Quitting business...finally...

I have made a decision to quit quilting for others. It has been a long hard decision but taxes are putting to much of a bite in my business. I earn 60 cents on every dollar because of taxes. I am not complaining...it is just the way it goes. I am going to keep designing patterns, learning autosketch and play with designs. But it seems weird to have made that decision after quilting for 5 years. I haven\'t told the quilt shop yet...that will be Wednesday when I break the news to them.

Actually, it will be a relief not to constantly worry about getting the quilts done, needles breaking because the customers seam is way to thick, and dealing with backing and battings that are too small. I can start piecing tops, sewing dolls, spinning yarn, dyeing fabric and create art quilts....Hooray!

Now, I just need to finish up the quilts in my house and then play.

Cheryl

Cheryl-

:)I am so happy for you!! After a little adjustment you will love Love LOVE not doing other\'s quilts!! Your machine will be ready for you anytime you want it!! Even at 3:00 in the morning (whenever inspiration hits) Honestly, how many times have you thought "If this were my quilt I would quilt it this way not the way she said to"? Beware of friends tho... as much as we love them they all think they are the only one who wants you to just do thier top quickly as a favor, but of corse they want to pay you but it was for a friend right? Always keep in mind this saying that I have found to be sooooo true....

"When one door closes another opens" I have been lucky that things have always worked out for me. Just be aware to look for the silver linning!!;)

Sewhappy

P.S. Where are you that the taxes take so much from your business???

Sewhappy...

It is not were I am that shoots me in the water...it is the better half\'s income that puts me in the worst possible place for taxes. Plus I have to pay a business equipment tax on my machine to the county I live in and that was almost $800 this year.

I already feeling extremely good about the decision. I can\'t wait to finish all the quilts in the house and be totally free to do my projects. My daughter is so excited too...she wants her mommy back (she is all of 21 years...we are very close and good friends);):):D:P

Off to quilt some rush quilts for a shop that is going to go to Mid-Atlantic quilt show in Hampton, VA. It starts Thursday...talk about last minute quilting.

Cheryl

Just as a thought, in case it make make a difference, Cheryl, tell the County Tax Dept. WHY you are closing your business down. I don\'t understand how they can charge you a tax on Your equipment, which you didn\'t buy from them. Just boggles my mind how some eedgeet comes up with these things..

As we age, our lives change... we missed most of our grandkids growing up.. and you are right, they grow and change so fast.. you can never go back and find it again..

Enjoy! RitaR

Cheryl, now you get to be your own boss and really go for it creatively. I think things happen to all of us when the time is right. I think many quilting professionals find other outlets besides providing longarm services to customers. I think Darlene Epp and others here have given advice here on many options and I am sure there are even more opportunities. Isn\'t free enterprise a great thing? Just keep experimenting and stretching your imagination and you never know where it will lead you. The quilting industry is expanding by leaps and bounds. There is absolutely no end to what you can do. Opportunities are all welcome. I love this and it is so exciting to see new things come out of this industry.

This was meant to happen to you now and rejoice in that. Congratulations on your decision! :)

Rita,

I could go to the tax department, but if I am wrong they may charge me for the prior years that I wasn\'t taxed. So sometimes it is better to let it go than to worry about it:)

Shana...my creativity is already flowing...I just need to write down all my ideas because I still have about 25 quilts to finish up...got to stay on track for a little while:P...it will get harder as the quilts go out the door.

I am thankful that my husband says I can still up grade my machine if I chose too.

Cheryl

YUP!!! Virginia is the pitts. That\'s why I just bought a house in California and can\'t wait to move there. Virginia taxes you on books, rulers, thread, everything. I hate that I paid taxes when I bought the equipment and supplies and I pay taxes on the income I make with the equipment. Since I don\'t sell anything like batting, thread and such, I don\'t get a discount on things when I buy my supplies.:mad::mad::mad:

Sorry to see you quit Cheryl but I sure can understand why. You do beautiful work. I am jealous though.;);)

Oh, Carol...you aren\'t too far behind me...next year for you! But, you had better let me know when you and Bob are getting ready to leave town! Maybe we can get together for lunch...how is the place next to Valerie\'s for food (I know the candy factory is good:)..but I am talking about that little restaurant...don\'t know the name.

