Quilting help please

This is the quilt that I was trying to decide if I wanted to get the Glitter Hologram Thread for. Its a 56" x 43" wallhanging, and she wants it to have motion...the primary color spots are swallows....OKAY I'm seeing kites not birds, but I guess the ending results would be the same.

The colored triangles need to be trapuntoed, no problem there. But I just am not totally sure how to accomplish the end task....HELP please.

If you have the abilities to draw on the photo please do and send it to me at drycreekqlts@msn.com your help would be gratefully appreciated.

I honestly don't do enough art quilts to be comfortable without some help. Thanks.

Hi Bonnie, I cant suggest anything for that Quilt, I am stumped. I just finished a "Flying Geese" quilt with Batiks and I gave it "motion" by using the steam panto and putting the quilt on sideways and making sure the "steam" puffs go where the nose is. It looks nice, simple but nice and it sure moves.

post--13461898151827_thumb.jpg

Hi Bonnie, Please visit Pam Clarke's site, www.homestitches.com. She has a wonderful book, Triangle Tango. It gives you lots of ideas for the dreaded triangle. I took a class from Sally Terry and she used Glitter. Just keep it flat and slow down. Her site is www.sallyterry.com. It was very pretty.

I can't post pictures so I'll try to describe what I can see. It would be totally freehanded, but quick...well maybe not so quick with metallic....you could also only do part of it in metallic and the rest in the variegated king tut black/grey/white thread.

If this sounds hokie, call me and I'll try to explain over the phone.

Use the metallic thread as very gentle swirls or even a wavy line with a few very gentle swirls that come from the front of the swallow to the back where the swirls become more dramatic...think of a jet breaking the air in front and the wind curling in the back. Since most of the swallow are flying to the upper right corner the air flow can orignate from there and spread outward. Of course, the swallow are not quilted just trapunto and outlined

Does that make sense?

By using the metallic mostly around the swallows you would be emphasing that portion of the quilt and guiding the eye through the quilt.

Just a thought...and you can freehand it.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Ps....804-556-6662...if you want to call

Bonnie,

This may not be possible, I'm not sure how small the triangles are... How about random concentric circles (do you have a hartley fence or circle lord?)in black & white varigated thread everywhere except the geese/swallows/kites. Then use the fancy colored thread and trapunto to make them really pop. Just a thought

Bonnie:

When I look at this quilt I see straight lines following the directions that the colors suggest. I'm not sure if that makes sense. The lines would be turning with the pattern, then stopping at the geese which could be done SID. Everyone else sees swirls and circles, so I guess I'm odd.

There are swirls where the swallows have disturbed the air with their lightening-quick darts. Have you ever watched them? They came up under the eaves of a wonderful hotel my DH and I once spent a weekend at before our DD was born (we think she may have been the result, LOL!). And they are so tiny with little tails on their wings, just like kites like you said, Bonnie. And they dart around like little darts, but so very gracefully. I love them! Or am I thinking of starlings? Anyway, they come back each year to San Juan Capistrano Mission too, or so the song says, LOL! If you want you could probably go and see them right now!

I think this quilt already has lots of motion in it, and just bringing out the swallows with trapunto or whatever and the neat thread you want to use, along with stitching the movement in the air around them, will be enough for the lady.

.... I wonder what those swallows have been eating to turn all those funny colors........ :P

I see a maze in that pattern.

Picking up Sherry's idea of swirls I would do some of the feathers in a swirl.

They can be done flowing no real start or end. The thread you have in mind would enhace it in a great way.

I try to print your pic and draw and resend it.

At least I will send you the feathers (easy to do.... :) )

Thanks for showing this pic. It made me to think what I would do.

Best wishes from Switzerland

Thank you all that have tried to help me here.....I have just gotten off the phone with the customer and she is adamant about NO PANTO'S.... Okay got that message loud and clear.

Didn't help me though :P

I don't have the Circle Lord yet...darn, but I think I can pretty much freehand swirls as long as we aren't looking for perfect and each one the same....there was a mention of feather swirls....please explain, don't think I've seen those before. And I also had the thought of wavy lines streaming off the birds....

Thank you all for your help in this....Its at least got my head moving in the right direction.

Now Patty, ya asked what food these critters were eating.....ya know sometimes its best not to know what's in your food. If we did we would all become totally vegan or starve to death. I was pretty much raised organic on the ranch and even then it was a wonder at times.

Hi Bonnie!

Me being a non-seasoned longarmer, but at the same time I've seen the beautiful work you've done before (I've checked your webshots many times), you are a very talented and experienced quilter and I know you will do a terrific job on this project. All of the suggestions you've received are terrific! Let everything sink in for a little bit and I know this quilt will speak to you before, during and after the quilting process. I am so sure it will turn out beautifully, just like those gorgeous flowers that grow and surround your home in Elizaville. :)

In the triangles that represent the birds, you could quilt a feather motif inside each of the triangle -- a feather with a little feather inside each one that fans out from the point to the outer edges of the "V" to represent the feathers of a bird and then do the swirly designs behind each bird to represent the wind in flight.

I am thinking good thoughts for you. I know you will never disappoint your customer. Just do it, baby. You have what it takes. :) Do like me and say a little prayer before you hit the button to start quilting. I always say a prayer whenever I start a quilt, but usually (because I'm such a newbie longarmer) my prayers mainly start out with "Dear God, please let the tension be good, please don't make me have to practice my frog stitch, and please don't let me screw up this quilt....Amen." ;):P

((love ya))

Oh Shana...you're too much, I almost always chuckle when I read your reply/posts. I bought a bunch of stuff from Linda today too....this business is costly.

How are you doing with that quilt Bonnie? With all the advise/hints/tips and your expertise it will be a master piece. They'll be naming a thread after you ....

Happy quilting y'all

Ok, did not work to get them from My pictures out of my laptop.

I'll try with upload to webshots.

If it doesn't work, feel free to surf to my album. It is stored at Quilt Ideas.

==========

http://2753934790080711799S425x425Q85.jpg

==========

<a  href=2963527840080711799S425x425Q85.jpg' alt=

==========

stitchy whishes...

Thanks Monika,

but it isn't that artsi. Pictures are just not sharp enough ;)

Oh, yes I printed it, draw and scanned it.

It took longer to get this done than the actuall drawing.

But it is possible one you have a picture in a software program eg. Corel Draw, you can work with two layers.

One layer is the picture the other one can work like a film like an overhead sheet. To get the curves that nice you should work with a table like Wilcon and a stylo.

I have not gotten into that (yet) and my knowledge about that is very limited. (At the moment I just trying to learn something about website software which is content based)

CU

Best from Switzerland

Archived