Preferences on domestic machines?

Tell me, I'm sure many have a preference for their domestic sewing machine.

Why did you choose that brand and model?

I have been sewing on a table top straight stitch machine for ever. Started on Mom's indestructable Singer, I know cause i really jacked it up a couple of times and it always came back. I had my own "cheap" Singer, a White and now a Kenmore. The kenmore was around $300.00 but on sale.

The White and Kenmore are both having issues even after being in the shop twice and I am looking for a new machine for piecing, border attaching, non quilt related sewing ( I know, I can't believe I said that).

Is there a place to compare features side by side?

Any must haves or brand/model to begin looking at? The price is not important yet, after I know what I want I'll see if I can swing it so if it's less than 1,000 I'll look into it.

Thanks for any info or suggestions you can offer.

Bobbi

Well, you will get as many preferences as people who reply......at least it will be a selection to choose from! :D

I have a Pfaff 2056 which I absolutely love. I love it's many features including dual feed, needle up/down, a nice variety of specialty stitches and it's easy operation.

I also have a Janome Decor which I use for classes and travel.

Good luck with your search for the perfect machine!

Hi,

I'm a Janome girl. That said, there are other really wonderful machines out there as well.

Laurie brings up a good point, it's not so much the machine as the features that you need. My primary machine is a 10000, so embroidery, all the fancy stitches, doesn't wash dishes though. Best of all is the needle up/down feature where it will automatically end with it either up or down. I couldn't live without my knee lifter either. I push my right knee to the side and the presser foot raises up. Being past 40, the auto needle threader should be required on all machines. I actually like the one on my baby machine better, it's manual, and seems to work better and faster.

Weight? Will this machine stay home, or go back and forth to classes? That's why I bought my second one, and so that I could still sew when mine needed major cleaning.

What kind of service is in your area? We had a wonderful Janome dealer about 30 min. from me, but they were sadly bought out by another group. Service is downhill, prices up.

Hope that helps.

Beth

I have 4 machines...here is the preference order:

Bernina 440QE (without the embroidery option)

Babylock Esante (the old style, but with the embroidery module)

Brother 1500S (I use it on a New Joy frmae most of the time)

White (it's about 11 or 12 years old, but is a work horse)

Overall, my favorite is the Bernina, by far!

Sandy

:) Can I say Bernina, Bernina, Bernina!!!

I have a 630E and an older 1090. The stitch quality is superb and they are both workhorses. Most people I know love their Bernina's.

The best advice I can tell you is to also look at the dealer you are purchasing from. Do they provide service and support? What kind of classes do you get with the machine? This is very important as you will very likely end up dealing with them to service the machine.

Bernina also has a price point starting from $699. There is a model to match every pocketbook and they have the same great bobbin system in all the levels. I personally could not live without the needle down function or the free hand system!!!;)

I have a Brother PQ1500. Actually I have two of them, in two different areas of my house, I like it so much! It only does straight stitch, as that is all I want or need, but it sews really fast and really well. I can't imagine sewing strips with a normal-speed machine now. But if you want to do anything more than straight stitch, this is not the machine for you!

I have to say, after reading Lynn's post. All I need in a machine is straight stitch. I purchased my machine back in the days when I was making clothing for granddaughters and thought those decrative stitches would be fun to put on their clothes. I never use them....I long for a fast sewing, straight stitch machine.

I have owned various machines and my favorite by far is the Bernina. I just sold my the top of the line Janome. It sewed great but compared to the Bernina it didn't have that stitch quaility. I have a white for the camper, treadle singer, antique domestic, I love sewing machines but I choose the bernina overall.

I just recently purchased a Pfaff and so far I like it a lot. I especially like the little gizmo you pull down like a walking foot kind of.

My favorite of all time was my old 1979 Viking. It got broken by someone who did not know how to sew and I still miss it.

