No dealers in my area

I've been actively researching long arms for months now, and as much as I would love to see and try out APQS the only dealers within 200 miles seem to be quilters. No APQS dealers are coming to the next quilt shows I am attending in Puyallup WA or Portland OR according to the vendor lists. I am sure that the professional longarm quilters who are listed as dealers here are happy to demonstrate their own machines, and are likely well informed, but I am nervous making a purchase that big without a larger dealer behind me for training and service. Any experience to share?

Barb Mayfield is in North Bend Washington and is knowledgeable, generous, and a whiz at machine repair. If you're here in the Northwest, you can't go wrong if you buy an APQS machine and need help, with her a phone call away. She travels extensively to demo at shows and has come to my studio in Olympia to replace parts and tune up the machine. She has a case full of parts and pieces if you're ever needing a part quickly.

Every dealer teaches a free beginner's class and other more advanced classes are available for a fee.

I assume you've researched other brands and realize that instruction is available on all machines. That said, most of us have gone to the machine quilting shows to take classes from the masters of the industry. These classes are not usually machine-specific, but technique-specific. If you want one-on-one instruction, there are professionals who will come to your studio for a fee.

We all want to believe that our big purchase of whatever machine we decided upon was the best idea, so you may not get an unbiased reply here. :)

Please know that APQS is a well-run, USA-based company that supplies a superior product with a lifetime warranty and has an army of happy customers.

Duane, where are you located?  If you're coming as far as Puyallup, you're welcome to come just a little further (well, 45 minutes or so) up to my studio in North Bend, just east of Issaquah, WA.  If that's too far to come, I'm sure we can find APQS owners closer to you who would be willing to open their own studio to you so that you can see our APQS machines in action.  First, though, we have to have an idea of where you're located! ;)

(and thanks for all the compliments, Linda - I'm blushing!)

Thank you both. I am way down in the bottom of Washington, just north of Battle Ground. I will be at the Puyallup show later this week, but that is a 2 1/2 hour drive from here. Still, I am finding that the dealers for all of the big machines are far from me! 

I've looked at Handiquilter in Olympia at a quilt store there, and at the Innova at a dealer in McMinnville (again, 2 hours away), and at the Crown Jewel and Pfaff machines at the Portland dealer where I get my sewing machines. The prices and extras are all over the place, and every time I think I have a decision made, new information comes along. I'm sure this is an old story since there are so many of us out there trying to find the "best" machine for our needs. I appreciate the information and quick answers here!

There are APQS Reps just south of you, in the Portland area: Bekah Tellez and Beth Durand come to mind right away.  They are both wonderful Reps and would be happy to let you come and play on their Millenniums to give them a try.  There are lots of APQS owners near you - I have customers all along the I-5 corridor in WA and OR - so if you just want to be able to try out a variety of machines, let me know, and I'll find one for you to try.  Or give Bekah or Beth a call - you'll find their contact info on the APQS website under "Find A Dealer."

Remember that this group is such a valuable commodity.  I don't have a dealer near me either.  I was pretty confused about what to buy also.  My previous quilting machine was a Juki with a 9 inch throat and a 12 foot wooden table that I bought in the early to mid 80's.  Anything would have been a big improvement.  I bought this one about 7 years ago from a lady in town who was selling hers.  She had some life problems and had to move and no longer had the time or space to have her machine. Unbelievable luck on my part.  I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned from this forum.  And I can't say enough good things about the APQS team and company.  Always just a phone call away and so helpful.  I have been able to fix anything I've needed to fix with a phone call to APQS and I haven't incurred a dealership charge.  Amy helped me retime my machine on the telephone and by sending me instructions with pics by email and they have a wonderful video.  Piece of cake!  I have friends and family with other brands of machines and they are always envious of me for the quality of my machine and it's stitches and all the help that is available to me all the time. 

My motto is to always buy the biggest and best you can afford.  In my case it was the Liberty.  It has a 20" throat space and a 12' table.  I haven't come across anything too big for me to quilt.  I think a Millie would be awesome, but I can't justify the cost for me yet so for now my Liberty is perfect.

APQS is the Lexus of the quilting machine world. I own both so I know what I'm talking about.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Hi Daune,

I live in Ontario, Canada so I am MUCH further away from a dealer than you are.

I purchased another brand of machine about 2 years ago from a local quilting shop - lets just say it was not the smartest decision I have ever made!

I recently sold that machine and purchased an APQS Lucey. I got it last week, and have started my first quilt on it today.

