My First Customer!!

Certainly not as elaborate as some that I've seen here! It's just a little wall hanging, only 19x22.

She didn't really want stippling in the background, so this is what I came up with. I came here last night looking for swirl ideas and found them. The only thing I'm not really happy with is the echo quilting on the bear. But, oh well, it's finished and I hope she likes it.

Question for you all....if I charge .02/inch for custom work, then this piece would only be $8.36. Should I have a minimum charge?

post--1346189840716_thumb.jpg

I just raised my minimum to $50.00, but I always make my customers feel they are getting some kind of special. In this case I would tell them that I was not charging them for tax, thread or batting, something like that. They always really apprecitate something for nothing and I would rather they feel I was being fair, but not undercharge myself in the meantime.

I also have a minimum but will reduce the price in special circumstances.

As far as how much the minimum should be--remember you spent time with the customer at in-take discussing designs and thread and again at pick-up. Add that time to your loading and stitching time and you see why a minimum is a good idea.

Don't give your work away---BTW, most of us charge .04 to .05 per inch for custom.

That is definitely custom work !! Very nice quilting!!

Beautiful quilting. Ruthie, you work is worth far more than $8.00. Having a minimum charge is good and I think everyone realizes that it takes your time to talk to them, put it on the machine, the thread etc....and all of this adds up. I'm sure that your customer will love your work.

Thanks for all the input today. I really appreciate it and it made me feel not quite as nervous. But I was still nervous!!

When she picked it up, I told her that the quilting charge was $8.36 and that I have a setup charge for small items of $20, so she wrote a check for $28.36.

I probably could have gone higher, but I didn't want to press my luck this first time. She said she would call me again, so I'm happy!

Archived