Guest Linda S

As they say - Nothing sews like a Bernina, Nothing! It's so true. I have a Bernina 153QE, the same one that is now the Alex Anderson model, but I bought mine before Alex endorsed it. Love that machine. I also have a Singer Featherweight I use to go to classes, and I have a Willcox and Gibbs Chain Stitch machine I use to attach my quilts to my quilting machine zippers. I love them all.

Linda

Ok, Bobbi, guess I'll put my two cents in. I have a Designer 1 and Designer SE which I ablsolutely love! They cost over $1000, though. If I were to be in the market for a machine around that price I would try out a Pfaff with the walking foot, I have heard good things about it. I also have a Bernina 185 and just don't much care for it. Don't know why....sorry...to each their own.

Now for just straight stitching and piecing, especially backings I have a Juki 98 that I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE. Use it all the time, but it is heavy and not what you would want to take to classes I like Janome Gem Gold for that or a Singer Featherweiight. Did I say how I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Juki and you can buy one for about $800. What a workhorse!

You won't go wrong with a Bernina, period.

Enough said but...recently I had a nationally known quilt instructor confidentially tell me that she knows people that promote other machines in ads but she also knows what they sew on in their basement!!!

Two gals out of five in a quilting class last night would sell their machines if they could find a buyer and get a Bernina.

Good Luck in your search.

Cindy

Hi, I have three machines and they all have a place in my "world".

1958 Singer in the original cabinet - sews straight but slow, this is a great learner machine for my children. It was left to me by a great aunt when she died. The stitch quality is still good after all these years - I don't think it will ever poop out.

Kenmore (retailed for about $350) but I bought it new on ebay for $89.00 and it makes great straight even stitches and it is so easy to thread.

2034 Pfaff Expressions - LOVE IT! The stitches are wonderful, I love to machine applique on this thing. It is beautiful. It does a great blanket stitch and it looks soooo good. I do raw edge fusible applique and that's why I bought this machine for that stitch. I also bought this machine on ebay ($800) slightly used from a woman who bought it new then upgraded to a bigger machine, it retailed for over $1600.

GOOD LUCK!

Ok, I guess I'm a wierdo....Cause I could take or leave my Bernina...Yikes! Its a A Quilters edition 150, about 3-4 yrs. old. I've never had a problem with it, does what I need it to do, its just WAY too loud! I have to turn the TV up when I'm sewing. Big deal eh? lol...I mean its NOT screamin or anything, I just expected a silent machine. I machine quilt all sizes of quilts on it, no problems. I love the needle up/down, a must have, and the knee lifter. I sew garments and home decor on it also.

I've had a Bernina and loved it and now own 2 Pfaffs which are also great. My latest machine is a lightweight (12 pounds) Janome Jem Platinum. It's a riot to sew without a foot pedal(it comes with a foot pedal, but the control button is in the perfect spot to start and stop). It also has needle up/down and a speed control that is up front and can be changed at any time. I bought the Janome for classes and for travel because I don't think I have very good visibility with my Featherweight--the knob on the front is in my way and I find myself tilting my head all the time to see what I'm doing. I will only use the Janome for straight stitching, though. It's buttonhole stitches are not pretty like the ones on Pfaff and Bernina.

I have a bernina 145 and love it. I did have an old bernina 830 and sold it a few years back. Would you believe that I got $675 for the thirty year old machine. After I sold it for so much I wondered if I should have kept it.

I have heard great things about the Phaff machines and wouldn't mind trying one out. The only thing I would change about my Bernina is that it seems so slow to me when I am chain piecing and trying to get lots done fast.

Kim

I just bought a machine. Six months ago. Its the Quilt Designer II from Husqvarna Viking. I got it on sale for $2200, the regular price is $2700. Although I have been quilting for over twenty years this is my first machine. I could't be happier. This machine does everything imaginable, has 300+ stitches, and has a lot of memory to store a few hundred more. It has been difficult for me to go electronic-I am technology challenged, but I feel I should go all the way. I am planning to get a long arm machine by the end of the year. If I ever figure out how to upload photos, I will post photos of my quilts.

Archived