Need advice on how to quilt something new to me

I have been asked to quilt a top with one large cross in the center. The quilting radiates out from the center of the cross. Have any of you done one of those? If so, how did you do it.

I have a Millie but want to make sure that the rays are wonky coming from the center to the edge.

This is a picture I found on Google - not the one I've got here to do.

5594de29b86249409612a7c2cca51238.jpg

This quilt needs to break up the obvious diagonal.  I would quilt a double arch half way between the cross bars forming a circle around the center of the outer portion of the cross.  From the outside of the circle arc you could do some radiating lines but vary the width.  In the center of the cross I would outline the darker outside edge and then do a denser curvy inner fill to soften all the straight lines. 

Google stain glass crosses and those lines might help you.  Hope this helps.  Missy

I have done a couple of quilts like this.  I mark the quilt before I load it.  I mark regular intervals around the edge of the quilt (1-2" depending on how it looks on your quilt top), then draw lines from each of the outside marks to the center of the cross.  Of course the quilting will stop at the cross, but the lines would all come to the center.  I picked up a handy tool at a quilt show that worked beautifully for this - it's just like a carpenters chalk line but it had white iron-off chalk in it instead.  I pinned the end of the string to the center of the quilt and then popped the line at each interval to mark the quilting lines.  

Carol

1. Mark your quilt. 

2. leave needle down and slowely advance or reverse your quilt so you can continue stitching. 

It IS ALOT of back and forth, but you CAN do it.

The only other option, is to bury your threads and re-start again once you've reached that area of the quilt, whether it be forwards or backwards.

Thanks for the help, ladies. I've been putting this off because I'm so nervous about it but I've GOT to get it done so I've purposed to at least get it marked and loaded today. Cross your fingers!

I'll try to load a picture when it's finished.

I did a cross with quilting radiating out. I drew the lines, and used a ruler. I loaded the quilt sideways. The lines that were too long to quilt in one pass, I stopped and buried the threads verses advancing the quilt. (Unless I only had to advance it a short distance) I was pleased with how it turned out.

Deb.

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2016 at 11:27 AM, Tford said:

Thanks for the help, ladies. I've been putting this off because I'm so nervous about it but I've GOT to get it done so I've purposed to at least get it marked and loaded today. Cross your fingers!

I'll try to load a picture when it's finished.

Did you get this quilt done!?  Would love to see a pic if you did!!!

Archived