Agreed to make a Tee Shirt Quilt

Hi Everyone,

A few weeks ago I posted a picture of a quilt I made for my next door neighbor, Jeanette, who had both knees replaced. Well, her son and daughter-in-law were visiting today. Jeanette showed them the quilt and they loved it. Great...but not the end of the story.

Tracey, the DIL, came over to talk to me. She asked me if I would consider making a tee shirt quilt for her. Less than a year ago their son died from brain cancer at 6 or 7 years old. The tee shirts are his. She has wanted someone to make a tee shirt quilt for her, but came to a road block each time a co-worker or friend gave her a lead to a quilter. Then she found out I can make quilts.

So, of course I agreed to make this. It isn\'t as though I could say no to such a request. As most of you know, I don\'t have a LA yet, and I\'m not in business, so I said I would do this as a gift to her and her husband. (Go ahead, hit me over the head!)

I lent her a book on Memory Quilts to look ever and get ideas. She will pay for the fabric/expenses, but I will not charge her for my time. When I get back from beautiful Alaska, we plan to get together and discuss her ideas. I want her to design the quilt that is in her mind...with a bit of my guidance. I want this to be as perfect as possible, and exactly what she wants. She will cherish this memory quilt for the rest of her life. This young mother is in her early 30s. So by the end of our conversation we were both in tears, and she is so excited about the quilt.

I never made a tee shirt quilt, but we will form some design ideas together. My question to all of you is, what kind of stabilizer is best to use on tee shirt quilts? All I know is that they are smaller than most 6-7 year old kids shirts would be, since he was sick for several years before he finally went to heaven. Many are super heros (how appropriate!), so will be bright colors, but small squares due to the small size of the shirts.

Sorry to ramble, but I am on my third glass of wine, but without the chocolate. This is going to be rewarding, but very emotional.

Thanks for reading this, and pass the tissues.

Sandy

You want a fusible interfacing for medium weight fabrics. Some interfacings are less invasive or add less bulk than others. If you have a local quilt shop, they may have the "perfect" T-shirt interfacing material. You may also want to get a an "iron" sheet so you don\'t damage the decals on the shirts. I used two different sizes of square rulers...one for the initial cut and one for the final cut...Good luck and have fun! Post pics when you are done!!

Sandy, you were on your 3rd glass of wine when you wrote this... any you didn\'t have any typos??? :P Wow, you are good. I\'d be misspelling everything! ;)

OK, enough silly and back to serious: Wow, what a heartbreaking story! :( But, so cool that mom wants to take those little guy\'s tshirts and make a quilt. That is so sweet. I know you will do a beautiful job. :)

See you soon......

Shana

Shana,

There were lots of typos, but I fixed them before I hit send. :) I had just poured my 3rd glass, but didn\'t drink it yet.

Stories like this really make me count my blessings!

Yes, see ya soon. It was great talking to you yesterday. ((((Hugs)))).

Joanne,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will stop at my (or Shana\'s LQS) and see what they suggest. This quilt has to be as good as I can do.

Sandy, that is a heartbreaking story. I had decided a long time ago that if anyone asked me to make a t-shirt quilt I would give them someone else\'s name :P, but it would be hard to say no to such a request. The project might just be theraputic for the mother, remembering the good times while she plans the memorial quilt. This certainly puts things in perspective, doesn\'t it.

Cathey,

I agree that this will be therapeutic for Tracey. I think it will be good for my neighbors, too, as they are the grandparents, not to mention how I will feel being a part of this memory.

Having Tracey guide me along the way will get her to actively participate, so she will feel this quilt is more a part of her than if I just took the bag of shirts and called her in a month.

I\'m glad I have about 2 weeks to "digest" this evening\'s conversation with Tracey and get my emotions under a bit more control. I am also thinking about asking Tracey if she wants to incorporate some pictures of her son in the quilt. I never did that, either, so this will be quite a learning experience in more ways than one.

Sandy

Sandy,

Many blessings on you for taking on this emotionally-charged project. No doubt the emotions will be at the surface a lot during the design process, so have lots of kleenex handy!

On the t-shirt process, do get an "ironing sheet" and be sure to warn Tracey ahead of time that some transfers don\'t do well in this process. I had two visibly identical t-shirts, chose one to put in a quilt, went to iron it to the interfacing, and the design melted. I changed to the second shirt (since all the rest of my designs had worked just fine under ironing at that temp) and it did just fine. I\'m guessing that the ink in the first design had missed some important step in the transfer, or it had not been washed and dried enough (to set the ink). Anyway, warn her ahead of time that "things happen."

Also, your idea of including a photo of her son in the quilt is priceless! What a special way to help her remember her son in his best times! What about her maybe finding a photo of her son in one of the t-shirts?....

Good luck with the whole process and remember we\'re all here to help and advise when necessary - but I know you\'re going to do a bang-up job! Be sure to post pics along the way!