One of the big reasons I went with APQS was this forum. There are a number or very knowledgeable quilters and dealers - and APQS staff - who are on the forum regularly and who seem extraordinarily generous with support and knowledge. I am quite confident that if I should have a problem, that I would be able to fix it - probably by myself - by either referring to the extensive operator manual, or asking on this forum, or both. My experience is that that level of support is not necessarily available from other companies and/or forums.

I wish you luck with your decision. It is a huge investment, and buying the wrong machine for the wrong reasons is harder still on one's finances. Ask me how I know :)

Janice

Good advice! I have been reading the lists for many of the brands, and find that people are incredibly loyal to the brand of machine they own which makes it hard to compare :) I have been impressed with the APQS blogs and immediate response of people here though, and yes, SO much information, which makes such a difference. My sewing machine dealer is really pushing the Crown Jewel or the Pfaff now, and even with the software they are cheaper than the APQS or Innova machines, but I have this feeling that they might not be as good or as much fun to use. It's hard to compare features when sometimes, the cheaper machines have some bells and whistles that I don't need, but might not have the power or reliability that I do need, if that makes sense. And a more expensive machine often comes with less of those flashy things, but more of the long term ones. Hmmm....

Daune, as I tell all of my prospective customers, you need to find the right machine for YOU - one that fits your needs, your space AND your budget.  It's like buying a car: just because I drive a Subaru doesn't mean that you shouldn't drive a Ford 150 truck or a little strap-on Kia.  You should test-drive all the different machines you can find, compare the bells and whistles that you actually expect to use, and factor in reliability and warranties.  I can't say for sure that an APQS system is the right machine for you, but I know it's the right one for me!! ;)

Daune,

Welcome to the forum.  I think that most of us have been where you are right now wondering which machine to buy.  When I was looking I was given a piece of advice by a longarm vendor at a show.  She wasn't an APQS dealer but told me that whatever brand of machine I was considering to make sure that it was a purpose built industrial machine and not just a stretched version of a DSM.  Beyond having heard the names of the two machines you mention I know nothing about them.  One of the things that I have noticed with some of the machines that have popped up in the last few years is that they have terrible tension, particularly horrible bobbin tension.  Be sure to check the underneath of the quilt on the machine not just the top.

When you do decide and are waiting for your machine to arrive don't worry about buyers remorse, most of us have been there too!  It goes away quickly once you machine arrives and is set up and you begin to play.

Good luck with your shopping. :)

Duane, be sure you are comparing apples to apples. Lots of machines have a low advertised price. Once you start adding in the options, the price quickly increases. Kind of like going to a car dealership and having them say..oh, you wanted tires with the car? That will be extra. I have an APQS machine. I went to a show thinking I would purchase another brand. I am not sorry I changed my mind, and if I ever trade up, it will be an APQS..although I think the machine will outlive me. Five years and not one problem, ever.

I'm in the middle of no where in Wyoming. No reps close, but a wonderful support system with APQS. There would be no brand within a 2 hour drive of me. I love my machine and the service and support I have received. Test drive any and all machines and find the right one for you, but you are smart to look at support, and APQS support is great.

Shirley

Also, listen to the machine.. one that sounds rattly, jerky etc sure isn't the best made

Check their thread path, see if it is smooth and has adjustments that can be made for

variouse threads.  Like alternate routes for thicker or thinner threads... for the APQS it

is the two 3 hole guides that are available.

Same with the bobbin, does it fit well, does it pull off smoothly? 

The lighting system.. I have a 2008 Lenni and am fairly happy with the lighting, though

there are add on's or overhead systems that can be purchased.

If it is a used machine, check the thread as it comes out of the throat plate,

make sure there are no snags, nothing for the thread to snag on when pulled in all directions.

When used the condition of the throat plate can give you big tiips.. scratched, dents, etc

means needles have been broken and then asked why.. if machine is used.

Watching the you tube video's is a wondrous help.. be sure also to watch the

Jamie Wallen videos'.  He's  "Quilter's Apothecary"

Cant think of anything else right now.. the machine isn't hard to use, if you practice, practice, practice

on a dry erase board, or on waste paper, or as Jamie Wallen does, the kids news print tablets from

Dollar Tree.   Or you can contact your town newspaper and ask about roll ends.  One gal I know

uses the patio door with dry erase markers.

Think the purchase through, if need be take a list of features you want to check out, and no matter

what you buy, you are always welcome here..

Welcome aboard the forum.. don't be a stranger, and be sure to let us see picts of your works.

Rita

Archived