Quilted Sweatshirt

Very cool!

What pattern did you use for the sweatshirt? Did you use batting or just the sweatshirt and a lining? Did you open up the seams?

I bought one of those dyed sweatshirts with the plan to embellish it with applique and embroidery. It is still in the closet. I would love to quilt it!!!!!

thanks! I took the sleeves off and opened up the shoulders and of course cut down the middle of the sweatshirt. I spray basted them to the backing fabric and machine basted the edges to the backing fabric. I marked the spine on the sweatshirt and marked my clamshells on the bottom before putting it on the machine. I didn\'t use batting and by lining and binding fabric was cotton. It takes about two to two and a half yards of backing fabric to do the sweatshirt. I got the idea from Karen Mctavish\'s Art of Mctavishing\'s book, but that had no instructions. So, there is some prep work, but it really looks nice. My feathers were freehand, I practice a lot because I really love to quilt them. To put the sweatshirt back together, I serged the seams and made bias binding for the edges. thanks, Sue

Thanks for posting this... I was trying to do this before the holidays, but was using a (way to stretchy) velvet for the lining (was gonna be the outside).... I love your idea of taking off the sleeves it makes real sense. I had tried over and over to get the shoulder area flat - to no avail! now I know why! I think I\'ll finish it this week! thanks sue sooooo much for that great tip...

did you use 45" or 60" backing fabric? will either work?

the fabric was 45". The sweatshirt was size large, I would make sure the sweatshirt you use is a little generous. I did my prep work on the sweatshirt first, also with a temporary marker marking the left and right sleeve to make sure I got them put back on okay. I then put my backing fabric on the machine, laid out the sweatshirt. For my next sweatshirt, I didn\'t have quite enough fabric to lay it out all at once, so I quilted the back and one arm, then put the backing fabric on the machine and quilted it. I spray basted the sweatshirt to the machine then machine basted the edges. You could probably machine baste the sweatshirt before putting it on the longarm too. It really looks good. I\'m not a great Mctavisher, so you could use crosshatching or any other design around the feathers. I have a flexible ruler I use for my feather spine. I went to Deloa Jones retreat last year to learn some of the filler techniques. This has been a lot of fun. I \'m working on my third sweatshirt now. I use superior so fine on this one and my next one (already gifted the shirt) I used isacord on the top and bottom and embelished the feather and it really turned out nice. thanks for your comments. I having a lot of fun with this. sue

Hi Sue,

I just love your sweatshirt! I want to make one like that, maybe in the spring.

I did make a sweatshirt jacket last year, but it was done very differently. Mine was from a set of directions from "Just Jennifer" that I bought at the quilt show in Paducah. It is a raw edge applique jacket. It starts by opening the sweatshirt, then randomly sewing pieces of fabric down - all shapes, different sizes, differenct colors and designs. The pieces are satin stitched onto the sweatshirt; pieces should all overlap so none of the sweatshirt shows. Lace, ribbons, crystals, etc can also be added. After it was all covered with fabric, I did a simple meander all over it. The meandering was about the size of a dime, maybe a bit smaller. I had mostly shades of lavendar and sage with some beige. I used Rainbows by Superior in shades of lavendar. I bound the edges with one of the fabrics that appeared in the jacket. I really like it alot, however, if I make that one again I would make it larger! This one "just fits."

The directions called to cut off the sleeve and the bottom ribbing. After the jacket is covered with fabric, the neck ribbing gets cut off (do that last to keep the neckline from stretching during the sewing). Next cut the sides of the shirt open along the seam line and continue opening all the way down the sleeves. At this point you would have one peice of sweatshirt, but opened up so it would lay flat. After all of the sweatshirt was covered with fabric, stain stitched and then meandered, I cut the front open and cut off the neck band.

Mine was done on a Bernina, but this would be a good way to baste it onto your backing fabric on a LA and start feathering, etc.

Another set of directions I have calls for you to make darts in the front and back, and to alter the baggyness (is that a word?) around the sleeve and armpit area. After the fitting is done, proceed as above.

Perhaps those suggestions will spark some ideas for anyone interested in making a sweatshirt jacket.

thanks for your post, Sandra. I have a pattern from leesline\'s called"It really was a sweatshirt. (email address is LeesLines@yahoo.com). I didn\'t have any real instructions and it turned out fine. The sweatshirt was a cheapie at Meijer\'s store for about $5.00 and I had the batik fabric at home and it had a grey hue to it, so I used it. As with any project, making sure your sweatshirt is stable is very important. I also think you could add a panel to the front if you wanted to make a button down front too. thanks again! good to start out a new year with new ideas. I gave the sweatshirts to my good friends and they just love them. Sue (apqs Milli)

Dian Keepers has a sweatshirt pattern for $8. I got mine at Bayside Quilting. She also sells them on her web site. Google Keepers Kustom Quilting if you are interested.

I made one this fall and have nothing but compliments on it! It is also great advertising because whenever you are standing somewhere in line you will be asked about it! Sew in a small pocket for those business cards!!

Something else to add about Dian Keeper\'s pattern--the sleeves were left on for quilting.

The ribbings were all removed and the shirt was cut up where the side seams would be, up the front and layed out flat on the loaded backer.

It was spray-basted on and then stitch-basted around the edges before stitching in the interior.

It took 3 3/4 yds. of backing fabric but that included the binding.

thanks linda for the information. I wasn\'t sure where to look for a pattern. That would cut down on some of the sweatshirt prep time. I was able to use about two and a half yards of backing fabric including the binding. Happy new year and looking forward to new sewing creations! Sue

Archived