The Quilt Show

I have not read too many posts on "The Quilt Show". Just wondering if or how you all liked it. I notice that the 2nd episode is available. What do you all think??

The reason I ask is I am not a gold star member, just did the freebe thing, just wondering if you all think it is worth my while to go ahead and join.

I 'm a gold star member and have watched both shows.

If you are hopping for an exact copy of Simply Quilts than you will be disapointed. They have guests on the shows so far that you may not normally see on other quilting shows but they are very interesting and even though you don't get the detailed step by step how to's like other quilt shows you do get to see their quilts and they do show some simple techniques of how they do what they do. It appears that they are also adding music to each episode since that is what Ricky Tims also does. Like I said not the typical quilt show where they teach you how to construct a quilt. You will get quilt type tips though which I like and maybe even some scenes of when they go on little field trips to quilt related places.

I am looking forward to seeing how this show will evolve over time. It is a much more relax setting and you can tell that they are all having fun doing the shows. Think of it like a music/quilting themed talk show. :)

Cheryl if you are reading this please pass on that I would like to see some segaments that cover longarming maybe with guest like nicole webb, myrna, sherry...oh & maybe something with the CQ team, circle lord...maybe a couple of shows per year focused on just this area. It would be fun to hear the stories of how they became what they are today.

Personaly I like it. I feel if you want to learn the basics of quilt making and traditional techniques than take a class at your local quilt shop. But the quilt show has a chance to give a veiw of the quilting world that many normally do not see.

I also like that you can veiw it on your time vs being slave to a tv network schedule.

Joann

Thank you Joann. I tried to watch the first show and got tired of the "talk show" feel and turned it off and went back to quilting. I really like the guest they had on - don't know his name but have seen him on SQ and thought he had a good personality, and he was a great hand quilter. I thought maybe it would be more than just a talk show after that first one.

Mary Beth, I'm not positive how the Quilt Show will evolve in the future, but from what I've read from messages posted from Ricky & Alex, they want this show to be what the quilters want to see. They have complete control of what goes on the show, and they really rely on the quilters (members) to watch this show and continue to be members. I've heard them say several times: "This is Your Show and Tell Us What you Want to See" I think they want to cater to the audience and are taking feedback and suggestions. Perhaps if more members requested that the Quilt Show provide teaching techniques similar to what SQ did, and to get away from the "talk show" format, I think Ricky & Alex would seriously consider and try to accommodate it. The only way they can be successful in this venture is if they have an audience that is interested in watching and continuing membership. I'm sure that as business owners, they want to retain their member base and have the freedom to make choices on programming content based on what the members want to see. So, speak up! I see a lot of potential and this is just the very beginning of this program. Who knows what the future may hold, but I think it is cool to use the Internet like this to reach out to the audience. :)

I like the concept of what they are trying to do. And to be able to watch this show when I want to is very appealing. Thanks Shana, I will think about what I want from their show and make a suggestion. I had hoped when I posted this message that no one would think I was trying to stir up trouble. I love Alex Anderson....I am just sick about SQ, but life does go on..and I am willing to see more inovative programing than what we had with SQ. Just wondering how everyone else liked it. I can't watch the 2nd episode cause I'm a cheap skate....just wondering.

Joann,

I signed up for the Gold Star before the price went up but have not had time to view anything yet. I am looking forward to some "me time" soon.

I attended the first Ricky Tims Super Seminar (Escondido, Ca) and it was great. Ricky asked for a show of hands on how many longarmers were in the audience of 475 people. I was surprised to see a about 20 hands go up. He acknowledged that LA has a place in the quilting world but he didn't say much more than that.

I'm a realist. One of the sponsors of the The Quilt Show (and the Ricky Tims seminars) is Bernina. The Bernina folks came out with a stitch regulator recently (invented by a man in our little town). Ricky is a musician, a quilter and a businessman. I don't think that Ricky Tims will bite the hand that feeds them. ;)

They need a paid mode without ads, and a free mode with ads. I'm a paid member for now, but don't plan to renew unless they get rid of the commercials or put them at the end of the shows. The idea of paying this much money to watch Bernina commercials is too much. This is only one program, not even a network of quilting programs. Compare this to cable or satellite service for some perspective. Even premium HBO is only $12/mo or $36/3 mo., and no commercials and lots and lots of different programs.

