How to fix Static Cling?

juliagraves

I think I\'ve narrowed my thread breakage problem down to static cling, of which I have a tremendous amount when I use a Rainbow thread (not so much with other threads).

Here are the ideas I\'ve found so far to help with this - does anyone have any more?

- Sewer\'s Aid (I\'ve ordered this)

- Freeze the cone overnight on a baggie - spritz a little water on it first

- Get additional thread guides

- Run a dehumidifier (how long prior to sewing do I need to do this?)

Thanks!

Julia

Hi Julia--

Yep, you need a humidifier instead of the opposite. A good humidifier that works long-range is a crock pot half-filled with water and set on medium. Leave the top off. Expect the windows to steam up and be sure to unplug when you finish for the day and also replenish the water when necessary. I live in the Pacific NW and forget that when it gets below freezing here the humidity goes way down. I use this technique a couple of times in the winter.

I live in the desert and static cling is a real problem. A humidifier helps. (I love the crock pot idea Linda).

I also keep a water bottle handy and spritz my fabric and all around the room when I start to feel the electical charges.

When researching which machine to buy, someone somewhere (sorry can\'t remember) said to buy a can of static guard and spray on the fabric and thread. I haven\'t tried it yet but am planning to as soon as I get my machine.

Good luck :)

I have a quick easy and cheap helpful hint... simply take a fabric softener sheet, not used, and rub it around the fly wheel and down the thread path, you could even rub it on the needle... it will not couse any build up but it will stop static in its tracks:D When I stitch with Rainbow threads I cut out a small square from a fabric softener sheet and run the thread through it then run the thread through the back thread guide as the thread is pulled through the fabric softener it stops the static and prevents the thread from doing that twisty thing, the thread will be good from start to finish no jumping no hopping no twisting and no static;)

The thread is drying out in the winter weather. I found if you put a little piece of batting in 1st thread guide from cone and put a drop or 2 of oil in it and then put your thread over it. Then finish threading the machine. This helps for me. You can also get a small spray bottle at Wally world and use water in it and spray or sprits the cone before you start sewing. I like seeing all the different remedies to problems. I am amazed how different they are and that they work. Nita

I did something similar to the fabric sheets, didn\'t even think of the fabric sheets we are allergic to that stuff here so

it\'s not in the house. I\'ll need to get some for the sewing room, well sewing room #2. Thanks for the hint.

Anyhow, I ended up rubbing a little of the sewer lube, sewers aid, whatever you want to call it, around the machine

where the flywheel is and the finger thingy that goes up and down. My thread was seriously sticking to the machine in

that area.

Michele

All these hints are very timely. Yesterday I was having a terribly frustrating day with thread breakage. Since the thread was fraying, I switched needles, although the one I had was barely used. I tried the new titanium needles from Superior but they never seem to work on my Mille. Does anyone else have a problem with the Titanium needles? I will try the suggestions mentioned above for today\'s quilting on flannel.

Thanks for the help - even before I asked for it.

Grace

Tracye,

Chances are...part of it is your Crocs..I can\'t wear them any time of year and I think Linda Card has the same problem.

We have a terrible time with static. I light up every time I touch something. I have tried drier sheets in my shoes:) now I guess I\'ll start rubbing my machine down. Everytime I touch it to turn it on it shocks me.

We just moved into our new studio - the furnace in the house has a humidifier on it but the furnace in the studio is a wall furnace - no humidifier. Terribly dry in there. We have had static extraordinaire. When pulling extra poly batting out of the quilt - after we\'re to the end, and done - it has created so much shock that Milly has taken a stitch and turned on one or both of her channel locks without us touching a thing. We called APQS and said it was even possible to "fry" a board when there\'s that much dryness/static. We put a pot of water on top of the furnace and let it evaporate - sort of like when we were little that\'s what we did on the farm for humidity. Your suggestions are terrific and will help a lot. Thanks.

Thanks Myrna. I have looked at the difference in the needle brands and thought the titanium was a little different. I guess it is enough to make a significant difference.

I\'ll contact Superior about returning them.

Another question, does the needle size make a huge difference with some of the Rainbow type threads? I use a 4.0, but should I have some 3.5 and 3.0 also? I\'m sure APQS has those in stock to order from.

Thanks again.

Grace

I actually dip my thread cones in a little container of silicone thread lubricant the day before I am going to use them. The thread goes through the machine smoothly, no breaks or shredding. Does not change the color of the thread, and will not change or stain anything in the quilt.

I love the stuff.:cool:

Katie

Katie,

What kind of machine do you use? Just curious, Sharon Shamber came to our machine quilters guild meeting and she uses silicone too. My mom worked in a garment factory and they had buckets of silicone next to their machines to dunk the cone in. I\'m just wondering if it makes a difference on the type of machine you use.

Mary Beth,

I have a Voyager 17, so far it has done just fine. Thread lubricants are mostly used for industrial machine applications where the machines sew really fast, which is exactly what we have. It has several functions, it coats the thread and helps is glide through easier, and it also cools the needle. Instead of dipping the cones, there is also a attachment that has a reservoir that you put the lubricant into, then just run the thread through it when it comes off the cone, and then thread the machine as before.

I want to try Schmetz embroidery needles, also info from Sharon Shamber, it means re timing my machine, but that should not be too difficult.

Katie

I have a Millie, so far I have not had problems with my thread. Once in a while, when I switch to a different thread, like Rainbows or King Tut, I have to adjust my tension then it works great. I have seen the resevoirs on some machines too. I guess I will just leave that part alone for now, since I don\'t think that is a problem for me. I think I could use a humidifier.

Archived