Preferences on domestic machines?

Originally posted by landgtino

Ok, I guess I'm a wierdo....Cause I could take or leave my Bernina...Yikes! Its a A Quilters edition 150, about 3-4 yrs. old. I've never had a problem with it, does what I need it to do, its just WAY too loud!

Gael,

If your machine is loud enough that you need to turn up the TV....something is wrong with it. Bernina's are a bit louder than some, but none of the machines should be that loud. Have you had anyone look at it.....if not I would ask the dealer to so, there might be something that he can do for it. With all manufactures there are ones that just don't come off the assembly line at 100% or like they should, and this one may be one.

I'm a Bernina gal. My mom bought a new one over 30 years ago. When I could get my own, 12 years ago, I bought a 1090 S. It still works great! I just added to the collection the 730E. My youngest of 5, and ONLY daughter, LOVES my sewing machines. She calls them her "Bachines" and talks all the time about wanting her own. I figure when she's just a tad older, the 1090 will be a good one for her to learn on / have. She's really into quilting and talks about the fabric she likes and points in the magazines to all of the quilts she wants me to make for her. It will be a while before it's her turn. With 5 kids, I've had to start a list to keep track of who gets the next quilt :P

Natalie

I am reading these posts and I am getting depressed. Because just about every single one of you that have posted has more than 1 DSM.

I only have 1 :( It's a Bernina 180E I bought it used off of Ebay several years back (because that was the only way I was able to get an embroidery machine that I wanted for years). I do have 2 sergers though :) one singer and one Bernina.

Bev and I have a Singer form the early 60s which was our first maching. still works. We have two Vikings 6570s WORK HORSES from the 80s. We love them and use them extensivly for piecing. We also have BabyLock Ellageo and Ellegante with the myriad of fancy stitches and the embroidery modules. I am So Glad that we got the BabyLock machines! They work wonderful. We often use the "fancy" stitches and there is no end to the embroidery. Our grandchildren love the stuff we create for them. If I was to suggest another machine besides the ones I use and trust I would say Bernina.

At home I sew with a Janome 4800. I've had for a few years and love it. I'm wanting to get a Janome Jem platinum 760 for sewing away from home. Thanks Patti....want it even more now. My birthday is next week so looking to see if there is any cash tucked in them there birthday cards to go toward my newest baby ;)

Cheers

It depends on what I am making. For quick piecing I like my industrial singer straight stitch that does like a million stitches a minute.

I have used a lot of machines and I think the Bernina machines have the best stitch quality and ease of use if I have to quilt on it.

Janome machines have the greatest amount of features for the money with the fewest "personality" flaws.

Pfaff all the way! I now have two, a 2140 and an oldy bu goody, a 1475. Long story but I was dealing on a gently used (only 8 hrs embroidery and 45 min sewing) 2140 when my 1475 was in the sewing machine hospital with expected repairs costing over $1000. So they gave me $200 trade towards the old 1475 and I bought the newer 2140 and loved it. A month later I went back for something else and just happened to ask if they used 1475 for parts and they said that they just kinda gave it a cheap fixup job, so I bought it back for $200 and I am sooooo glad I did. The kids like to sew when I am sewing (Houston is 10 and is working on his third quilt) so I let them use the new one because it has a few features on it that they find easier to use and I don't care, I'll use the old one any day. Enough said about that!

After all the hoopla I have heard about Bernina I pursuaded my friend to buy one because I thought I was telling her to buy the "best" and then I got to sew with it for over two days, everything from zippers, putting in elastic, stretch material, cotton etc. After about 1/2 hour I was already wanting my old Pfaff back but I couldn't dare tell her after she had just spent $3000! I didn't like how it grabbed the fabric, always wanted to make a bird's nest first and then it would sew nice, hated how loud it was, didn't like the height of the arm (if you look at the new Pfaffs they have a slanted piece of plastid that just makes it soooo easy to organize your pieces and then just slide them up to the machine so no strain on your arms after working a long time because you aren't lifting the pieces up so high) which sounds silly but after even a few minutes you would notice the difference, and the ultimate pet peave about the Bernina is ease of bobbin insertion. My Pfaff is just like my Milli, you just throw the bobbin case in and away you go. No so with the Bernina, the bobbin case had to be put in "just so" or, you guessed it! Bird Nests!!! So, when I was looking for a new machine I went to the Pfaff dealer that I have dealt with for over 30 years and said, "tell me why I should buy Pfaff again".

Now, awhile back my sister was looking for a new machine and the place sold both Janome and Pfaff and she was just about pursuaded to buy Janome. So, I phoned my dealer and asked about the differences, she told me some and then gave me the best advise I have ever heard: she said to take lots of piecing and go and sew an hour on a Janome and an hour on the Pfaff. So guess what, she did exactly that and by far far far preferred the Pfaff over the Janome and so that is what she bought. My dealer donated some machines for use at a local quilting class and the Janome dealer donated the same number of machines for the quilting class use. My dealer said that at first everyone wants to try out the "beautiful new Janome" but by the second class everyone trys to be first so they can get to sew with the Pfaff so they requested that she provide more Pfaff machines; she decided not it because it wasn't fair that she provide more machines while the Janomes just sat there.