What do you get with the non-paid mode? Bernina won't let you watch their commercials? I'm not anti-Bernina (I have two). I just have a severe case of ad fatigue. If The Quilt Show depends on our subscription money to make it, then Bernina isn't paying enough.

Could it be that HGTV dumped SQ because of Alex's high-profile affiliation with Bernina, which could be seen as a conflict of interest.

I finally had time tonight to watch both segments and I really liked it! I don't have a longarm, and I don't do peicing. I've always handquilted, it was just a hobby, but I was never without a quilt for my hoop. Now that I can no longer do that I'm a little lost, so I'm working towards getting a longarm. Even though I don't peice I still need to know how to do it, all the little secrets, etc., for the benefit of my future customers and helping them get me what I need to do a good job on their quilts.

I signed up as a gold star member as soon as it became available and plan on watching every episode. I really like the fact that I can watch when I'm good and ready to, It's like having recorded it! There are 2 commercials, no biggy to me, sponsers are how they pay for the entire thing, if I don't want to watch it I can do like any other commercial, go to the bathroom, refill my tea, is that really such a big deal? Ricky is closing each show with a little music, any guest that is musically inclined is joining him. I like that, it's very pleasant. Both guests so far had something to teach, were interesting to watch and listen to, and I learned something new both times. I like a little chit chat and learning something about the quilters themselves, how they got started, and their quilting journey. It's encouraging to me. Bernina was a sponser on SQ - they were paying for the show that's how it all works, I think if HGTV had issues with a sponser they wouldn't take their money, they would find another sponser and as popular as SQ was I'm postive there were plenty standing in line. They would not have cancelled the show over a sponser, they would have replaced THEM, not the show. Simply Quilts is gone. We knew it was coming. It is over with, so we need to get over it and move along. I like The Quilt Show so far, I'm sure it will grow and change a little as it does. I plan on renewing. If you don't like it, either email them with suggestions and make a contribution to improving things or just don't watch it. As far as paying for it, isn't there a thread on here about giving you work away for free and being responsible for making someone's hobby affordable?

Sorry if this is a little intense!

APQS and Superior Threads are both sponsors for the site as well. They get nods from both Ricky and Alex throughout the shows.

I have really enjoyed watching the show on my computer. It is so neat to be able to have something accomadate my schedule instead of the other way around.;) The information that i received as a new quilter is really helpful and it always fun to get to "know" new people. Which is essentially what is happening with the talk part.

I know change is something that takes some of us time to absorb but we need to give the show a chance and allow it to evolve. I understand that alot of time is invested in reading the Viewers opinions and I think they really do want us to have what we want as quilters on the show. Keep an open mind. So far so good if you ask me. Different yes, but refreshing. This is not the SIMPLY Quilts SHOW. It is a whole new way. I am sure over the first year there will be alot of new guests many we haven't even heard of. I love seeing new ideas and approaches to quilting. There are so many approaches to quilting other than traditional. I am intriqued by the artists that go way out there to try new things. I am sure there will be lots of traditional shows with some of our most favorite quilters who have the old fashioned touch that we have all grown accustomed to learning from.

It will become the show that viewers want over time I believe. I personally really enjoy the relaxing personal touch it has.

It is really different to watch on the internet I must admit. The commercial can get tiring but hey that's a chance to get a drink or you know what if you ask me. lol

I don't have cable options or satelite installed so I am happy to be able to watch on the internet. Sometimes with satelite internet is doesn't come in well but I catch it at a friends or something if I want.

I would encourage you to write and share with them what you would like to see more of and less of. I think they care.

For those of you that don't like the comercials you can fast forward through them, just use the remote that is shown at the bottom of the veiwing screen.

The Quilt Shows website is very interactive...don't be afraid to click on the different buttons.

Also whether you like it or not changes are happening to the quilting world, it has been evolving for centuries now. Think about how quilters must have felt back when the rotary cutters were first introduced, or when hand piecing was being phased out by machine piecing. They too probably were skeptical about the change but look how that all turned out.