Thanks, Barb. I really love the support, understanding and encouragement I feel from the quilters on this site. You are all my best friends!

I\'m sure I will have more questions along the way, but I am confident that I will get my answers here. It\'s such a good feeling.

Thanks everyone!!! (((HUGS)))

Sandy what you are doing is so nice. I have made two tee-shirt quilts. One with interfacing on the back of the tee shirt square and one without. I haven\'t heard anything from either person so I guess they have stayed together. I can\'t imagine losing a child, cancer is so rotten.

Charlotte

Thanks for doing that for them, Sandra. Your heart is helping their hearts, too!

The one shop gal here in town makes a lot of Tshirt Quilts and uses the iron on stabilizer, but says she also heavily sprays the top onto the batting. I don\'t like heavy spray glue even could I breathe, so have not tried that.

God Bless and hugs too, to you and the little guy\'s family.

RitaR

Hi Sandra,

I use Pellon SF101 for t-shirt quilts. I\'ve got the better part of a bolt here, let me know if I can send you some for this project.

Most assuredly, get an ironing sheet. Can\'t think what the real name is, but they are invaluable for this. Maybe it\'s the "Pressing and Applique" sheet, or something like that.

Bless you for this wonderful project.

Beth

Charlotte, Rita abd Beth - Thanks for your good wishes, too. It means lots to me.

Beth - Thanks for the suggestion to use Pelon SF101. I\'ll check it out at my LQS. If I can\'t find it, I\'ll let you know. I already have a Teflon pressing sheet. I hope that is the same. I use it when I\'m using Steam-A-Seam products for applique.

The people on this list are so helpful!!!!

Sandra,

I\'ve taught classes on making t-shirt quilts. (I have another 2 classes scheduled in April.) I recommend a WOVEN light wieght fusable interfacing. You can get it at Joann\'s or WalMart, for that matter. (I order it by the bolt at Joann\'s with my 40 or 50% coupon.)

You cut the t-shirts up the sides through to the sleeves so you can lay them flat. I iron them, rough cut, then iron on the fusable. Now they can be precision cut with the rotary cutter. Once they are stablized, I just treat them like a piece of fabric and put sashing, incorporate them into blocks, add photos printed on fabric, etc. They quilt fine. Never have a problem with them because they don\'t separate or stretch. I\'ve done many, but prefer to teach people how to do them themselves so they can easily be quilted with a longarm.

Lauren Kingsland wrote a great book - The Extraordinary T-Shirt Quilt - A Scrapbook You Can Sleep Under. I\'ve made several quilts using her techniques - the book is very clear and has great design ideas.

The best technique is to NOT cut the excess of the t-shirt until AFTER you have stitched the sashing to the fused t-shirt. You mark the EDGE of the t-shirt block (not the seam line - 1/4" around the finished size), line up the sashing on the marked edge, stitch, then trim the excess t-shirt material. Helps prevent stretching.

Book has photos, etc. I think you can get it on Amazon. Lots of ideas and photos.

Julia

This T-shirt quilt has been on my mind all night. For tiny kids..have any of you been asked to do one for like a 2 year old and under? Why I\'m asking is our \'\'baby\' grandson is 13 now and I don\'t have contact with folks with tiny kids, when I can take the time and talk and look at them.

What I\'d like to try one day should the occassion arise is use the whole front of the shirt, the sleeves, the body, the collar and hem, and Piece it into the woven fabric as it would look laid out to wear. What are the thoughts on this.? Do you think it would work by sewing on the seam lines, the hem lines, the collar, etc to fasten it down then quilt over that?

It might work for a slightly older child, depending on what the parent/friend, etc wants.. My minds busy if nothing else. :)

RitaR

I kinda think there must be many right ways to do these as I am seeing a varity of things people have done.

I just finished the binding of my first one today (it is for a customer). I had to fit 88 t-shirts into a king sized quilt.........boy was that a puzzle.

In any case I bought a book on making them and the quilt store also told me to use a fusi knit which I did. Got it at JoAnns with a 40% off coupon. You want the stretch of the fusible to go the oposite way of the shirt. USE A PRESSING CLOTH and check the heat so you do not melt the desing on the fusilbe but make sure it is hot enough to stick. My fusible said to use steam so I sprayed them with a spray bottle before fusing.

I rough cut the shirts and then fused then cut to the size I wanted. I used 1/2 inch seams (the book recomended this and it worked fine for me).

I am like Rita and thinking of doing a t-shirt quilt for my twins - they are almost 2 and I\'d like to use the favourite T-shirts they have grown out of. I am think of stitching them on a background fabric so the T-shirts are in full, sleeves and all etc. I realise it will make it a thick quilt, but it might be used on the wall in their playroom.

has anyone else done one this way?

Kelly

Archived