Quilts for my students

Awhile back I mentioned that I had two former students who died in a car accident 4 days after they graduated. I made quilts for their moms, and will give them tomorrow. I used the Carpenter's Wheel pattern.

(Please don't look too closely at my feathers - they are quite primitive.)

I'm hoping I can make this image appear!

Karol

Karol, those are very pretty quilts and I know how much they will bless the families. It was a wonderful thing for you to do. May the blessings come back on you and your family a hundred fold.

I happen to think your feathers look just fine, by the way.

Hi Karol.

Those are beautiful quilts, and I know the families will be very honored to get them. I love your quilting, too. Very nice! :)

PS: On the same topic, my guild just finished piecing the quilt top for the 18 year old girl who's sister and boyfriend died in a car collision with a moose. She was the driver of the vehicle and from what I understand...she is not taking this very well...still going through her down days and I am sure she will live with this tragedy forever. So sad. :(

I should receive that top in today's mail so I can begin quilting it. It is an irish chain with pieced hearts. I am going to try to SID around the chain blocks and do feathered hearts inside each of the open areas between the chains. I have a featherd heart stencil to use that is really pretty, so I hope it works! I am venturing into new territory here with my quilting, so wish me luck!!! If I don't goof it up too much, :P I will post a photo of it when finished (hopefully by this Friday night--my goal is to have it finished so I can bring it back to them on this Saturday) :):)

Here is a photo of the unfinished quilt. It's BIG! HELP!!

I would be grateful for any ideas or thoughts or suggestions you professionals here may have for me! :) Thanks!

post--13461898360196_thumb.jpg

A quilt cannot bring our loved ones back; that is true enough.

But a quilt can provide warmth and comfort to those who have suffered a loss. I think that the knowledge that others care about you and share your grief helps a bit. We can't carry the burden for the grief-stricken but our thoughts, prayers and actions can help to ease that pain.

You all are doing a good thing.

Karol,

Your gifts of love came out beautiful. I'd love to see a close-up of the quilting! I went to the site when you posted before about the Carpenters Star and I made one. I made a bigger border so mine is 65" square. I drafted the pattern in EQ5 and if anybody wants me to email you the file I'd be happy to share.

Heidi

Shana,

The quilt you are going to quilt is beautiful. I'm sure it will be so appreciated. I think your idea's for quilting it are wonderful.

I did a quilt for a friend whose sister-inlaw had cancer, stage 4. Her family was all over the US and England. She came to me asking if I could help her make a quilt. We decided on a loving hands & hearts theme. She had all the people who were praying for her trace their hands and write a message if they wanted. She imported the pictures and we then resized and printed them on fabric using all the same color for the hand. Then her 3 sisters, mom and I made crazy patch hearts to make a border. There was a center block with a message to her and I had to stop quilting many times before I got it done. We called it the love quilt. The quilt got done about a month before she lost her battle. Her husband cherishes this quilt and it was hung at the memorial service. I received a thank you card from one of the other sister-inlaws and she was so appreicative that I took the time to make something that gave her sister so much comfort and love. It is something I loved doing and am so much the better for doing it.

Even if you all don't hear anything back know that your caring does make a difference.

Heidi

Well done Shana. I think giving also helps the giver. My sister had stage 4 cancer and I have made her a quilt that I hope to take to El Paso this weekend. The cancer is getting smaller and the Dr are very hopeful. She is in the very early stages of treatment. Anyway, I think making something for her, really helped me.

Best wishes to all who are suffering.

Karol and Shanna, I know these families will understand that these quilts bring love, hugs and caring. It won't bring the loved ones back, but the knowledge is there that some one cares about their loss. It is so important. A wonderful thing to do. Blessings to you both.

Beverly

We recently had a house fire down the road from us. A young couple lost everything while they were at work. Somehow their computer caught fire. The girl was a classmate of my niece's and a dear friend of hers. All I could think of to help until they get a place of their own again was to make them a quilt. They are staying with her mom & dad and were very appreciative of the gift. I received the most beautiful thank you note from them.

Karol ,

Your quilts are beautiful and the message that you send with this gift is going to be a blessing to the families for a long time.

And Shanna,

Your willingness to quilt this for your guild is also a gift that will keep on giving for that young girl. So hard to have to live with that even though it wasn't her fault. This quilt will let her know that her community is supporting her.

This group of quilters always continues to amaze me. So many selfless acts of kindness going out to our communities, friends & family. It brings a tear to my eye. I'm proud to be a part of this quilting community.

Archived