It was going to be just a matter of time before the quilting shows went to the internet (first Quilter's News Network and now the Quilt Show). Think of the possibilities, with techknowlogy today you can down load just about anything from the internet to your blackberrys and now even to some cell phones, i-pods etc...and view them any time, any where at the viewers convience. I am all for this and so is the next generation of quilters.

For those of you that do not like the changes and are not willing to adapt to the changes in the quilting world than you will be missing out on so many wonderful new experiences and really limiting your own potential to evolve as a quilter.

As for the expense for the Gold Star membership I only spent $16.95 for a years membership in the introductory offer. This is about the same price for a magazine subscription (which there is no guarentees that you will enjoy all of the issues). Putting on a cable or even a internet based show can get to be expensive...it takes a lot of people to get a show up and running, not to mention trying to get the guest to take time out of their busy schedules to come on the shows. The money has to come from somewhere.

I am anxiously awaiting the quilt show in SLC UT, and you can get a preview of my embroidered quilt that I'm entering at webshots web page listed below: I'll be looking at all your posts on webshots or anyplace else that you post.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/557731087tDBuDV?track_pagetag=/page/photo/goodtimes/friendsfun&track_action=/Owner/ViewActions/FullAlbum

Enjoy quilting and hugs to every quilter

Linden of Roy UT

Joann, about the new trends in quilting, I'm with you, I love all the technology and I want to learn more and more of the new methods, I don't even know what they are doing with some of the methods of whole cloth, traponpo looking stuff and thick bats double bats etc. I can't even find a place to find out anything about them so far either. If you have web sites of especially today's technology can you post them too.

Thanks Linden

Hey Everyone,

First I want to say that I love how this site allows everyone to voice their own opinion. We all can and do respectfully disagree sometimes.

Thanks Mary Beth for bringing up this topic. You do not come across as "starting trouble" at all!

Now, for those of you that saw the first episode you now know conclusively that Alex is my BEST friend. I am fiercely loyal but also REAL. I always keep it REAL with my best friend and if improvements need to be made I'm the first one to tell her. Believe me if she has a booger in her nose or body oder as a friend I will sarcastically tell her to, "blow your nose!". So do not ever feel like you can not share your true feelings here on this site about The Quilt Show. This is your place to say what ever you want.

When the idea of this show came up Alex was not frothing at the mouth with her hands cupped together waiting for the money to fall in. Quite the opposite. After working on Simply Quilts for 11 seasons she was very apprehensive. A real show with real production takes a lot of work and a lot of money. Not something she was eager to do. It was the response of the quilters that pushed her to take this on. Everywhere quilters where asking for SQ to come back or for another show.

Since the inception of SQ quilt shops, quilt teachers, publishers, sewing machine companies, LONGARMERS, etc. have been more popular and more profitable. Anything that promotes quilting is a great thing for all of us. If the quilters keep getting motivated to make tops us longarmers will stay busy quilting them. As with The Quilt Show many of us will benefit.

This show is new. Like any other endeavour that is new there is a learning curve. I don't care how knowledgeable you are. Alex and Ricky purposely only taped 6 shows the first time around to get a feel for it. Like Shana said the show is for you. When we tell them what we like they listen.

You have no idea the work they have put into this endeavour. Imagine what it would take from the website, advertising, production and all of the logistics. All this without the budget of a major television network! Alex and Ricky have put there heart and soul into this project. I know for Alex her reason for agreeing to it was for us quilters, period. She knew what it would take to pull it off and still agreed. They are in the red right now, have not made a dime.

Yes, Alex has a high profile in the quilting industry. She is not rich by any means and is not greedy or a money grubber. Not saying that this was implied. I want to make the point that Alex and Ricky are not doing this for their health. Also, a production of this magnitude does not come cheep. Additionally SQ was not "DUMPED" because of Alex. Like Kenna said, HGTV could find another sponsor other than Bernina.

