Bobbin Snarls

Hello, I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some advice. I am getting some tangles of bobbin thread on the back. I\'ve been using Gutermann bobbin fil on the top and bottom. The backlash spring in the bobbin has some bounce as referred to in other posts here, so I\'m guessing that part is working ok. This only seems to happen when I am using the really fine thread. I was wondering if I should be using the bobbin genie washers, do we use them (Millenium machine)? If so, do they go over the top of the backlash spring? Also I was wondering if a finer needle might help, I am using an MR4. Anyone got any advice on what type of finer needle to get? I\'ve posted a couple of photos, of the tangle on the back and one of the top to see the type of quilting (I bring my threads to the top to start and stop), the tangles appear randomly. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

post--13461899123992_thumb.jpg

I\'m going to chime in since no one else has. My first suggestion would be to re-thread the whole machine, top and bobbin, and not just tie the next top thread on and pull it through. Be sure that you are in the tension discs, bobbin is loaded correctly. Put in a new needle too, maybe you\'ve got a bad one. I don\'t think it\'s your quilting, but maybe the type of thread? Grab a practice sandwich and see if you get the tangles when you work on a different group of fabric.

Good luck,

Beth

From a man\'s, and service tech\'s, point of view -- from the top picture, the back of the quilt, it looks like the loops are top thread (usually loops on the side opposite the problem). Try tightning the top tension since you say you are using a finer thread than usual on top.

Johnmach

Hi

I have a an idea it might not work. When the thread comes off the cone sometimes it has a huge surge and alot comes off and this can happen (it used to happen to me) The two solutions i know of are thread netting or better yet a piece of poly batting in the thread holder that comes off the back of the machine. Lightly stuff a small piece in the loop then thread the machine.

I tried the nets first but they would slowly come off the cone and get stuck in the thread holder thingy causing even more headaches. I stilll have the same poly batting in mine for the past several months. When sewing with difficult thread I add a drop or two of sewers aid on the batting. It has worked wonderfully.

Good luck

Melora

I had that problem quite a bit with my old machine, and we finally figured out the top thread was catching on something in the throat plate area. Once we got it all sanded off, the problem stoppe. I agree with John, it is the top thread.. at least it was in my case.

RitaR

Thanks everyone, I had tried some of the options previously. Johnmach, I think you may be right, I don\'t know why I didn\'t think it could be top thread. I have been using a thread net, I will put the batting in the thread holder and tighten the top tension. I don\'t know of Sewers Aid in Australia, but I will find out. Will check for throat plate snags too. Thanks so much.

Judy, have you found your problem yet? If not, you may want to cut a 1" ring off of an old knee high nylon stocking and run that thru the tension, thread eyes etc to make sure there are no burrs. If there are, you will snag the stocking. Also, at a recent LA meeting I went to, there was a gal there that used a thread to get under the finger on your bobbin and use it like dental floss to get out any little pieces of thread that may get stuck in there. Look at your empty bobbin and under the outside finger spring thing, stick your thread thru that very small space between it and and the bobbin body then pull thru and then toward the narrow end of the spring. Almost every time I have done this since I found out how to do it, I\'ve had a small amount of thread come out which could have ended up in the bobbin and causing more problems. Just a suggestion.

PROBLEM SOLVED

Hi Rowena and Sue,

Thanks for the input. I think I have found the problem, following the advice posted here. I took the throat plate cover off, was really looking closely at the hook assembly area and I found a small abrasion, probably happened with a broken needle, I smoothed it off with some emery cord, and - touch wood - haven\'t had a problem since, now that I look in the manual I see it has a section on this. Thanks everyone, very reassuring to know you\'re out there.

Archived