Another quilt addict

While they were here Bre asked to learn to use the sewing machine.  She is 7 years old now, but we have been hesitant because of her cerebral palsy.  She did a great job with lots of supervision.  I would not trust her to do it by herself yet- too many steps to remember and not enough hand control to keep her little fingers out of the path of the needle all the time.  

She pieced and quilted a little quilt for her new Christmas Barbie named Raquel.  You can see the doll laying there in the picture, because it was picking out the fabrics.

post-1022-0-32654400-1420325113_thumb.jpg

I bought my two 8 year old granddaughters sewing machines for Christmas.  One of my son's had mentioned that his daughter wanted a sewing machine.  I asked him if he was ready to get a room ready for her "stash"!  I can't wait to sew with them.  We plan to start with hemming some flannel infant receiving blankets for a local organization that makes baskets for low income  new moms that include a receiving blanket.  Eventually, I hope to work them up to project Linus baby quilts.  I want to teach them to sew as well as the importance of giving to those less fortunate...and the joy of doing for others.  Cheryl

We gave our two 10-year old granddaughters Singer 301 machines for their birthdays.  They spent two days working on their quilts.  I did the cutting and ripping out when seams did not meet my approval, but they did the sewing and most of the ironing. 

post-2307-0-93015600-1420348829_thumb.jpg

Love to see the up-coming quilters. My grand daughter made a skirt for her 18" doll after Christmas, and promptly told her Dad, "Sewing really isn't that hard". Her Mom loves to design and sew, so I see a future quilter in her too. So much fun to be able to share our loves with them.

Chris

Bre wanted to sew again yesterday morning before they left to drive home.  I let her join some of my strips for the other snowman quilt I am trying to finish.  She kept telling everybody that walked through the room that she was working on one of grandma's real quilts so it was important to do a good job.  It was so cute.

Nevaeh, who is 10, did a little sewing while she was here, also.    She is big into fashion design right now.  I hope to see her on that Threads show in a couple of years.  She did about 5 Barbie outfits. I took her to Joann because part of her Christmas present was money to buy fabric, lace, etc.  McCalls patterns were on sale, so she found a purse pattern she liked.  They had some My Little Pony fabric, so she bought some of that and some rainbow striped ribbon to go with it.  This time I made her read the back of the pattern envelope to see how much yardage and notions she needed. I made her lay out her fabric by finding the selvedge and straight of grain.  We had to square it up a little bit because it was sort of wonky fabric.  Then she had to lay out her pattern, cut, and mark it all by herself.  She did most of the sewing herself, but I had to help her when it came time to assemble the purse, lining, and flap.  Even I have a hard time figuring that out sometimes.  She made a cute little purse with ribbon trim, a bow on the front, and a ribbon strap.  I didn't get a picture of her with it because she is going through that stage of not wanting her picture taken

We got my little 7 year old Granddaughter a sewing machine for Christmas too! She made a pillowcase and a little bag. She will need help for a while, but she does really well. She loves sewing and all things crafty! This picture is her sewing on my machine. I am looking forward to spending quilting time with her!

16201064161_29e7603f78_t.jpg

image by huckleberryjo, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

Archived