I HATE commercials!! I record all of my shows just so I can fast forward through all of the commercials! They are a fact of life unfortunately. Even here in the Bay Area they now have Target commercials in all of the BART train tunnels. URGH! My SIRIUS satellite radio that I pay for has commercials! It seems every time I find something to watch on PBS they have a stupid membership drive! We can't get away from them. Alex was not able to gamble her family's savings to fund the show, neither was Ricky. I don't think I would either. That is why we have to pay for the subscription and sit through one commercial. I'll live. Like Grammie & Kenna said, this is when I will take my potty break or grab a diet coke.

The nice thing about the show is that there are chapters. You can skip what does not interest you. I don't find everything in the newspaper or any magazine always interesting. Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised and learn from those that I may not have thought I would like.

I know that Alex and Ricky love the interaction with all of The Quilt Show subscribers. They REALLY care what you think and love CONSTRUCTIVE input. It really is our site. They would not be successful if it weren't for us being happy with the content and they get that. It is hard for them to not be able to please all of the people all of the time. I think that is the hardest thing to learn for a lot of us.

Guests are purposefully different. Just like any show on any channel I've ever seen. We'll like some, love some and sometimes they'll just plain be bad. You can't always tell how someone will present themselves in front of a camera.

Music- we all have our tastes and I'll tell you my first choice is not classical or corny. Having said that I can forward to the next chapter or give it a chance and see if it grows on me. Yesterday, Tim McGraw was on Ellen. I don't really like his music. I continued to watch and really enjoyed his muscles! The day before Leah Remeny was a guest and I thoroughly enjoyed! Not every show is going to have music. I think they just want to share what talents they and their guests have. It is a show about the quilters lifestyle as well as a quilting technique show.

Simple Quilts was only 23 minutes of content! The Quilt Show is around 45 minutes. The longer format allows for many topics and presentations of them.

Chit chat- most of the subscribers have really enjoyed getting to know Ricky and Alex better. Through their blogs and the show quilters are able to see another side of them. They have received so much positive feedback it has evolved to incorporate the wants of the majority. Not every show will be filled this way.

The good news is that we have a choice of quilting education. If The Quilt Show is not for you you don't have to watch it. Raining on the parade of those that are trying to offer something positive is not helpful. Constructive ideas are. I know that the show will evolve like anything. More content, better close ups and more detailed instruction will happen.

Joann- I have, do and WILL pass on that Longarm segments are wanted and needed by us! I have a suggestion; start thinking of your ideas and email The Quilt Show. Tell them your desires for Longarm content. Post on their forum as well. Unlike HGTV, The Quilt Show will listen. There is a segment coming up of a very talented Longarmer that you all know so keep an eye out!

I was really pleasantly surprised by the show. I am a gold star member and don't feel that the charge is too high. I think of it like a magazine, I guess. I was delighted to see Alex say something besides the same old worn out lines she said constantly on SQ. It seemed to me that she always asked the exact same things to every guest.

I wasn't crazy about the music and fast-forwarded through it. I liked that I was able to do that -- also the commercials.

Not sure about Ricky. Time will tell.

Hugs, Joy

Thank you Cheryl for being open and honest. I know putting a show together like that must take a lot of effort and time. I have worked with some very large productions at a mega church I worked at. The shows were 2 weekends in a row, 7 shows total, and it took 4 or 5 months to prepare. I cannot imagine what Alex and Ricky have to do to prepare. Not to speak of the time away from home.

I brought this up becuase I just wanted to know if I was missing out by not being a gold star member. I think, after reading what everyone is posting....I am still undecided. I will probably hold off until all the kinks are worked out and they are getting rave reviews.

THANK YOU Cheryl! I didn't feel as though I was informed enough to speak as you did. I love the show. Meeting the people involved and finding out that they are real people and not on some untouchable pedastel was a nice change of pace. and really cool too! I love the energy that was at the taping and I feel as though that energy was put through in the full production of the show.

I know that the money I spent for my subscription to The Quilt Show was money well spent. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Take Care to All

Thanks for your input, Cheryl. I watched the first episode of The Quilt Show the other day - have not yet had a chance to watch the second. I really did enjoy the show. The format as a "talk show" was a little unexpected, but I honestly did not think I would be watching a clone of SQ, and just as happy not to. I loved SQ like most quilters did, but the world moves on. and how exciting that can be!! Thank you Alex and Ricky for taking this step and offering us a great opportunity.

