Renea's Amazing Rays

I have the first set of arcs and I use them all the time (12-23 inch circles). I bought then for a large swag border on a wholecloth. I\'ve also found that they are great for whenever you need a gentle curve in a feather vein. I\'ve also used them for curved crosshatching. They do not have any etching, so you would need to create your own if you want them etched.

Debbi

I love love love them. I also like to mark with them.

I like them more than any other tool as far as rulers that I have purchased. I think I still have two sets to get to have the whole package.

I got mine from Myrna except for one I purchased from Ranae herself at MQS last year.

I love the small one too. I\'m marking a quilt with it this week as a custom wholecloth baby gift.

Hope you like them too but hey anything that looks as good as her work takes work.

PS Her videos on how to use them is really good also.

Grammie

I have both the large and small circle ray and I think all but one set of arcs. I have to check. I love it all.

It\'s alot to purchase is one whack so I went with the 12" set first and I just kept adding. Check Myrnas\' site as she shows each set. Off the top of my head I don\'t have the sizer memorized. lol

You can get as creative as you want with these tools. You don\'t have to do just what Ranae does. After you play a bit you will see some ideas that are your own. Really fun.

• 5 months later...

Gable,

I use the ray to mark the design and then the arcs to quilt the design. I have the mini-ray and all the arcs to complete the sizes of circles that the mini-ray does. Her DVD is well worth the money! She has has lots of pictures on her website that will give you a good idea of how they were designed to be used.

I'm thinking of ordering these too, but was confused as to what to start with. So I sent Renae a note asking if she had a recommended starter set. Here's her response.

I do have a recommended starter set. I recommend that people buy the longarm DVD, the Miniray and arc set #1. If people know they are planning to do something large I recommend that they buy the larger ray at the same time because there is a substantial savings if they are purchased together. Also, if you like to piece your quilt tops and Mariner's Compass blocks are your style I recommend you get the piecing DVD as well. It also has a discount when purchased with other items.

I recommend that people wait on the arc sets and purchase the proper size for the project they are doing. The arcs are a bit expensive and I wouldn't want people to have a bunch of acrylic arcs that don't get used. If you need that size they are invaluable...but if you don't...money is wasted.

It becomes more clear in the DVDs.

I hope that helps!

Renae

Thanks for asking Georgene! I was wondering the same thing. I actually went to Renea's site last night and put some things in the shopping cart. I let it sit there until this morning......still haven't ordered because I wasn't sure what to get.

Dilemma is do I really need them or do I want them because everyone is saying what great tools they are and if I don't have them, I won't be able to quilt as well.

Doesn't help that my dh is saying to get them if I want them. With his money or my business money, I ask!?!?!? :D :D

I'm still thinking about them, but at least now I know what I can get to start with!

Laurie,

I wasn't sure either if I would use them but now I want the big set too! You just have to ask yourself if you do much with circles or if you want to do wholeclothes. The DVD is the best money spent and as a matter of fact you can apply some of the things without even buying any of the tools. The sweetest thing about Renae is that she won't sell you something if she thinks it is wasting your money! LOL just like MB's respsonse that is what she says in class too. I took her class at MQX and would highly recommend it although the DVD gives you 10 x's what you get in class and you can watch it over and over! I regreted not buying the big set too. Now I haven't used all my arcs but they are just so helpful if you are planning on quilting a big circle or curved cross hatching. I will save and get my large set next. I have had it since April and I've already used them 2 times. I keep thinking of other ways to use them too.

I will definately get the dvd! And I want the mini rays. I just don't know what arcs would be the best bet.....

perhaps just the small ones for now......

It isn't so much circles I need to make. I do have the Hartley fence..... I want to be able to make the rays and quilt them with out a wobble!

I was battling back and forth if I should get these or not. The more I think about it, I just don't have a need right now. None of my customer quilt warrent them, and none of my quilts do either. Now, that being said...something will come up!:D I would love to have them, because I love the look on every quilt I have seen. Laurie, let me know!!

I couldn't figure out how to get a pix on "post reply" area so I started a new Amazing Ray's post. Sorry. I'm not the most computor literate person in the world. I think the rays are great fun. I have both sizes and all the arcs. I did use the arcs to make the circles. They worked quite well.

Archived