Cheryl

Carol...

I am not the best spinner...but I\'ll give you a lesson or two...

Have you ever gone to the Montpelier Sheepdog trials up at Montpelier Station (home of James and Dolly Madison...just had to add the historic note) in Oct? It is the first weekend...the herding trials are fun to watch. The booths have lots of fiber, weaving and knitting stuff. If it has rained wear mud shoes:) cuz it is a big field!:D:P

Cheryl

My daughter always cringes because I come home with a fleece or two...she thinks it stinks and is gross:D

Cheryl, after six months of quilting for others, I quit, too. It wasn\'t what I expected, it was a PITA most of the time, I didn\'t enjoy it, it took the fun out of quilting, and my husband got sick of me complaining! Once I made the decision I felt like a weight was lifted. At least I can say I tried it and figured out it wasn\'t for me. Be happy with your decision and just enjoy quilting for YOU:)

Yep...I know what you mean about a weight being lifted. I really enjoyed quilting for others when I first started. Now...it is getting a little old...I worry too much about people not liking their quilts, find imperfections (after all we are only human) and always having a backlog of 25 to 30 quilts (I know a few of you would like a backlog, but trust me it does get tedious because all you worry about is getting them quilted in a reasonable amount of time) and people not giving me enough backing or batting no matter how many times you let them know you need it larger.

Like I said in the first post, it is the taxes that sink me. My husbands accountant said that if I was doing this business to make money that I needed to stop, because it isn\'t going to happen...so I am.

Cheryl

Carol,

I have lived in California all of my life and believe me they also tax you on EVERYTHING! We were in farming and each and every year we paid taxes on all of the equipment, including that which was so old it wasn\'t really worth a dime.

In my bird business, each year we were taxed on all of the cages, incubators, brooders, feed, etc. All tangible equipment is taxed in California. I think we are one of the worst states for it. We don\'t farm now but did keep a tractor and a backhoe on our ten acres just to lift things and occasionally clean out the pond. We are taxed on those two pieces each year by the county even tho we are not in business. This is one reason I don\'t have a \'quilting business\', I keep everything on a hobby basis and below the radar. You will pay a big tax on everything you do out here:-(

Congrats Cheryl,

I\'m enjoying my time in the workroom creating and testing designs and playing you might say at some things I\'ve been wanting to see if my ideas would work. Some do and some don\'t but its fun proving or disproving. lol

I still do a quilt once in a while for the Shop or a special customer but I\'m not taking quilts all the time. I get to be picky you might say. Hard to turn down a quilt that lets me quilt what I like to quilt or try something new.

I\'ve been piecing this week and I am really enjoying it so much. Making lots of goodies small and large and not all quilts either. Just having fun. Digiting up a storm also. I quilt and when I need to sit I digitize back and forth I go.

Best wishes with your designing. Your off to a great start that\'s for sure.

Again congrats to you,

Hugs

GrammieTammie

The county I live in does the same thing. We pay personal property tax on our cars, trucks, trailers, boats, etc every year. When I bought my machine I received a notice from them regarding my equipment so I turned in everything I use in my business. Like a dumb butt, I turned in my sewing machine so now I pay business property tax on that too. I think total I pay around $400 a year. But I know so many quilters around here that have a business, but have not registered so they avoid paying those fees....ask me how mad that makes me!!

When we lived in Napa, Ca, and I had the Ceramic Shop, 1978-1980, they taxed me on everything and I had to list EVERYTHING, right down to one rubber band, 2" OR one small Paper Clip, three spans of staples and 34 more.. etc.. it really was a pain.. luckily, a lot of that was Co control and has since eased up...... A Bit!

RitaR

Archived