Speaking as a quilter who has been a quilter for 30 years (!!), I can honestly say I have learned from every teacher and quilter with whom I have come into contact. Some classes have been better for me than others, but I have still learned something I did not know when I went into the class. As far as my fellow quilters are concerned - I have learned from them, too - and hope I have been able to teach something as well. I have not been fortunate enough to take a class from Alex, but I have from Ricky, and he is a great guy - probably one of the most sharing teachers I have met. In an industry that is blessed with great teachers, he is one of the best.

I, too, sense there is some resistance to the technological changes taking place in quilting - but I hope all quilters will continue to evolve along with the art/craft of quilting. As machine quilters, we have already moved well along the way from hand piecing and hand quilting everything. Quilters - IT'S ALL GOOD!!

As for me - I am going out to buy an I-Pod (lots of gigs!)

Joann

Independence, MO:)

...stepping on to the soapbox...

I agree with most of what everyone is saying here. I for one like the new show and the enthusiasm that Alex and Ricky have as hosts. I also enjoy the guests that they have had on. Being a musician, I enjoy the use of music too. Since I am a very beginning longarmer I kind of look at this new programming like I do at my quilting. It starts out with a simple meander all over and with time, experience, hope and vision I know something more will will come of it. So it will be with this program.

I laid down my money when they first started advertising months ago because I thought it important to support quilts, quilters and the universal love we all share for our 'real' work...it will be awesome to watch the Quilt Show grow and develop.

I've got my seats reserved for the Aug. taping...Anyone else going to be there?

If Ricky needs a backup drummer, I'll bring my congas and percussion.. ;o) (lol)

..Ohhhh my knees are getting sore, so I'm stepping down..

Pat K and the Wing

Gold Star, that I am. The second show was more interesting with Vikki Pignatelli in that the demonstration portion was helpful and the quilts were very inspiring. The talk show format is different and I'm waiting for a group of shows before I decide on it's helpfulness.

Hate the draperies because I find them a dominant distracting background to a guest's headshot. I don't see a need for an audience because there doesn't seem to be a way that they are pertinent to the entertainment value of the show. Now if some of these audience members brought quilts for a show and tell segment, and were juried ahead of time so that five lucky people got to show their things, then the audience would be an integral part of the show. Show and Tell at any quilt gathering is usually very interesting. I'd also put the audience behind a short wall of quilt patterns or something so that a scan of them would be more interesting (no laps and legs in the shots). So far, the audience isn't very stylish looking and half in and half out of shadow.

The dark look of the set is unsettling. Maybe you intend for this to be a candle lit affair.

The sofas look large and oppressive in maroon with big arms. Oprah uses light yellow chair and sofa segments for a cheerful reason. Couldn't you use smaller wooden woven chairs like you'd find on a porch? Then cover the seats in a Navajo blanket or a quilted seat? That way you could seat the guests and hosts closer together.

The demo table should have better camera angles for good close up shots. Ricky did a great job with Vikki on that segment. He was calm and interested. The prompts were good.

Don't understand what the significance of the bright color folders on the coffee table are meant to do. Currently they are a distraction. I'd put a stand for the guest's current book so that periodically we could see what the cover looks like. Promoting books would be helpful to us folks that buy them and are able to go further with the information than the limited time on the show.

I'd like to see more traveling segments like the one to Quilters Newletter Magazine in Golden, CO.

Since this is a world of quilting oriented show, then there should be segments from around the world showing viewers the influence of quilting in many countries. There were so many quilters from Australia at the Houston show. Heard women speaking other languages at Houston, saw the quilts from France, Korea, Japan, Canada and wondered what quilting was like in these countries.

How to photograph a quilt is a topic I'd like to see. I've been researching it on the web, but a show on it would be a great help.

New product segments would be helpful. It seems there are so many quilting products on the market and I don't know how best to use them. I love it when something I already have becomes more valuable, or a problem is solved by obtaining this item. For instance, the 007 powder granules for bonding things was really valuable for affixing labels to the back of my last two quilts. You had a section on the show about Synthropol (sp?) and that was handy, also the thread either stack woven or cross woven onto spools with take ups in either horizontal or vertical. Good information.

