Two-color quilt pattern

Every year my husband's school (a very small country K-8 with 200 kids) kicks the year off with a BBQ and cake raffle about three weeks after the start of school. The teachers and their spouses make their best cakes and sometimes parents will donate cakes they have purchased. Some of these cakes reach upwards of $300 in bids, believe it or not! This next year, instead of making a cake, I will be making a quilt and donating it for pre-event raffle ticket sales so that some of the less financially fortunate parents can buy a $5 ticket and have a chance of winning.

What I need to find is a nice pattern that isn't too traditional that it is boring, something that will look nice with a panto on it, and something that will look good with just two fabrics, a blue and a white (the school's colors, of course). I've looked on the internet and on pinterest but thought I'd ask here since so many of you see lots more quilt patterns than me. I'd like it to finish somewhere around 60 x 80 but that's negotiable.

Any quilt pattern ideas are most welcome!!

The pre-raffle is a good idea.   I've donated quilts to events where there are also homemade baked goods and some purchased baked goods.  People go crazy and bid high prices for a pie that was purchased at the local grocery store on the way to the event !   Not even homemade.   But, the quilts will barely bring enough to cover the costs.   

That's a really nice idea!  I donate a quilt each year to my old Catholic High School for their auction.  A couple of years ago the theme was "Wizard of Oz" so I cut "bricks" 3 x 6 all of shades of gold, randomly pieced them and quilted with a panto.  It brought more than some of the "nicer" items that had been donated (Not my definition, but some others).   Using the school colors is awesome, and I particularly like that everyone will have a chance to win!

How about this beauty, it a two colour quilt with 20 different layout options so you can customize to your style!  

You can find the pattern as a PDF download on my Etsy Site here.   Sorry I couldn't resist a shameful plug for our Highway 10 Designs pattern!! :)

Edited to add that has two sizes - 60"x 70" and 80"x 80".

post-3485-0-60093900-1413501216_thumb.jpg

An easy and more modern design that looks great in two colors (and appeals to everyone) is a chevron/zig zag quilt made with half-square triangles. You could use the same white fabric and be scrappy with the blues if you have a lot in your stash. I'll try to find a link to some photos.

http://exuberantcolor.blogspot.com/search/label/zig%20zag

This is a great blog with lots of gorgeous designs and patterns.

You can also do a zig zag quilt using a two-color strata and placing them on point to make the zig zag. Patterns are all over if you google "zig zag quilt pattern".

the Missouri Quilt Company has a great two color one that is called "disappearing pinwheel"  at least I think that is what it is called...you end up with a very creative star for a block...make as many blocks as you like to get your size, when you put them together you get a secondary design. Fast and easy.  They have a tutorial on it, check it out on their web page

http://www.missouriquiltco.com/

Thanks for all the great responses. I really needed help getting my brain going and then I spent FOUR hours on Pinterest and google images and decided on the Hunter's Star. Lo and behold, Debbie and Meg suggested it, too!! I've been wanting to make one since I bought the Rapid Fire Hunter's Star ruler a few years ago and now's a great opportunity. This is what I'm hoping it will look like. http://www.lindafranz.com/blog/inklingo/hunters-star-quilts/ With blues, gold/yellow, and white. I didn't realize there was more than one layout for the Hunter's Star, like there is for the log cabin block. I wish I could find a link that shows layouts.

Thank you to everyone else who responded. I'm making a list of your ideas as they might come in handy in the future if I venture down this road again!

Kathy, I went to your Etsy store and bought your pattern this morning. I have some fabric in my stash that I think this will be great with and I'm going to make a quilt for ME. Thanks for posting about your pattern -- I've seen it before but out of sight, out of mind!

Ha!

I also have Deb Tucker's Hunters Star ruler.

I liked her LeMoyne ruler so much, I bought it.

It's on my winter list of things to make.

I think I'm going scrappy with an itty bitty block size.

Great minds think alike, Bonnie.

I guess that means we're great, right?

You will love Deb Tucker's Hunters Star ruler, easy straight piecing and perfect seam matches.  I used it to make a two fabric quilt and after playing with different color placements in EQ came up with this configuration.  A picture of this quilt was posted a few years back so it may look familiar to you.  Be sure to post pictures of your quilts when they are finished!

post-3802-0-90985400-1413560586_thumb.jpg

Bonnie, glad you found something you like.  Before I saw that you had already made a decision, I saw this quilt in my LQS just an hour ago.  The shop owner is the designer, and it was featured in the Winter, 2014 issue of Quilter's World (of which she is also the editor).  Definitely a pattern I will keep in mind!

M08184_Peppermint_300.jpg?rand=390632045

Betsy, that is pretty! I'm noting the little narrow red border. I've done that before and I think it makes such a striking addition to this quilt in particular. The quilting is complimenting. Thanks for sharing it. I'm going to add this to my little stack of two-color quilts -- and this one would look great in scrappy bright colors, too, I think.

Archived