Setting up the machine-placement in the room

Hawaii

I have to make a decision on machine set-up....

The manual states that it is important to know before setup, which side of the machine should be facing front (middle of room) or back (against the wall). I am having a tough time putting this into words. Once the machine is setup and in place, it will be hard to turn it.

So... I am fairly comfortable with edge to edge freehand patterns (on my smaller setup) and pantographs are unfamiliar territory (but I want to improve in this area).

My thinking is that the front of the machine (freehand) should be facing the middle of the room and the pantograph table side should be closest to the wall. But am not sure and I want to make sure that I get this first step right!

I defer to your experiences and expertise..

Hawaii Barbara;)

You've got it worked out just right Hawaii Barbara! My 14' table with the back of the Millie , is 3' from the wall. That gives me PLENTY of room to get back there to suffer through pantos. :) I'm much happier on the front of the machine, working in freehand custom or with templates. Have you got Darlene Epp's Pocket Guide Books? A really great place to start.

Loved Hawaii in April....

Lisa

Lisa Langlais

Authorized APQS Rep.

6936 Conservation Drive

Springfield, VA 22153 (Wash. DC area.)

703-440-8157, Cell 703-967-2675

APQSQuilter@aol.com

WWW.APQS.COM

Revel in each other's success, knowing full well there is enough to go around. ~~~Anonymous

Barbara,

I was told that you will need more room on the panto side than on the front of your machine. This is because you need room for your body plus moving your machine back and to the side. Hope that makes sense. You may, however put one end (a side of the machine) against a wall if that will help you.

Raggie:)

The way that you describe is the way that I set up my machine, with the pantograph table closest to the wall. Just make sure that you have room to pull the machine all the way back so the lazer light is on the back edge of the table - or you have the ablility to move the machine a bit to make that work. One thing I liked about that set up was being able to lean my back against the wall and I could really go to town on those panto's and my back didn't hurt. Now, I have to take more frequent breaks so that my back doesn't get me. My first quilt "studio" was a 12 x 15 family room with french doors on one end. After we got the machine (12' table)set up, one side of the french doors could not open as the machine was that close to the end. Now I have more room to be able to move it around. I don't think there is a right or wrong way, just think through all of your particular issues, likes, dislikes, etc and it will be just right for you.

It partly depends on whether you plan to do pantos more often or freehand, and if you want to face the wall or the room when you are quilting. Personally I like to freehand better and because of that I placed my machine with the freehand side next to the wall. That way when I freehand I can still look around the room or talk to my DH. My room is pretty large though and I like to have friends come over and sew, or just talk. This way I'm facing them and not the wall with my back to them. What size room do you have to work in?

I do freehand work from the from of the machine so I have the machine set up so my back is to the wall and I face into the room. I have about 30" from table leg to the wall. That gives me plenty of move around space and room to have some rolling carts back there with me.

I think with the panto side of the machine against the wall, you would have to have about 4' from table leg to wall.....

Good question, Barbara!

I am lucky to have a big room (13'x20') and I have my Millie set up with the panto side at the wall. I still have lots of room behind to do pantos.

I do lots more front-machine work and this way my table loaded with tools, rulers, marking implements, and idea books is right behind me and close at hand. The only thing I have hanging on my machine is my scissors on the front laser spindle.

Good luck with your new adventure and let us know how the set-up is progressing!

Linda Rech

Barbara,

Sorry the manual is a bit confusing! When you are standing on the "freehand" side of the machine, your body will move to the left and right along the rollers, but rarely will you need to "step back" away from the machine as you quilt. Your arms and the handles move over the quilt surface, so your body does not really move forward and back with it; you'll just move left and right.

However, on the pantograph side of the machine, the handles are down lower and are more "upright". Therfore, as you move the handles and follow a pantograph with the machine, your body will ALSO move forward and back as well as left and right.

Leave a minimum of 1-1/2 feet of space between the "freehand" side of the machine and the wall (a bit more if you're like me and blessed with an abundance of natural "insulation"), and about 3 feet on the pantograph side of the machine. The end of the machine that does NOT have the motorized feed can also be put against the side wall.

Hope this clears things up a bit better!

Dawn

Thank you, Dawn,

That makes perfect sense and I have printed out your clear explanation, to add to the assembly manual.

We (my wannabe APQS serviceman and his technically-challenged sidekick - me) are probably going to start working on it tonight - a step at a time.

Am taking several classes with you at Innovations, one with Mark on maintenance, and another with Karen McTavish. BOY DO I FEEL BLESSED!!!!

Hawaii Barbara:D

I look forward to meeting with you!

You and your hubby will do just fine. I'll be up a bit late tonite (CDT) as I'm getting ready to head to Indianapolis to work with Mark at a Road Show, and as usual, I'm not ready. So if you get stuck, post it here and I'll check later or early tomorrow to see if you're doing okay.

Have fun; it's not hard. You'll be fine.

My grandparents used to put a bottle of wine on the table when they had to work together on a project (putting up wallpaper was the worst), and their rule was that when one of them was about to lose his or her patience with the other, he or she had a sip of wine instead. By the end of the night, they were still speaking to each other, but I'm not sure the wallpaper always hung straight by the time they got to the last roll (or last drop!) :).

Keep us posted...

Dawn

Dawn,

The machine IS set-up and in great running order. I have been practicing - using the exercises in the manual as a starting point (thank you very much).

I did have some thread breakage, initially (and then adjusted the tension in the bobbin - was using prewound bottom-line and the original setting for that thread was too loose). I also loosened my wheels a bit (at first my circles were squared off) and now they look more like circles.

The quilting plan - is to practice an hour a day, till I am feeling more confident. I have 5 unfinished tops hanging (my own) and will load them and try out some of my pantos and maybe some swirly girly feather (aka Kim Brunner).

I tried my first panto (on practice musline) - holding my breath all the way! And after I got through that initial fear, I think I CAN DO IT (without the fear and trepidation).

In the meantime - I have been staying away from surfing (the net that is), so that I can spend more time with my new "baby".

Looking forward to your classes in September, Dawn - I am chomping at the bit to put into practice all I am learning!

Grateful,

Hawaii Barbara:P

Okay, this is probably a dumb question.

When I had my Gammill I had the freehand side facing the center of the room. If you have the panto side facing the center, how do you load the quilt onto the rollers? My Gammill loaded from the freehand side and I don't think I would have had enough room from the wall side.

When I decide on a new machine it will go into a 12x16 room. It would leave more room to have the freehand side to the wall but will it be difficult to load?

I know I am a little late on replying here but I have my free motion

side to the wall. I am extremely jumpy and I was worried that someone

would walk into the room and scare me enough to screw up

someone's quilt. With the free motion side to the wall I can see the

door and I don't have many surprises.

goofy huh

Michele

Archived