Can't wait to see the segment on Barbara Olson since she was my teacher at Quilt Camp in the Pines in Flagstaff last July. She was such an inspiration and opened my world to creating my own designs. These teacher and artist profiles are so valuable. With all the teachers and famous quilters there are in the world community, I should think you have material for a great many shows.

It was watching Karen McTavish and Noriko Endo on SQ that got me interested in buying an APQS longarm because I saw the advantage of being able to walk my quilts through the entire process myself and use my signature of creativity. I really think that the number of owners of longarm machines is going to increase dramatically over the next decade. There will be a lot of baby boomers like me that are retired and searching for creative outlets for their time. So keep in mind that there are longarm users that don't have a business of doing other people's quilts. They want to be creative with their own. And their mother's. ;)

I'd keep the music at the end of the program so that people can take the option of viewing it. From 23 minutes to 52 minutes of viewing is a big jump to captivate and hold an audience.

I think you should have programs on the use and options of equipment and advertisers' products as separate and longer segments that are optional viewing instead of imbedding them into the show. These could be ten minute instructional programs where the vendors have time to really pull out all the stops and show off their products. Then those people who are looking to become more familiar with these products or machines could actually see something valuable and learn information. Include how to load a quilt onto a longarm machine.

Likewise, each of your shows need not always be in the form of The Quilt Show. Some segments could be on machine maintenance, how-to instruction, beginning quilt exercises, artist profiles, national quilt show recaps of winners, and a variety of topics of interest. Then your data base of viewer watchable possibilities becomes more succint and directed at a specific topic, like looking through a library of topics. This is another way to bring revenue into the program. Also you could profile books with a short video of the book's content and then an option to buy it at Amazon prices or direct from the artist at pre-published distribution.

Magazines online is another way to bring viewers to your site. Imagine being able to read a magazine on your web site and even have portions of it in streaming video animation, focusing on a portion of A-list material. Publishers could sponsor these sites and a minimal viewing charge could be assessed. People buy songs online so why not magazine A-list material. Please don't make it so that people have to link to other web sites. This is time consuming and the orientation of each site is dramatically different from one to the other. Keep it in-house so that we can search from one to the next quickly.

Develop an award wall of Gold Star Members. Publish their triumphs by listing their names, ribbons, and connections to posted quilts. Members-only honors which will encourage more people to join.

There are more ideas out there. Hopefully, those on the chat will offer some. Good luck. Your beginning to The Quilt Show is great, despite some bumps, and I can hardly wait to see how it grows. Thank you Alex for teaching me to quilt on SQ. Thank you Ricky for your great Razzle Dazzle thread which I used to couch on my quilt and won a ribbon. Thank you Cheryl for keeping the lines of communication open and giving us APQS folks the inside track.

Vicki

Wow...Vicki...did you post all of those suggestions to the "Quilt Show" web site? I see they have a place for that and I am sure they would like to read some of these suggestions.

I think I will join as a Gold Star, it sound like all the things that need to be "fixed" are technical.

This has been good, glad I decided to say something and not keep my trap shut for once :cool:

OMG, Vicki, were you a producer in a previous life?

And will you be my agent. Pleeeeeeeze. :P

I agree with your comments and ideas. As much as I hate advertising on the web, if I saw the book cover, DVD, etc of a guest on that coffee table, instead of those dumb folders, at least I would know what to look for in the store. And I just might click on an Amazon link from TQS to get to the book, tool or item discussed during the show. Nice perk for the viewer and revenue for the show.

I know that they are still getting the kinks out and I will hang in there. It is a pain adjusting the volume on my PC depending on which way the guest is pointed. I too, do not care for the drapes or the fake plants. I want to focus on the host/ess and guests not the background.

I think a live audience provides immediate critique feedback to the cast and crew. Ricky/Alex and their guests stimulate us with ideas and inspiration while the live audience tells Ricky and Alex how their show is going over with like-minded people on the internet.

I am never going to Colorado for a show. The PC is good for me. I do think that it is very cool that Cheryl tips us off about tickets to the show, though. :cool: Makes us all feel like insiders. :P

Archived