So there you go, long and drawn out, but that is my opinion after having been an avid sewer for over 35 years, we are talking wedding gowns, bridesmaid's dresses, hundreds of items of kid's clothing, hundreds of sweatshirts bunnyhugs, etc, hundreds of quilts. Nobody should buy my used Pfaff, they have way toooo many miles on them, but they just keep on working, even after I kill them. And, I honestly have tried other brands. Maybe the Bernina that I used the most wasn't a good model for me, but it sure didn't want make me want to try another one. I love the embroidery that my new Pfaff does, now if I could just find some time to use it, and now here I am writing this and I have some customer quilts to do and a construction crew to feed and house and kids to take care of and tons of canning (canning fish and lots of kinds of pickles) to do. Have to go.

Let us know what you buy and hopefully this will help you. Take some pieceing in and work on different machines, you soon will figure out which is the machine for you. Good luck!

Cher

Could anybody elaborate on the benefits of the Singer Featherweight? I have never heard one mention a hint of this machine! at my dear Bernina Dealer, that is.

Speak to the repairs of a 50+ year old machine? You all are so clever with repairing your own LA's; makes me wonder if you do your own repairs on the Featherweights. What do you think is the preferred Model No.?

Thanks. Judie

Pfaff, Pfaff, Pfaff!

I have two Pfaff machines. The 2144 and the quilt expression 2046. They both run beautifully and I especially love them because you don't need a walking foot. They have one built in! Their website is awesome too!

Ellen

Hi Bobbi. I have a Janome 11000 with the digitizer. I just love it and do all my quilt labels on it. With the digitizer I can really personalize the label. I also sew for my grandaughter and love to do embroidery on all the little dresses I make for her so my Janome comes in really handy. It is the third Janome I have had and have loved every one of them.

Lib

I own SEVERAL DSMs...my Grandmother's original electric Singer, a 1960's White, two PFAFFs, (including the 1222E...first DSM w/ built-in walking foot), and two Brothers (one came with my husband).These are my favorites:

PFAFF 7570 - my favorite features include IDT (pin-less sewing), needle up/down, built-in stitches, and my many, many specialty feet. The only thing that PHAFFY (Pretty, Hot and Pfaffy) doesn't do well is bobbin winding...my absolutely wonderful PFAFF rep suggests pre-wound bobbins.

BROTHER Pacesetter ULT2002D - WOW!!!!

I know that there are some sewing snobs who think that Brother isn't quality. Well, just like every other company, Brother makes many models (including low end, possibly troublesome, "orphans" sold at Walmart Stores).

My Brother Ult is very similar to a Baby Lock Esante. She sews beautiful stitches, has many built-in stitches, has needle up/down, a sweet thread cutter that I use all of the time, winds a bobbin beautifully (even my PFAFF 7570 bobbins...no more pre-wounds necessary), and has the slickest, built-in threader. Her touch screen even has an on-board manual with video instructions, if you like! As a close-out special, I paid less than half the price of the PFAFF I had considered...With all of the features I was looking for.

You stated that price is an issue, so I suggest only considering machines the have the features that are important to you. Don't pay extra for frills that you're pretty certain you won't use. Dealer hop in your area for some hands-on comparisons.

If you're struggling between a couple of brands...purchase from the most service oriented dealer who'll show you how to use those wonderful features and specialty feet! When (not if) you have a problem or question...there'll be help available.

;)

This is a fun topic. I never tho't of asking about DSM's when I was shopping for one. I looked at many and would have purchased a Pfaff except the sales clerk was so pushy and "hurry and buy", I finally got frustrated and walked out and went to a dealer handling Brothers. There I purchased a BROTHERS NX-400..I really like it, the automatic threading, and

auto thread cutter, and back stitch, Many decorative and alphabet programs. Love the needle up/down & knee lifter, and take the foot pedal off and it's about as easy to sew with the little button in front. Twin needle sewing and a GREAT blanket stitch, but sometimes I still wonder if

I would have liked the Pfaff better. I also inherited aSinger Featherweight,

Have an old treadle machine with the long bobbin, a Pfaff about 10 y/o

that belonged to my DH's 1st wife, and an old 25 y /o MONTGOMERY WARD

table model that still surprises me how good it does. And it's a winner for teaching grand daus to sew. Then there is the CONSEW binding machine and of course Millie Rose, the long arm. I keep everything clean and oiled up and they are ready to go at a moment's notice. I think that is the main

thing to keep machines functioning...they are finely tuned, but let some

lint congregate down in the innerds and let it run dry with no oiling and it

will wear. I had an old WHITE that finally my repair fellow said...

When are you going to retire this? It's so worn out that when I do adjust it, and then sew with it, it all slips back into place. I'd purchased it used

at an auction and used it many years.

There are alot of opinions, and alot of good machines, but I think it is just like your automobile...maintain and it'll go many miles and many years with you.

Archived