Batting Poke-Throughs

I seem to be having trouble with batting poking through the back. The customer provided the batting, which was Hobbs Heirloom Premium Cotton Batting (80% cotton, 20% polyester). I read in the forum that somebody suggested going to a smaller needle. I use the 1955-01-MR4.0 (110/18) needle. I only saw one other size needle to purchase on the APQS web site, and I believe that it's bigger. The backing fabric is cotton, but not very firm. Any other suggestions. Thank you.

Hi Kathy,

You can switch to a 3.5 needle (call APQS to order them), which can help. Make sure the needle you are using is new, and does not have a burr. A sure sign of a damaged needle (they can come that way right out of the package, so check to make sure) is bearding, or batting poking through, on every single stitch.

If you see the batting pokes only occasionally, then Beth is correct in that you might have the batting in "upside down." Put the rougher, bumpy side down.

Not that it's any consolation, but lately I've been having a bit of trouble with the Hobbs Heirloom for the same reason. It might just be the batting, and not you :D!

Dawn

I started using 3.5 needles awhile back. My batting pokie problems have gone away completely. I had a quilt awhile back with a lot of white background, black sashings and a black backing. We couldn't use black batting because of the white background. I used Hobbs 80/20 with a 3.5 needle and had no pokies whatsoever.

Debbi

I have found rubbing a little bit of sewer's aid (silicone) on the needle helps it glide through without catching, and using a 3.5 needle.

Hobbs 80/20 with certain fabrics can produce the batting pokes for me too. On one pieced back, only one of four different fabrics got the pokies, and they were all quilt shop fabrics.

I have used Hobbs 80/20 since I started quilting and my first roll was excellent and I never had an issue; the second roll I think is thinner and rougher. I understand there may always be some variance due to cotton available. I've also noticed several little black flecks in the batting. I'm about out of this roll and hopefully it will get me through until MQS and then I'm going to do some research at the vendor booths.

ONLY 13 MORE DAYS UNTIL MQS!!! Been looking forward to this since January - it's been a long winter! Hope to meet some CHAT ROOM folks there.

Sharon.

Hi.

I read here that you can use a silicone product on the thread cones and now here, on the needle itself. Can the experts tell us if the Sewer's Aid silicone product is safe for long-tern use? Will it gum-up or harm the bobbin area?

Oh, I gave up on Hobbs 80/20 batting a few years ago...nothing but wrinkles, seeds, grit and trouble!

Thanks!

Lisa

Liberty

NW New Jersey

Lisa,

I also have a product by Sullivan's in a spray can which is a 100% silicone spray for for sewing.

It states it protects and preserves equipment. It says to use on machine carriages, scissors, cutting table. prevents fabrics from sticking to your presser foot.

I am not big on spraying anything extra around my machine, but, a dab of sewers aid in the bobbin case hole, has helped thread like bottom line flow nice and smooth (you know how it is kind of rough and can get caught up).

The little bottle of sewers aid is at joanns.

I think this is one of those areas where there will be yays and nays.:)

I sprayed the Sullivan's directly on a light fabric. When it dried it was completly gone no stain or evidence it had been sprayed, so I found their no staining of fabric claim was true.

Archived