Unusual fabric

That is HUGE, and really neat. I like it. I like the peacock meander idea Heidi mentioned with the b&w variegated thread Bonnie mentioned. Great feedback. Either peacock or feathery meander (similar to the leafy trees in the fabric design). It is super busy fabric, so don't over do it too much with the quilting cuz it won't show so much unless you have a less-busy backer. Please share when done, Karol.

PS: How is your "Fabric neighborhood" coming along? :) I wanna see pics when you get that quilt put together. So cute, I am sure!

It is just one big piece of really cool fabric. I was thinking about some kind of geometric, African looking designs. Or possibly a figure (warrior/hunter type) and some huts and trees, maybe.

Please think about this one, and let me know what you would do with it.

thanks much,

Karol that sounds good - Dawn C. had an overall she showed us at class

(in her booklet too) that is like an overall made up of triangles... just free

hand stuff, but I think you are on the right track with this. I like the black

and white varigated thread idea too!

Karol, I think when I put rays on a quilt I\'d made of meandering bargello, I used a long 1 by 2 board.. I then marked equal distances around the quilt but out from the center spot, and then marked from one edge where the binding would go, to the other all the way across the quilt, using the board as the line guide. I think I had hubby help me hold it steady until each line was marked. .. it worked Great, even on a regular machine, using a walking foot.

You can do it..

RitaRose

Karol, You can make the rays with a piece of freezer paper. Trace your circle onto a piece of freezer paper (you may have to tape a few sheets together to get it big enough. Cut out the circle.Then, decide how many divisions you want. Fold the circle in half, then quarters, then eighths, 16ths, whatever you decide. Unfold the paper. You should have x number of equal ray shapes. Lay the paper circle on the circle of your fabric. You can iron it down if you need to make sure it doesn\'t slip. Then use your ruler to just extend the lines straight out from the center of the circle. Voila! equally spaced rays all around your circle.

I\'ve done this and it works, it\'s just time consuming.

• 4 weeks later...

It\'s getting close to time to get started on this one. I appreciate all the input. I am thinking about dividing the space with rays, and need to know if I should start in the middle and work out, like you would do in hand quilting. I plan to mark it first, using my favorite marking tool, a sliver of soap.

Once, the rays are quilted, I\'m thinking about a geometric pattern that is generally circular, like the print. Maybe it will then look like it is spiralling out from the center. The batting and back are solid black, and I plan to use black thread. (I\'m not quite confident enough yet to go for lime or pink!!!)

Hoping for some expert advice before I begin. Have never attempted rays before, but I want to try.

thanks and happy holidays,

Archived