Hated Quilt finished- finished pictures

I am so sick of this thing that I could just scream Here are a few pictures. The thing is not cooperating worth anything.

Every time I hit one of those big lumpy seams my presser foot catches and I end up breaking thread. I've broken a needle, broken bobbin thread more times than you can count, steamed, sizinged, cursed, pinned, repinned, repressed, etc.

Sorry I just needed to vent. Here are some pictures of the offensive project.

post--13461898605786_thumb.jpg

Breathe Teresa! I know it's hard to hold back when you want to toss it out the window with a few choice words to follow. Try slowing down the pace on your machine, and moving a bit slower. I cant tell if your using white or mono poly thread. If it is mono poly, try loosening up the tension, and only putting the thread thru the 3 hole thread guide, in the last 2 loops (on the bottom) only.

Dawn C. gave excellent worded directions a couple days ago about thread breakage and how to set your machine. It DOES help!

Oh YUCK is right! I've had two of those (same lady) and I stretched them to the springing point - you know - toss a coin and watch it bounce? Then meandered the heck out of it. She was pleased and I was glad to get rid of them. I was really really busy the next time she called and gave her the name of a new quilter in the next town. Gotta break those newbies in, right?

Teresa,

If I remember right this is an old top, is that right? Sometimes they are a pain in the neck to work on. I think Sheri is right, try to slow down and be rady when you come to a seam. I know how totally frustrating it can be when your thread keeps breaking. Keep plugging. The quilitng looks great, you are doing a wonderful job, and I know the customer is going to love it when it's done....and you will get done ;)

Chin up my friend...and know we are here with ya!!

Hand pieced tops can be such a nightmare, and it looks like this one is very loosely stitched. I would have selected a freehand allover, so I could avoid the bulky seams. The other nice thing about working from the front is you can use your left hand to kinda smooth the excess fabric.

I feel your pain, my sister. Just keep goin' and tell em that was the best that could be done. A quilt like that should almost qualify for hand quilting (very LOOSE hand quilting)

Teresa;

I have had my share of those quilts as well, horrible bulky seams that as you approach them you wonder if this time your needle would break and wonder if you will even have enough needles on hand to make it through the quilt.

Fortunately right now I have a great quilt on my machine, the customer works at the LQS and always does perfection when it comes to her piecing, perfectly square no fullness or weak seems and best of all no bulky seams. I am truely enjoying this quilt...these seem to be far and few between though, lol. Mostly we all get tops that have a flaw for whatever reason.

Hang in there.

Teresa, hang in there and hope you get through quilting this thing without many more upsets....

Not trying to brag (really I'm not!), but before I got my longarm, I sent my tops to a local gal here to be quilted. She always told me how nice my tops were pieced and how they layed flat with no problems... I told her "Well, I guess the many hundreds of dollars I invested in taking all those quilting classes, reading those books and other stuff has finally paid off!" LOL!... :P:P

Hey, I am not perfect, I don't think I will want to be, but I try hard to piece my tops so they are nice and flat and square. Call me weird, but I actually enjoy the challenge! :)

The two she sent were pieced by her and they are absolutely exquisite. One is a pinwheel log cabin in shades of purples, the other is a Christmas quilt. I would really like to do something special on them, especially the Christmas quilt, but she insisted that is just be the penny a sq. inch quilting. I'll take some pictures of the Christmas quilt and post them so I can get ideas from you all.

Whew...at least that is out of your hair now. :) It didn't turn out bad, I know you were concerned about the "D" cups, but looks like you were able to tame them very well...its so hard when you get a quilt like this that you just want to crawl into bed and hide. Good job, now off to something you can enjoy.:P

Thanks guys. And thank you Bonnie for keeping me on the phone fixing the problems. You are truly a life saver.

The purple log cabin she sent is going to get the CL Baptist fan. It will look good and it's quick. Unless I change my mind between now and tomorrow. I will post a picture of the other one on the pictures page so you can all take a look and give ideas. It is really pretty, and I don't want to just do an edge to edge holly or something on it.

I did find a really pretty Christmas panto, but I stink at pantos. One reason is there's not really room to get behind the machine and drive. The CL is a bit easier to maneuver back there. It seems like I don't need as much elbow room to CL as I do to panto.

Archived