heating up the buckets of water for his bath.

Cathey,

That is just it...he does all the laundry - even hangs it up and folds it...all but my underwear and socks...he is like a 10 year old when it comes to that!! He also cooks when he is off work, runs the vacuum, sweeps and mops the hardwood floors...cleans out the fridge, chops wood for the fireplace (even goes out and cuts down the trees) in addition to working a 12 hour day - 5 to 6 days a week...he is really all a girl could ask for...but somehow he has too much time on his hands to worry about my quilting business.

Wow! You lucky girl. My DH is wonderful, he lets me buy all the fabric I want and will even take me to quilt shops and wait while I indulge myself. He doesn't clean and do all the household chores though. If I could just get him to do that life would be too perfect!!! Oh, my DH also bought my millie for me for my birthday. I think it was out of guilt though because he bought himself a new harley motorcycle. Expensive hobbies for hubbies can pay dividends to the wives!!:D

Janet

Oh, I wish my family would take my business seriously. I either quilt or piece from about 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. unless I have my grandson. The days that I do have him, I work from 8:30 to noon and then have him until 10:00 p.m. Joshua is at the stage where if it won't fit into his mouth then he wants to climb it. If he can't climb it and it has four legs then he wants to tease it until it barks or meows. I am forever following him around to keep him from harm's way. Don't get the wrong idea. I dearly love my grandson, but I don't get things done when he is here

I would so appreciate it if DH or DS would cook a meal or do dishes once in a while. Maybe throw a load of clothes in the washer or fold them up. I would also appreciate it if my DD and DSIL would realize that I can't work when Joshua is here even if they are here, too, because they don't keep him away from Libby. I keep telling them that I have to have quilts completed by a certain date, but it doesn't seem to soak in that I can't do everything around the house, watch the baby, and quilt at the same time!

Oooh, sorry. That kind of got out of hand and off the subject. But it did feel good to vent!

Mary Beth, you are so lucky to have Rod. I know he gives you a hard time about your business sometimes, but he does seem to be supportive and helpful around the house. He could start a business of his own teaching less thoughtful husbands how to be more helpful to their quilting wives.

Oh dear, its dinner time and I have no idea what to fix for dinner, and no desire to do so. I think we got a special coupon from Domino's in the mail today. I think I may just order a pizza.

Phyllis

Originally posted by Mary Beth

Okay, I have been thinking and I take it back! :) My DH is wonderful, and he means well, he is.."just trying to help"...but he really needs to get a hobby...a real hobby.

LOL I get that kind of help from my cats!!! do what I do - kiss him and gently oooch him out of the room!!!

Oh dear, I wish my husband wouldn't try to do the laundry. It just makes more work. Or makes me look like more of a dork than I really am! Yesterday I came home and my delicates were wadded up in a ball on the bed the cat sleeps on. Some things were shrunk beyond my comfort zone and the fuzzy socks I like to wear in my studio were still damp. :(

We've argued about this before but he just doesn't understand. He's a traveling businessman and all his clothes go to the cleaners.

But he's so darn cute.

Archived