I have the monster quilt loaded on the frame. I have two perfectly symmetrical butterfly halves drawn out on freezer paper, each half being 8 feet long and 4 feet wide. I can't figure out a good way to mark the butterfly onto the quilt. I tried marking it before I put the quilt on the frame, but the marks don't stay on. The fabrics in this quilt are turquoise blue, navy blue, and a busy blue print, with photos between.

I am in the process of basting the whole quilt with bright red thread, in order to eliminate the extra roller when I do the butterfly quilting. Do you think it will work to cut the freezer paper pattern apart and then tack it back onto the quilt in sections using the iron? Have any of you ever quilted through freezer paper? Does it come off, or am I going to spend days picking out paper remnants? I need to have this done by Friday. And I need it off my frame since I have another one to do. HELP!!!!!

Hello Teresa

Sounds like a great project. Here is what I did on a smaller version, i.e. 15x15" blocks. I transfered the design onto tear away stabilizer and pinned it on, then stitched on top of that . It worked well, I don't know how freezer paper would work, I had tried copy paper prior to the stabilizer and it just tore.

I am sure as soon as everyone else gets going with their day you'll get lots of tips.

take care

Hi Teresa,

I don't know how intricate the butterfly pattern is that you are trying to mark on the quilt but have you thought about using the red thread to mark a (continuous) outline of that butterfly? Maybe not red, since that is the basting thread color. But an icky green would be easy to see. Then quilt inside the green using it as a guide, roll, quilt, etc. When you are done, just pull the green and red basting thread out.

Just a thought.

I sure hope that you post a photo of this. It sounds very unique. And of course, I alwasy enjoy looking at your quilting. ;)

Thanks gals for the ideas.

Monika, I don't have any of that stabilizer, but I'll have to buy some for the next project. thanks for the great tip.

Linda, Maybe I can try that. The design is not that intricate, just a coloring book picture, but it's so HUGE.

The quilt takes up almost my whole frame. I HATE these great big ones.

I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Hi Teresa,

Miracle Chalk slivers or that chubby pencil would stay on better, but you may not have those handy.

You could mark the outline with narrow pieces of painter's tape cut from a wider roll. You could quilt next to it, not on it as you would never get it off!!

I think freezer paper would also be a problem to stitch through.

I have good performance from the General brand of chalk pencils. They stay on much longer and scrub off with a piece of poly batting.

Keep us posted on your progress. Can't wait to see the finished product!! To show the quilt, maybe you could lay paper over the photos so the kids are anonymous! Good luck!

Linda Rech

Has anyone tried Press 'n Seal wrap? I played around with this when I was hand quilting and it worked well. You draw or trace the design onto the Press & Seal and press it onto the quilt and hand quilt through it. It might work for the longarm. Just an idea....

Teresa,

You definitely have a big job ahead of you!

I'd avoid stitching through the freezer paper. The machine will stitch through just fine--it's the tearing off that is the trouble. You'll have difficulty not pulling the stitching at the same time.

Another way to make the freezer paper work would be to mount your quilt sideways (so that the 8-foot butterfly part was horizontal). Then split the butterfly freezer paper pattern along its length, adding reference marks to aid in re-alignment. Place the first section of the butterfly on the quilt and lightly press in place with an iron. Quilt just ouside[/] the freezer paper edge. Use a piece of chalk to transfer the reference marks from the first freezer paper pattern to the quilt, and remove the first paper pattern.

Now roll to the next section when ready, and place the second section in place, lining up the reference marks and the outer edges of the butterfly design as needed. Iron in place and stitch where necessary. Continue with additional sections.

In the photo below, the two pens represent your rollers and the space between them, and how the large freezer paper pattern might be split into workable lengths and then added when the area is in the quiltable space.

If you choose the press and seal method, be sure to test your marking tool first. The heat of the needle has been known to pick up and transfer ink or other marks to the quilt as the needle penetrates the plastic. Try using the blue wash out marker on it instead.

We will all be anxious to hear how it turns out!

Dawn

butterfly photo.doc

Dawn, Thanks for the detailed explanation. I did it sort of like that. I took the freezer paper (which was taped together anyway) apart and I did stitch through the freezer paper with lime green thread to create a pattern which I will then follow using the King Tut thread. I plan to make the butterfly very beautiful, but what should I do in the background? I tried dark blue thread, but it blends into the navy fabric, just barely shows on the flowered fabric, and stands out real dark on the turquoise. Any suggestions.

I'm attaching a picture that I smeared out the guys photos and I drew the butterfly (sort of) with paint. I'm not very good at that, but it gives you an idea.

post--13461898218224_thumb.jpg

Teresa,

I agree with Darlene about the red thread for basting. Avoid a dark color for basting. Believe me, I found out the hard way. I ruined a cross stitched piece that I had put hours and hours of stitching into.

I love Press n Seal, but not for quilting. I tried it and found it extremely difficult to get out of the stitches.

Phyllis

Dawn is right about ink transfer with the heat of the needle...it will happen...but it is a great way to transfer a design. The other problem with press 'n seal is that if there is a lot of over stitching it is very difficult to remove all the plastic. Tweezers help with this but it is time consuming.

Here is another idea that I have used. Trace your pattern with permanent marker on nylon netting. Then you can lay it out on your quilt top and mark over these lines with either water soluble marker or chalk pencil or whatever works best for you. And you can even mark only part of it at a time as you advance the quilt on the rollers.

Mary Burns

Buda, TX

I've used the "mark on tulle" technique that Mary suggests. When quilting on my DM I used it all the time and it worked like a charm! Just be sure that whatever you use to mark with comes out easily. Would the blue water soluble pen work? or is that what everyone is talking about that would heat set? I haven't had a problem with it yet, but I'm not the fastest LAer in the world.:D Don't think I have a problem with my needle heating!

Lynne in Ann Arbor

Archived