Unfortunate Newbie

Unfortunate, because I do not have a longarm machine. It is out of my price league for now. I invested in a Little Gracie and Mid-arm Jamone machine. I was satisfied when I tried it out at the quilt shop, but then I had many problems trying to get it to do what I wanted when I got it home. To make a long story even longer.......I when to a few machine quilters expos's in the area and paid close attention to details of other machines and came home and made a few adjustments to my existing set up and got it to work the way I wanted it to. I probably don't even belong in the same league as you gals, but I enjoy reading your information, techniques and viewing your pics. I live in Massachusetts and I find there aren't as many quilters around here as there are in the central and western part of the country. I have been machine piecing and hand quilting for about 20 years. I really love the machine quilting on the frame and when I get going, I don't want to stop. I will post a few pics, so you can give me any helpful pointers.:D

Your quilts are wonderful! I especially love Anthony's quilt, and you have a Christmas quilt!!! I've been wanting one for so long and I still haven't made one! Maybe someday. Your quilting looks very nice, and people do amazing things with their DSMs. So don't despair. Keep on quilting and learning as much as you can whilc you save up for the longarm of your dreams.

Welcome!

And I love your Christmas around the world Quilt!

Im a christmas-a-holic. Just ask my hubby...LOL!

Nice job! Just save up...you'll have a long-arm in no time. Start out with a used one, work your way up. Alot of us started out small and worked our way up...just ask around!

Jeannine, I don't think the description "unfortunate newbie" is applicable to you. In fact, I think it is quite the opposite! :)

I checked out your quilts and your quilting and you are indeed fortunate and talented. Keep up the great work! I started with a Grace frame with my Bernina (not much quilting space to work with) and I used that for over 3 years; made lots of quilts; got lots of practice in using a machine frame/carriage system. Then, I finally saved up enough to get the longarm and having fun learning even more every day. This APQS chat message board is a great place to learn and I am grateful for it and all of the friendly professionals here who are so willing to help for the greater good of machine quilting.

Welcome! Please share more of your pretty stuff with us in the future!

Jeannine - I loved your quilts. I love the big block quilts. I've not done one, but I love yours. A good idea for a quick baby quilt. I liked your under the sea quilt. thanks for jumping in here and I agree with Shana, you are not a newby by any stretch. Your quilting is great. Glad to have you hear.

Thank you all for you comments and words of encourgement. I will continue with confidence that someday, I will own the "big one". At least I know I'm heading in the right direction.

Does anyone know anything about a technique that uses very subtle color painted on muslin in particular shapes(like flowers) and then quilted around it to outline. I've seen some quilts like this at shows. I'm a self taught learner, so I'm looking for a book on this technique or something similar.

Thanks again for making a newbie feel all warm and fuzzy.;)

PS I also have a love of teddy bears!

Welcome Jeannine--

I agree with everybody that you are in no way "unfortunate" and you won't be a "newbie" for long!

As for your question about a painting technique, Dian Keepers here in Washington has a line of cottages and Victorian ladies that are color washed (very subtle) and then stitched on top. Her web address is www.keepersquilting.com.

And then we have Irena Bluhm! Wow! She stitches first and then adds color with pencils and markers and then uses a textile medium to fix the colors. If you Google her I'm sure you will find her website.

Be sure to speak up to share info and photos and if you have a problem. Everyone here is ready to share and welcome you!

Linda Rech

Jeannine, I love the Mariners compass. The piecing is wonderful! Where in Ma. are you? I'm an avid quilter and live in Mansfield, south of Boston. I have a quilt group that meets 2 times a month, lots of fun and support. Occasionally we get together and plan out our own shop hops or take a class together. Good luck with the new machine. DB

You all are good for a persons' confidence. Since I have joined up this quilting forum, I have gained so much. I'm going to quilt show this weekend in Manchester NH. Hoping to gather more visual information to make my machine more like I would like until I can afford a Longarm. I live in Gardner, MA which is about 65 miles northwest of Boston. My most favorite quilt shop I have found so far is The Quilters Way in Concord, MA. I simply love the gals that work there...so friendly and informative, just like my new friends I am making here at the quilting forum. Again, many thanks.

Jeannine

Jeannine,

Your quilting is LOVELY and the fact that you are an self-taught artist will give you a great springboard into creative methods in machine-quilting.

At MQS, I took a number of classes from Irena Bluhm. She is wonderfully talented - has not been quilting for that long - and has created her own style in wholecloth quilting. If you EVER get to take a class from her you will be wonderfully inspired! Her techniques for coloring on quilts are unusual to say the very least, but her wholecloth quilts are GORGEOUS. And she is very generous to share her talents with others.

It seems to me (as a newbie) that there are so many talented quilters out there, that are more than willing to come alongside those of us who are just starting out! Such lovely ladies! We are fortunate.

Hawaii Barbara

Archived